United States
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 06m 57s
Overall Rank = 46/114
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 9/13
Pre-race routine:

woke up at 5:30. had breakfast of bagel and peanut butter. got an iced coffee from mary lou's and headed to the race. got there later than i wanted. 6:45. Got my bib, and body marking and went and picked out my spot.

Debated on trying the HotShot before the race, but didn't. I should have. this was a test race, didn't matter to me how i finished. the plan was to push and see how fast i could go.
Event warmup:

Did a quick jog with some pick ups.

I got back to transition and had a Picky Bars smooth Cafenator and decided I could get a quick bike warm up in.

Went out about half mile and came back, pushed a big gear and tried to figure out where to take my feet out of my shoes. Very Rocky transition area so i was debating the whole race if i should take my shoes off or not.

Got back to transition, and reset my equipment, heard that transition was closing in five minutes, put my wetsuit on and was able to get a swim warm up in too.

Focused on looking down and my pull phase.
Swim
  • 06m 1s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

All of the men went off together, so it was a fairly big wave for the tight area of the swim. I was focusing on looking down instead of forward.

I started out only breathing to the left which feels very natural to me. I wanted to try and get out ahead of everyone else, unfortunately, i think everyone else had the same idea. I took some breaths on the right side, and for some reason felt very fast. I rounded the first buoy and did the same thing. I looked down the whole swim and only breathed to my right occasionally.

Not sure exactly what happened, My watch had me at a 300 yard swim and when i looked at it after, there was a big gap in the middle where it didn't pick up any movement. maybe i didn't pick my left arm out of the water?
What would you do differently?:

Not much. Very fast swim for me, but i felt i could have gone faster. one issue i have is when i do get out of the water, i have a hard time running fast, i see others going by me and I think i can run faster.
Transition 1
  • 01m 35s
Comments:

In hindsight, I should not have worn the wetsuit. I think my swim would have suffered a bit, but my transition time would have been faster.

I had some issues taking it off, but not as bad as Whaling City. No place to sit down, so i held on to the fencing in transition and stomped on the suit to get it off.

rocky transition area so it was tough to run into it with barefeet, and out of it with a bike and bike shoes.

had an issue getting onto bike. i timed it pretty good, and picked out a good line between others who stopped to get on their bikes. I didn't see a guy stopped way ahead. when i jumped on my bike, i wasn't even in my shoes and had to stop. he was stopped dead in front of me and i couldn't go around him. Very tight mount area.

Tough to pick out a spot to get on your bike as your running up to it. Maybe be more aware next time, but it's tough to pick out a sea of people in a sea of people.
Bike
  • 32m 3s
  • 10 miles
  • 18.72 mile/hr
Comments:

My plan was to push as hard as I could and see what happens. I got into aero bars after the first little uphill out of transition and felt good. No cramps in my neck. i was able to pass a couple of people right away. I got passed by the first female about mile 2 and a half and was able to keep her in my sights for the next half mile.

Felt OK on hills, I was able to push up them without feeling to bad. But i got passed a bit, more than i wanted to.

I had some issues drinking. I sipped more than I did at Whaling City, but each time it was only about a half ounce. I need to start practicing more with the speedfill and measuring out how much i take with me and how much i drink.

I was going at a good pace, but I felt it was too hard. So the last mile and a bit before the turn around i slowed my pace down. On the way back I eased up the hill and then tried pushing. i didn't have much speed on the bike. My neck started to get tired at this point due to the effort and lack of riding in aero on the roads.

All in all, I felt like I could have gone faster, whether it psychological or lack of training, only changing up my training will tell.

I think it is down to my training at this point. My average was better today than it was at Whaling City a week ago. So i will take that.
Transition 2
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

Long run around transition again on rocks and then into transition.

Bike racked helmet off. glasses off. Sneakers on. grabbed run belt w/ hat. and i was gone.

Not much. Rocks hurt way too much to run faster.
Run
  • 25m 54s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out at about a 9:30 pace out of transition. there was a hill about 200 yards out. I kept a steady pace up, and then once i crested it, took off and was able to really push down the hill.

My plan was again to push until I blew up.

I averaged a 8:30 min/mile for the first two miles.

I got passed after the first aid station at mile one. by a guy I later found out was on a relay team. he came past me and i tried keeping up with him but couldn't. he was accelerating up a hill and i could not keep that pace. I slowed down to go up the next two hills. which were pretty long. the first down hill was a bit deceiving as it wasn't that long and there was a sharp right turn and then the second up hill. I passed the guy who walked up the first hill only to walk up this second one.

I had a good pace up the second hill and got passed by the second relay runner, and in total i probably only got passed by less than a dozen runners.

The last mile I was able to really push the pace and i averaged a 7:55 for that last mile. Thankfully it was all downhill!

I came to the finish line and saw i was under 1:07. I kicked and finished strong through the finish chute.

Only thing I would do differently is try and run harder up that hill. to see what would happen. I felt a side stitch coming on so that maybe was a good decision.
Post race
Warm down:

walked around for a bit, and grabbed my goggles and went for a swim.

had an orange, and some water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

training. swim training has been good. I need to work on getting faster before Cranberry. Bike same thing. need to revamp and change up my training.

Run, was good. Will need to get some longer runs in.

Event comments:

Good Local race. Newly USAT sanctioned. Lots of volunteers. Race started late due to one guy forgetting his timing chip. One nice thing about a race this small! i was a tad annoyed but not a big deal.

one aid station on the run. not very hot today and that is typical of an event this small and of this distance.

would definitely recommend to anyone who wants to do a triathlon but is afraid of bigger races.

Last updated: 2016-07-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:01 | 440 yards | 01m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/13
Overall: 0/114
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vortex
Course: a clockwise course, off of Mattapoisett Town beach.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:35
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:32:03 | 10 miles | 18.72 mile/hr
Wind:
Course: an out and back through Mattapoisett
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:25
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:54 | 03.1 miles | 08m 21s  min/mile
Course: an out and back loop through Mattapoisett
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2016-07-10 5:01 PM

New user

Subject: Mattapoisett Lions Club Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mattapoisett Lions Club Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lion's Club Dualthlon

Started by gshyne
Views: 793 Posts: 2

2010-06-01 9:11 AM gshyne

Course Club Lions de Ste-Therese

Started by caro11
Views: 952 Posts: 2

2010-05-03 10:27 AM etccallhome82

Birmingham Lions Club 5k

Started by mollyo
Views: 746 Posts: 1

2007-09-23 9:34 AM mollyo

Wrenthan Lions Club Duathlon

Started by Big Dan
Views: 751 Posts: 1

2006-02-27 5:01 PM Big Dan

Lions Club Heritage Festival 5 Mile

Started by peskygnat
Views: 859 Posts: 1

2005-08-03 12:29 PM peskygnat
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2012
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
A panel of four triathlon coaches answers questions from the beginner to the Iron distance triathlete.

date : September 6, 2011
author : alicefoeller
The pros and cons of training with a group or training partner
date : August 14, 2009
author : Oakley
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about the importance of triathlon clubs for your training.

date : December 17, 2007
author : Diane1961
comments : 2
The Monday after the race, I go to my health club for my first Pilates class in six years. I look like the fittest person here. Fortunately, I don’t mention to anyone that I’m a triathlete.
date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.

date : January 1, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
Inclusion is the key, with elements of the ride fulfilling the training and social needs of 95% of the membership. We have found that course selection, leadership have been the keys.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : January 10, 2005
author : trithis
Club or group workouts are very motivating and soon you’ll start feeling like a triathlete, making you less likely to flake out.