Cutting Edge Triathlon
54F / 12C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 00m 43s
Overall Rank = 2/49
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/5
Pre-race routine:

Came into Effingham the night before and stayed at a local hotel. Slept ok I guess. Woke up and headed over to the lake where the race was being held at.
Event warmup:

Gave some advice to a couple of newer triathletes about the swim, and other things. I got in the chilly water and swam probably 150 yards or so. Water wasn't too bad. Still a bit chilly, but colder water is faster water :)
Swim
  • 06m 24s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 27s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim went well. I had a pretty substantial lead on everyone else out there and knew I needed to go somewhat hard to give myself as much cushion on the bike as possible. The cold water had me breathing a lot more, but it was also my first open water swim this season so far. Overall it went well I think.
What would you do differently?:

Get a practice or two in open water, but our temperature up north here is still in the upper 50's or so. I can deal with not doing it :P
Transition 1
  • 00m 35s
Comments:

Did better with this transition than the last race. I didn't try putting my helmet on while getting my suit off around my ankles. Need to practice that some more, but otherwise everything went well. I was able to get into my shoes better once I hopped on the bike as well.

Put my helmet on while using legs to get suit off. I was wobbly from the cold water though.
Bike
  • 33m 59s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 23.13 mile/hr
Comments:

Well I think that my training is starting to show a little bit. This was one of my fastest bike splits on a bike portion of a triathlon. I think the wind/rain slowed things down naturally for everyone out there, but it would have been nice if it would have held off until the run at least! I was way ahead of everyone coming out of the swim, so I really wanted to get going on the bike. At one point after making a 90 turn onto the road we do most of the biking on I looked back and didn't see anyone coming. That felt great. At around 3.5 miles into it I decided to look back, and damnit, there was a guy not far behind me. He was hauling ass, so I just stayed in my rhythm and he went on by eventually. He was cooking pretty good. I thought that maybe on the way back we would have a bit of a tail wind, but it never really helped much. Mainly crosswinds out of the north with rain in your face the majority of the time.

Not much. I shouldn't have taken the week off leading up to this for my knee, since it didn't get any better, but oh well. You can't fault a guy for resting an injury!
Transition 2
  • 00m 34s
Comments:

My feet, and especially my right foot felt numb. It wasn't overly cold out, but it was enough that it made it tougher to get my shoes on while standing. I took an extra second of two to make sure my bike tire was in the rack alright( I didn't want it falling over, since they have wooden pallets for the racks instead of the normal hanging bars). I really was surprised it was only 34 seconds in transition with my shoe issues, but otherwise I am happy with it.

Hope my feet aren't numb coming off the bike. I did a lot better with waiting to get my feet out of my bike shoes in relation to being closer to the dismount line. I think that with practice you can really save a lot of time by continuing to hammer coming into that area up until you are closer.
Run
  • 19m 9s
  • 5 kms
  • 03m 50s  min/km
Comments:

The run was the one thing I was worried about. I love to run and am usually pretty fast, but dealing with IT band issues the last 2 months I have barely been running. At about a mile into the run portion I could tell I wasn't going to catch the overall, so I just kept at it, but around 1.5 miles or so my IT knee area started to get stiff. By the end of the race I was glad to be done. It wasn't in any real hurtful pain, but I was glad to be done. The first place guy only ran a few seconds faster than me, so we were pretty even in that regards. I could have pushed the run a little harder though, but overall I was happy with placing 2nd.

Not be injured. :P
Post race
Warm down:

Did some stretching. Brought my stick roller and rolled my it and legs a decent amount at my car as I was putting all my stuff away. Drank/ate some water/food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My IT band obviously was the culprit. It has really dampened down my run training, which is somewhat of a blessing in disguise for my cycling training though.

Event comments:

Overall, Cutting Edge does a good job with their triathlons. This was the third one I have done that they direct, and overall they do a great job. They have a somewhat laid back approach, but usually draw in plenty of great triathlete minded people, who are good natured among other things. This is a nice course for beginners, or seasons triathletes looking to get their season kicked off. Would have been nice to see more people there participating, but I think triathlon in general is starting to drop around this area as far as participation goes it seems.

Last updated: 2016-05-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:24 | 440 yards | 01m 27s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 1/49
Performance: Good
Suit: Wet-Suit Vortex
Course: Long triangle shaped course/diamond shape sorta.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:35
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:33:59 | 13.1 miles | 23.13 mile/hr
Overall: 2/49
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back. 6.5 miles. It started to rain just as the bike portion started.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 93
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:34
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:19:09 | 05 kms | 03m 50s  min/km
Overall: 3/49
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back, along part of the bike portion.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2016-05-27 2:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
Subject: May Madness Sprint Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » May Madness Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

May Madness Sprint Triathlon

Started by ransick
Views: 2006 Posts: 5

2012-05-17 4:22 AM leftrunner

Started by kevmk81
Views: 987 Posts: 1

2011-05-16 7:18 AM kevmk81

Started by ransick
Views: 1993 Posts: 6

2010-05-19 9:27 AM codyack

Started by 4mebobpandtay
Views: 1042 Posts: 1

2010-05-16 6:09 PM 4mebobpandtay

Started by codyack
Views: 1385 Posts: 2

2010-05-17 11:01 PM ransick
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 9, 2010
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Most people believe that running barefoot is dangerous. Certainly, depending upon the surface, they would be correct. However, there is some suggestion that running barefoot may reduce injuries.

date : June 3, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
Are these races too close together to give me any sort of recovery? Will I be spent and unhappy racing back to back weekends and then again two weeks after that?
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
Couch-to-sprint triathlon training programs to get you over the finish-line of your first triathlon.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.