General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Thoughts on Training during Summer Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-05-10 2:50 PM

Subject: Thoughts on Training during Summer
Hey all. So as mentioned in one of my other posts I am new to triathlons and have one mini-sprint under my belt. My wife is due with our second child in about 8 weeks and I don't plan to do any other races this season because I just won't be able to commit the time to train consistently and will most likely be exhausted lol. However, I am trying to figure out what my best approach should be to training for at least the next 8 weeks and the remainder of the summer to the extent things become a little more regular and I can actually plan workouts ahead of time. My guess is after the baby is born I will just hit some workouts whenever I can muster up the time and energy.

So, again I am pretty new to endurance training and am also recovering from IT band issues which have prevented me from running a lot. I had planned to cut back on swimming a bit and focus more on trying to build a better base for running (hoping to slowly build and maybe that would help my IT band issue) and biking. Do you think I should just follow one of the simple sprint plans for the next 8 weeks, then just workout whenever I can and reassess later once things calm down or is there maybe some off-season plan I could follow. Any ideas or thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!!

2016-05-10 4:22 PM
in reply to: cdoug55

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts
Subject: RE: Thoughts on Training during Summer

I'll let others chime in with what you should do in the next 8 weeks with regards to structured training, since that's never been my strong suit.

But after your kid shows up, you got it exactly right when you said "my guess is after the baby is born I will just hit some workouts whenever I can muster up the time and energy." Fit in what you can where you can, but don't worry about a plan because it'll be out the window instantly. Give yourself a couple months to figure out your routine (it will almost certainly be different from kid #1) before you try anything too structured.

And congratulations on the pending kiddo!

2016-05-10 9:41 PM

User image

If you're not planning any races, I would just work on a base. Try to get in a workout when you can. Try to get two of each discipline in a week. Try to alternate between a challenging workout and an moderate workout.
2016-05-11 9:06 AM

Congratulations on your new arrival. If it were me I would try to do another race before the baby is born, but you've already said that you aren't interested in that. Given that you say you are new to endurance sports then I'm guessing you have a lot of room to improve in all areas. If I were in a scheduling bind like you I may consider a single sport focus until the time came when my schedule became more predictable and more time available for multisport training. I'd pick a bike or run focus, whichever is your weakest. There can always be an argument made in favor of a run block because improving in the run requires consistency and frequency. Getting lost run fitness back isn't easy. If your IT bands allow it, a 6 day a week run program would give you a lot of benefits for the future assuming you maintained your running when you pick multisport up again. If you'd prefer a bike focus you could get a trainerroad subscription and do all your training at home and be available for emergencies and whatnot. Its your call really, but if I were in your shoes I think I'd focus on improving one thing until the family schedule gets more relaxed.

Most importantly, keep family first and never let your training take priority over them. Sounds like you already get that though.
2016-05-11 10:38 AM

User image

Aledo, Texas

I echo the other thoughts about base building. Having had two kids in the last three years, I can tell you that you're correct about your outlook post-baby. I was a serious runner before my first. I've done exactly three road races since he was born. My second is now 4 months old - I am finding I can get good tri training in now, but it takes a big commitment on making time that I would rather use otherwise (such as really early in the morning, during lunch, or after dinner).

Given your pending constraints, focusing on building a running base might be a great idea. You can start and end at home, and go when it's convenient instead of having to get out to a pool. Also, the duration of the run will be shorter than cycling.

With your injury history, you should ramp up your running slowly. With your new baby, keeping things conservative should be easy.

Congrats, and good luck!

2016-05-11 11:12 AM
in reply to: LundyLund

Thanks for all the responses. As mentioned I was basically going to cut swimming out for a while (maybe go here and there when I can), but just focus on running and biking since those I can do at home for now. I have an indoor trainer, so perhaps trainer road is an option or maybe I'll just do all the one-hour workouts on triathlete.com. For base building on the bike should I just do the long and slow (gradually building)? I did a 20 min threshhold test to get my heart rate zones a week or so ago.

My guess is I'll be ok for the next 8 weeks and then just totally exhausted the whole summer. I was like a zombie for 3 months after our first between being up all night and working long hours.

With my IT band issue I have basically started running from scratch. This week is 800m at a nice easy pace and I've done that a few times with no issues. Next week I will bump it up a quarter mile and see how that feels. My guess is if I can let my acclimate then perhaps by the end of the summer I'll be up to some decent distance.

2016-05-11 8:33 PM

Veteran
41° 4' 36" N 71° 56' 10" W
If you can get your bike on a trainer or get some type of stationary bike, that may be a good way to sneak in some workouts. My guess is you'll be up at night at odd intervals until the little guy or gal gets into a routine. You will be able to sneak some running in here and there. My first baby was a dream she slept all the time and was low maintenance ...my son screamed like bloody murder the entire first year.

When they got to be around 1 my mom bought me one of the jogging strollers. That was very good. I then got a double jogging stroller and took them out for a run on mornings and my wife got to sleep. A win win

Enjoy these magic years.

Now my son is 17. He can run like a 5 min mile but he still likes to go out for a long run with the old man.
2016-05-11 8:48 PM

Veteran
41° 4' 36" N 71° 56' 10" W
If you can get your bike on a trainer or get some type of stationary bike, that may be a good way to sneak in some workouts. My guess is you'll be up at night at odd intervals until the little guy or gal gets into a routine. You will be able to sneak some running in here and there. My first baby was a dream she slept all the time and was low maintenance ...my son screamed like bloody murder the entire first year.

When they got to be around 1 my mom bought me one of the jogging strollers. That was very good. I then got a double jogging stroller and took them out for a run on mornings and my wife got to sleep. A win win

Enjoy these magic years.

Now my son is 17. He can run like a 5 min mile but he still likes to go out for a long run with the old man.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Thoughts on Training during Summer Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

PRE on bike + HR != PRE during run + HR during training

Started by Tracker09
Views: 884 Posts: 3

2013-04-17 2:32 PM Tracker09

Thoughts on "strength" training during HIM training

Started by mcfly6667
Views: 2198 Posts: 13

2013-04-27 11:09 PM bcagle25

summer photography project/portfolio, triathlon, thoughts/ideas?

Started by newbz
Views: 705 Posts: 1

2010-05-16 8:48 PM newbz

Riding inside during the summer

Started by iwantotri
Views: 1276 Posts: 13

2009-12-05 9:24 AM Experior

overcoming negative thoughts during a race

Started by arturcampos
Views: 1316 Posts: 15

2004-11-23 6:29 PM bootygirl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I strained by lower back last week. I know that I need to rest in order for it to heal fully, but I am concerned that I am going to lose needed fitness for the race. Will this affect my performance?

date : February 16, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 2
Some athletes call it runners' trots; others call it diarrhea. Whatever the name, few athletes openly discuss the topic yet many secretly suffer. Here’s some information about this stinky topic that m
date : June 29, 2010
author : mrakes1
Discussions on losing weight during half Ironman training, high sugar fruits to avoid, and the Paleo diet.

date : October 9, 2009
NSAIDs are now starting to be used as an ergogenic aid to enhance performance especially before and during long endurance races and longer training sessions. Is this safe?
date : July 6, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 9
I am training for my first sprint tri and I am having the hardest time with the run. I just get really winded between the 1-1/12 mile mark.

date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?
date : April 2, 2006
author : mikericci
This summer, I am planning on doing three triathlons. What should my strategy be for training, tapering and resting during, before and after each race?

date : May 16, 2005
Could these fevers be related to my training and increased fatigue? Is there anything I can do to help prevent future occurrences? Or could it just be allergies combined with increased fatigue?