Canada
10C / 50F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 54m 28s
Overall Rank = 172/197
Age Group = 65 - 69
Age Group Rank = 5/5
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:00am, breakfast and loaded the car for the drive to Kelowna. Arrived just before 7:00am and got set up in transition then went to wait for the pre-race meeting.
Event warmup:

The swim was a pool swim with each person starting off at 15 second intervals by our own estimate of swim times. No warm-up just jumped in when my turn came.
Swim
  • 18m 55s
  • 700 meters
  • 02m 42s / 100 meters
Comments:

The pool swim was pretty straight forward. You just started swimming and worked your way across the pool. The surface was choppy due to the succession of swimmers working back and forth.
The walls were high and there was nothing to touch or hold onto in order to get a good kick off so without flip turns I lost a fair bit of momentum at each turn.
At the end of the swim I hit the wall and then had to go back to the ladder or climb out of the pool. I felt it would take too long to go back to the ladder so I climbed out and was able to get out fairly quickly.
Once out of the water I moved quickly without running to the door and outside the pool into the cold!!! Moved down the stairs quickly and carefully then over to Transition.
What would you do differently?:

I've never swum in a 50 m pool nor in this particular pool. If I do this race again next year I will make a point in swimming in the pool and learning how to turn at these walls.
Transition 1
  • 03m 30s
Comments:

I wasted time here being a bit disorganized. I need to practice transitions.

Practice transitions.
Bike
  • 53m 2s
  • 22 kms
  • 24.89 km/hr
Comments:

I came out of transition to the mount line and jumped on and took off. The bike route was a 7.2 km loop repeated 3 times with one fair hill to climb in the route. Lots of flats and some fast downhills to make it fun.
I thought I was pushing myself but I should have pushed harder. Hopefully, experience and practice will bring up my speed.
When I reached the dismount line I got off the bike okay but I also felt intense pain at my right ischial tuberosity (sit bone). I moved as quickly as I could to transition but I had a heavy limp and was very concerned I wouldn't be able to run at all.

Ride faster/ harder.
Transition 2
  • 02m 56s
Comments:

I limped in to transition and put the pain out of my mind. I got changed and started to run to the exit for the start of the run.

Practice transitions. There is time to be saved here.
Run
  • 36m 17s
  • 5 kms
  • 07m 16s  min/km
Comments:

I was limping but the pain was minimal and as I headed out of transition I was still limping but there was no appreciable discomfort.
In fact I was moving slowly but fairly fast for me. Within a half kilometre I realized my legs were fine and I decided my legs were going to keep going. My biggest challenge was to get my HR under control.
A little further on I ran up to a portapotty for a pit stop which cost me some time but really energized me. My HR calmed down and I was able to run again.
For the first time ever I was running and keeping pace with other runners ahead of me. People were still passing me but not as fast or as often as usual.
In the last kilometre I realized I was cruising along comfortably fast and looked at my watch to see I was running at 5:54/km which is really fast for me.
I came around the last corner and ran easily to the finish line. I was tired at the finish but my wife and a group of people I train with were there to greet me and within seconds I was breathing easier and feeling pretty good.
My time wasn't great but I felt stronger - and faster - than I ever have running off the bike before. I'm hoping this run bodes well for future runs and getting stronger in general.

For the running I just want to keep doing what I've been doing and to keep getting faster.
Post race
Warm down:

High fives with my training partners and hugs from my wife. Got a water at the finish line and a Jugo Juice (really yummy). Drank my recoverite and got my gear out of transition then waited for the last athlete to finish.
Being slow myself I didn't have to wait long and she came around the last turn looking pretty good. Everyone there cheered her in.

My wife videotaped my dismount and run/ limp to transition and later videotaped my run in to the finish line. In the run to the finish you can see I was still limping although I had no pain or discomfort.

My enjoyment of the race was clouded by a sad development. During the swim a 57 yr old woman had a heart attack in the pool and they were unable to revive her. My heart goes out to her friends and family.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My performance was pretty poor but I saw small improvements that I hope will lead to bigger improvements. Overall I feel pretty optimistic.
I'm continuing to experience saddle issues which are frustrating. If I can get over them I feel I will make a leap in further improvement - not to mention just being a whole lot more comfortable.

Last updated: 2016-05-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:55 | 700 meters | 02m 42s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/5
Overall: 0/197
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: 14 lengths of a 50 m pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:30
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:53:02 | 22 kms | 24.89 km/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: 3 loops with one noteworthy hill.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 82
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:56
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:36:17 | 05 kms | 07m 16s  min/km
Performance: Good
Course: Run course was a single loop along some hiking trails with lots of variety of scenery. Quite enjoyable.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2016-05-03 12:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: Cherry Blossom Sprint Triathlon

2016-05-03 3:30 AM
in reply to: #5180025

User image

Pearland,Tx
Subject: RE: Cherry Blossom Sprint Triathlon
Good Job! George!!! Good Warm-Up Race for you!!!
2016-05-03 11:55 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Thanks Carlo, good to hear from you.  Glad you're still here.

2016-05-06 3:43 PM
in reply to: #5180025

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Nicely done , George.
Best of luck for the rest of your season!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cherry Blossom Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Cherry Blossom Sprint Triathlon

Started by dfquigley
Views: 1279 Posts: 6

2015-05-05 10:26 PM dfquigley

Cherry Blossom 10 Miler

Started by witteb
Views: 2462 Posts: 4

2006-04-04 5:56 PM BodyCheck

Credit Union Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run

Started by Skazi
Views: 1941 Posts: 3

2006-04-02 4:30 PM tnt2tri

Credit Union Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run

Started by BodyCheck
Views: 5739 Posts: 23

2006-04-07 2:18 PM konichiwa

Cherry Blossom 10 Mile

Started by chab
Views: 971 Posts: 1

2005-05-25 6:10 PM chab
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 23, 2012
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Learn what the latest research is on using caffeine, sports drinks, cherry juice and beets to improve your triathlon performance.

date : May 24, 2012
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Learn the effects that beets, cherries, sleep and body image have on your athletic performance.
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
Couch-to-sprint triathlon training programs to get you over the finish-line of your first triathlon.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.