General Discussion Race Reports! » Guelph Lake II Triathlon - Tri-A-Tri Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Guelph Lake II Triathlon - Tri-A-Tri Distance - TriathlonMini Sprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Guelph, Ontario
Canada
Trisport Canada & Subaru Triathlon Series
17C / 63F
Precipitation
Total Time = 47m 24s
Overall Rank = 39/228
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 7/28
Pre-race routine:

Got to the race early 8am (2 hours ahead) Got a prime spot on the racks, registered, did a walk about looking for changes to the layout etc. used the washroom a few times ate a powerbar. Looked for BTers found Jordan and Jon could not find Elly. Cara and Nick were there as well as Nathalie showed up to Jstrap and photo for us.
Event warmup:

Mike and I ran a 1 k loop then we did a final gear prep (wetsuit/Pam) and went to have a swim. Swam about 150mtrs to warm up get breathing settled in then it was race time!!!
Swim
  • 09m 36s
  • 375 meters
  • 02m 34s / 100 meters
Comments:

My best swim ever PB!! -3 min from last race. I felt good going into the swim so I started FOP ran and dolphin dove x3 was right up in the front. Strong crawl fo the first 50-70 mtrs passed other swimmers got hit and kicked but stayed focused. got a bit off course after the first buoy but got BOC quickly. faded a bit after the second buoy and really had to focus push for the last 50 mtrs
What would you do differently?:

Make sure to sight more frequently, work on stroke I seem to veer right.
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

PB !! Much better transition, the Pam worked wonders on the suit/heals. My new shirt with the number pouch worked great wore it under the wetsuit and it saved oodles of time over last race. Also first time with elastic laces on shoes...perfect.

Calm down a bit, I stillfelt a bit panicky and was a bit uncordinated for the first 30 sec could have shaved more time.
Bike
  • 23m 44s
  • 10 kms
  • 25.28 km/hr
Comments:

tailwind heading out was great made good time on the upgrade, headwind returning on downgrade was a bummer but a better combination. Felt strong knew I was out front as I left T1 so that gave me a real psyco boost. I pushed the entire 10Km lost my water bottle at 8 km which threw me mentally for a minute, it messed up my race plan.

Better water bottle system for next race. Continue training need to get Avg speed up to 30kmh +
Transition 2
  • 30m
Comments:

dropped bike just as I got off, no tumble just lost a few seconds picking it back up, run in was good, shouldhave racked bike forward wasted time turnig it around, still using toe traps so no shoe change fast transition. Caught up to the IM guy who passed me on the bike he was changing into his runners and burned off the 1 min lead he had gained!!

Rack bike forward, not drop it next time, practice running with bike holding it by the seat only.
Run
  • 14m 5s
  • 2.5 kms
  • 05m 38s  min/km
Comments:

Felt good exiting the bike, no walking, got into a pace early, no water on the run this time ( I always find it throws me off) started getting passed at about the 1km mark got passed by maybe 10 people. much better than last time.Still felt slow and not near my best training pace.

Keep working on running I have made steady improvements but it remains my weakest leg.
Post race
Warm down:

walk about & drink change into WARM dry clothes, eat (not heavily), missed not having a foot soak at the Elenoire tent

What limited your ability to perform faster:

running still my slowest

Event comments:

Less busy than usual due to weather, not as well set up no swim arch, no timing clock on the finish line Rainy cool day so post race was rushed and minimal...not organizers fault everyone just wanted it to be done and get somewhere dry. Overall a decent race, organization seemed off a bit from previous races.

Last updated: 2006-08-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:36 | 375 meters | 02m 34s / 100meters
Age Group: 9/28
Overall: 61/228
Performance: Good
Suit: 3/4 Ninteen
Course: rectangle, about 100 mtrs straight out, 175 mtr across and 100 back to beach, straight forward
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:23:44 | 10 kms | 25.28 km/hr
Age Group: 3/28
Overall: 17/228
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: 5 km out from the park straight mostly upgrade with 1 big (sort of ) hill. downhill return grade mostly. The road is getting a bit choppy and rough onthe return leg, wish they could pick a different route. Thankfully the paved the ditch at the bottom of the first hill.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence: 80
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 30:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:14:05 | 02.5 kms | 05m 38s  min/km
Age Group: 19/28
Overall: 104/228
Course: double loop with long hills on both ends, always tough, park raods, gravel and quasi pavement
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-09-05 10:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Guelph
Subject: Guelph Lake II Triathlon - Tri-A-Tri Distance

2006-09-05 10:22 AM
in reply to: #530901

Master
Subject: RE: Guelph Lake II Triathlon - Tri-A-Tri Distance

Ahem, you saw us post race remember? Tongue out I was still on Hwy. 89 by the time your race started.

That's a solid result too! Congrats on the swim PB, too. You can never get enough of those.

2006-09-05 11:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Guelph
My omission on the race report post race we stayed around to jstrap for the Sprint found Knapman and Jon pre race and saw Elly at the swim start. Cheered these guys on through some tough conditions coo with wind and rain most of the Sprint race but they pushed through it all. Was suprised how hard it was to pick them out of the crowds in the bike section. Great job to all.
2006-09-05 4:04 PM

User image

Expert
Guelph, Ontario
nice race reoprt.  congrats on the personal bests and sorry for the rushed meeting.. I was running late (as usual)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Guelph Lake II Triathlon - Tri-A-Tri Distance Rss Feed