CORE Foundation
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 18m 54s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Male 40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5am, showered and then made a bagel and coffee to go. Drove to the race site with Adam.
Event warmup:

Swam 100 meter warm up after borrowing goggles from the pool lost and found since I forgot to bring mine. The water temp was 85, so my wet suit was not allowed.
Swim
  • 08m 13s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 03s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was passed 25 meters in which was fine by me and allowed me draft off the passer the rest of the swim. It was crowed like always with my 105 second seed time netting me racer #296. The drafting allowed me to pass without much thinking. Our convoy probably went by 15 or more swimmers

I'm very happy with my swim time, a little under what I did in training after accounting for getting out of the pool. Slower than years past but those times I wore the wet suit. By far the faster non wet suit swim for me..
What would you do differently?:

Seed myself a bit faster to avoid all the passing and back ups. With a wet suit and without my convoy things could have been worse with #296.
Transition 1
  • 02m 11s
Comments:

One of my fastest T1s and my bike rack, thanks to #296 was pretty far from the mount line. However, it's clear to me the wet suit doesn't slow me down much in T1 as my time really wasn't any better.

Seed myself lower, getting a closer bike rack and easier swim. Socks do seem to slow me a bit.
Bike
  • 36m 34s
  • 11.4 miles
  • 18.71 mile/hr
Comments:

I was surprised my time was so good as I wasn't sure I had put enough into the bike training (2 days a week, one at the gym). I was just 7 seconds off my bike time three years ago.

Practice on the bike course. My third lap felt the best and I felt like I "figured it out" by then. I went pretty hard given my training leading up and perhaps that cost me on the run (?).

Also, I'm really BAD going up that steep hill 3 times. I often was passed by others and then quickly passed them back after the hill. Hill training or general leg strength improvement would be a big help for this bike course.

Last thing, I had a gel tapped to my bike but I never found the time to take it with all the hill changes. I'm wondering if the gel would have helped my run?
Transition 2
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

My time was on par with past years. The biggest issue I had was the feeling in my legs as I started to run up the hill in T2 to my bike rack. It was clear to me the run was going to be a challenge as my legs felt like bowling balls.

I did some bricks before the race but my legs still were in bad shape coming off the bike. Maybe I went out to hard on the bike or maybe I needed to gear down a bit towards the end.

I thought about grabbing my gel and taking it at the beginning of the run but for some reason I didn't. Probably a mistake.
Run
  • 30m 17s
  • 3.18 miles
  • 09m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

OK, my run was a disaster. The second slowest run time for me at this race, only the first year coming off my mountain bike was worse. It's shocking to me that 5 years ago I went 4 minutes faster. I can't say I died on the run as I really never got going. The first step off the bike was sluggish and it never got any better. Even running downhill for the first mile I was at 9m30s pace. It just went downhill from there.

I did walk briefly in several spots but mostly just to drink water. The issue was general pace and my legs not feeling like them wanted to go.

My plan is to try to ramp up my running from 10MPW to 40MPW for the rest of 2016. Let's see if that's helps.
Post race
Warm down:

I was hurting at the finish line but quickly recovered and walked around until I found Amy and the kids. We all then cheered on Adam as he came up that last big hill. I stretched a little but certainly not enough.

I then grabbed some pizza and Sprite and shared them with Brayden.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Run training, lack of gel during the race, maybe went out a little to hard on the bike. No wet suit probably ended up stealing some energy for the run.

Event comments:

Can't say enough good things about the organizers of this race, they really put on a great rac. This having been my 6 time doing the race it was nice to see old friends.

Last updated: 2016-06-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:13 | 400 meters | 02m 03s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Not allowed with the 85 degree temp.
Course: Pool
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:11
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:36:34 | 11.4 miles | 18.71 mile/hr
Wind: None
Course: 3 loops, one big hill 3 times.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:40
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:30:17 | 03.18 miles | 09m 31s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: Hilly!!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2016-06-05 1:43 PM

User image

Ashburn, VA
Subject: Reston Sprint Triathlon

2016-06-05 3:17 PM
in reply to: #5185398

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Subject: RE: Reston Sprint Triathlon
Hey, great race! I didn't know there would be another BT'er there, sorry we didn't get to say hi.
I had a pretty rough run, too. I'm choosing to blame either going out to hard on the bike or the humidity.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Reston Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Reston Sprint Triathlon

Started by bfritton
Views: 1430 Posts: 1

2007-05-21 8:26 AM bfritton

Reston Sprint Triathlon

Started by docswim24
Views: 1888 Posts: 4

2007-05-21 11:07 AM newLeaf

Reston Sprint Triathlon

Started by TahoeSteve
Views: 2119 Posts: 7

2007-05-25 8:58 AM zschaller

Reston Sprint Triathlon

Started by Kristin
Views: 1883 Posts: 15

2007-05-22 8:13 AM Atlantia

Reston Sprint Triathlon

Started by thursdaytrio
Views: 1397 Posts: 1

2007-05-20 1:10 PM thursdaytrio
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 9, 2009
author : TexasHeatRunner
comments : 5
At mile ten I heard a noise like I had gotten paper in my spokes or something. I looked but saw nothing but a few seconds later my rear tire blows out.

date : June 3, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
Are these races too close together to give me any sort of recovery? Will I be spent and unhappy racing back to back weekends and then again two weeks after that?
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
Couch-to-sprint triathlon training programs to get you over the finish-line of your first triathlon.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.