United States
89F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 47m 16s
Overall Rank = 572/835
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 52/96
Pre-race routine:

Saturday morning I woke with a subluxed rib on the right and total spasm in my rhomboid muscle. Hurt to move and even breathe. David called his buddy who got me in with Dr Alex at All About Chiropractic and got adjusted at 8:15am. Still sore throughout the day but could at least breathe better.
Saturday night David and I went to Kailey Gering's graduation party. They had a taco/nacho bar and cake. Ate lots of chips, beef, and refried beans with cheese. Just drank water. Got to bed around 9:45 after getting everything organized and loaded into the van.
Sunday morn alarm went off at 4:45. My back and right shoulder felt amazing. Slight stiffness but no pain. David made french toast--I had 1 piece of that with a little PB and Grandma jam, a Kashi almond flax granola bar w PB, half a banana, and a yoplait red top berry yogurt. Also had half a Gu at 6:30 when transition closed. Wore my blue try top, Zoot try shorts, and white arm coolers. No bathroom stop this race--first time ever 8\
Event warmup:

We parked at the Alliant center and took the shuttle bus--they had them moving well and we were the last to get on so very little wait. Got to transition around 6. Would like to arrive earlier next time--felt very rushed. My front tire was completely flat--only 20 PSI which made me really nervous. We borrowed Tom our rack neighbor's pump, he also offered my his flat fixer spray. The tire seemed to be holding air 20min later so not sure what that was about. 892 moved his bike down the rack so that opened up some space to place our gear. I had forgotten to rinse my goggles the night before and they were caked with who knows what. Tom gave us a defogger pad and that actually ended up working out great! After transition closed we got into the water--it was much warmer than I had expected--they said it was 74 degrees. Peed in my wetsuit. We watched the Elites start then found Larry. David was wave 6 w Craig and Larry so he planned to swim right behind them. I was wave 7. Water was glass at Olin Park Beach
Swim
  • 45m 4s
  • 2200 yards
  • 02m 03s / 100 yards
Comments:

Felt pretty good. Tried to stay inside but kept drifting out to the right. Really not much traffic until the younger age groups (chartreuse men) caught up--got shoved down a couple of times but otherwise I wasn't really near anyone
What would you do differently?:

Once again, I don't do any swim training. I did swim a mile in the pool last Monday but that was it since was swam Devils Lake last summer. I just can't justify spending time in the pool to improve my time by 10mins
Transition 1
  • 05m 19s
Comments:

When I got out of the water I couldn't find my strap at my neck. I found it hanging and got it open, but the neck velcro had me confused so I couldn't even get the suit down to my waist. It was so great they had wetsuit strippers! Found 2 open guys who got my arms/shoulders out, pulled down to the waist, then onto the ground and they got my legs out and helped me back up. They were awesome! Jogged slowly to T1. Sprayed on sunscreen right away. A volunteer came over and offered to spray my back--I had just done it but because I always miss that center opening I had him do it--he did a great job as I ended up with zero sunburn despite not reapplying in T2. I sat down and washed/dried my feet, got my socks and bikes shoes on, helmet on, glasses, check the front tire (still firm), so jogged to bike out/mount.

I probably didn't' need to wash my feet--just drying them probably would have gotten the grass off. I spent double time putting on the sunscreen too since I had the guy do it as well, but then that saved me time in T2. I just always slow here.
Bike
  • 3h 34m 44s
  • 56 miles
  • 15.65 mile/hr
Comments:

Started w nice easy pace, felt strong and didn't really push too much. I took tiny sips of water and maybe a couple little sips of Gatorade until mile 15 then had a Triberry Gu. Also ate half a packet of salt. Took one of their Hammer gels at mile 30 (peanut butter--not so good). Just kept sipping on water and Gatorade and took water at the handoffs to refill my chamber (only had half as there is a crack in it) and to dump some over my head. Mile 40 was the last aid station--just took water but didn't do my Lime Gu until mile 45. Listened to David and didn't brake on any of the downhills. Did brake on the 90-degree turns tho. They had taken the road sweeper out but I still worry about gravel. Pushed a little harder over the last 15 miles and actually passed some people! Legs felt really good--not sore at all, but crotch was pretty ready to get off the bike!

More hill training and long rides. I truly could push harder, but it was so great to get off the bike and have my legs feel normal. After my training rides I had figured I'd be around 4 hrs so I was very happy w 3:34
Transition 2
  • 03m 10s
Comments:

An average T2 just switching out shoes and helmet/visor. Did not reapply sunscreen which ended up fine. Had to remember to put on race belt since we didn't need them on the bike

Not much. Could run faster w the bike and out but not a big deal
Run
  • 2h 19m 1s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my chance to catch all those bikers who had passed me. I passed 40 people from my age division alone--I think only 2 or 3 people passed me the entire run. My legs felt really fresh at the start, but it was really hot--the heat was just oppressive. When I got to aid stations I would dump a cup of water over my head and on my arm coolers, try to drink a cup of water, dump ice down the front of my top and put some into my tri top back pockets, and grab a cup of coke and drink that. I only used coke for fuel--no Gu on the run.

Mile 1 9:46.59 (4:38.01)
Mile 2 10:18.79 (4:48.20)-water stop
Mile 3 10:46.94 (4:59.07)-water stop w Coke
Mile 4 10:14.36 (5:09.21)
Mile 5 11:17.66 (5:20.39)-water stop
Mile 6 10:35.13 (5:31.14)-water stop
Mile 7 10:21.92 (5:41.36)
Mile 8 9:44.73 (5:51.21)
Mile 9 11:45.82) (6:01.07)-water stop w Coke, then walked up hill
Mile 10 10:56.77 (6:14.03)
Mile 11 10:48.51 (6:24.52)-water stop w Coke
Mile 12 10:32.52 (6:35.24)--brief water stop before finish to dump water on head
Mile 13.1 11:52.06 (6:47.16)--my watch timed it to the exact 100th second

Nothing, I felt sluggish at first but then after getting Coke at mile3 really perked up and felt strong. Just kept running to the next aid station--couldn't bear to think beyond that is was so hot. Ran through any sprinkler I could find--there were a fair number of those from kind neighbors. Big stretch with no aid station from mile 6-8, little shade too, which was tough, but just kept running. Passed so many people--most everyone was walking. Felt good even though I was overall slow, but happy w my time in this heat!

Post race
Warm down:

David was at the finish line cheering me on and giving me a high 5. He had done great--finished in 5:57. Walked around a bit then found the food tent. Felt really good so drank the chocolate milk and the Panera box lunch sandwich and cookie right away. Had part of a beer. Went to the awards ceremony--Craig of course won his AG. Stayed for the raffle--awesome prizes but didn't win. Had to load up our stuff on our bikes and ride back to Alliant. Stopped at the 8-unit then home to get the boys and right to church. Did a little stretching here and there.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

That I just don't train much. My workouts have to fit into my life--I won't run my life around my workouts. I'm happy to just improve against myself each time. Although I do enjoy running past all the bikers during the run!

Event comments:

They did a really great job organizing this--from sweeping the roads and labeling all the pot holes, to having ice at every aid station (and Coke at most of them), to the great raffle prizes, they didn't miss a beat. It was hard to believe this was an inaugural race it was run so well--it will definitely become the go-to for Milwaukee and Madison folks (sorry tough man--I did high cliff for many years and love it, but with this amazing race in my back yard I'm gonna stay here)

Last updated: 2016-06-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:04 | 2200 yards | 02m 03s / 100yards
Age Group: 72/96
Overall: 0/835
Performance: Average
Suit: Full Vortex
Course: Out, left, back triangle. Out was right into the sun--so hard to sight, couldn't see the buoys until you were right on them. I did a lot of side to side swimming--would end up way to the right then somehow actually was inside the buoys. Water was really calm and swim felt really easy and efficient. Peed 3 more times while swimming to be sure bladder was empty. Turns out I didn't pee again until after we got home at 5.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:19
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:34:44 | 56 miles | 15.65 mile/hr
Age Group: 72/96
Wind: Little
Course: Southbound stick to Oregon, West to Paoli and Observatory Hill making a loop, then rejoining Eastbound back to Oregon and north up the stick. Roads quite rough in places from asphalt cracks, few potholes but they had them really well marked. Mostly flat but some rollers, few big hills where I had to stand up. Tried to sit as much as possible tho to save my running legs
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:10
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:19:01 | 13.1 miles | 10m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 32/96
Performance: Good
Course: Loop around Lake Monona. Several gradual inclines and 3 larger hills that were best walked in this heat. Good amount of shade tho, and some breezes off the lake. Last few miles were flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2016-06-20 10:06 AM

User image

New user

Waunakee, Wisconsin
Subject: Wisconsin Milkman Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wisconsin Milkman Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Milkman Triathlon

Started by edholt
Views: 1272 Posts: 1

2006-07-27 10:21 AM edholt

Milkman Triathlon

Started by amybunny
Views: 1248 Posts: 1

2006-06-29 4:50 PM amybunny

Milkman Triathlon

Started by ABQkid
Views: 1686 Posts: 4

2006-06-06 2:11 PM lobo

Milkman Triathlon

Started by lobo
Views: 1473 Posts: 3

2006-06-05 11:55 PM desertsix

Milkman Triathlon

Started by zia_cyclist
Views: 1137 Posts: 4

2005-06-06 10:22 AM Flyboy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 2, 2014
author : mikericci
comments : 0
I'm a fairly good climber but don't want to blow up on the run. I'm 60 and have a FTP of 230 watts. Any suggestions?

date : March 30, 2011
author : mikeinlaguna
comments : 6
I was in the moment, living a dream and on top of the whole world! Honestly, I wish everyone could experience that feeling because it truly cannot be described.
date : January 28, 2010
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on doing Ironman Wisconsin on a road bike and a training plan for back-to-back centuries.

date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?
date : July 14, 2008
author : Birkierunner
comments : 2
Watch the highlights and tips of this years IMWI BT mini-camp put on by Birkierunner.

date : June 11, 2007
author : TriDDS
If you would have told me that I would want to train over ten hours a week for a race that can last up to 17 hours, I would have laughed. But somehow, my ACL injury has refocused my outlook on life.
date : July 5, 2005
author : dara
It makes no sense to train hard for a year to hone that aerobic system only to have all that training undermined by a few anaerobic bursts on race day. So, how do you go about it?

date : December 13, 2004
author : trilover
comments : 1
TriLover recently had the opportunity to interview Tim and Nicole. Read what the DeBooms had to say about triathlon, their support for each other and life.