General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pedals and cleats and floats, oh my! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-07-14 6:24 PM

Subject: Pedals and cleats and floats, oh my!
If someone ever wants to be a hero to newbly cyclists, they could put together a website with pictures, names, and brands (along with compatability between them) of pedal/cleat systems.

Oh, and what kind of shoe you need.

2 hole, 3 hole, clipless, MTB, SPD (not to be confused with SBD...that's a whole 'nother issue), Look, those little roundy ones.

If I had to tell you what kind of pedals I've have, or if I had to ask for cleats at the store...you'd get "The triangle-y ones with 3 holes and little yellow pads, and they kinda just hook a tab into a rectangular "loopish" kind if thing in the front and press fit in the back."

It's kind of embarassing, if I'm honest.

2016-07-15 10:56 PM
in reply to: jhaack39

Subject: RE: Pedals and cleats and floats, oh my!
Shrug, that's what your bike shop is for. . . they figure it out for you
2016-07-17 9:10 PM
in reply to: #5190937

True but they all seem to carry different flavors. Nobody seems to carry "all" of them.
2016-07-18 7:08 AM

User image

Exton, PA
There are basically three types (yes there are variations):

1 Look style- which is a road bike 1 sided pedal, many or most roadies use this style pedal
2 Speedplay- developed for road bike- advantages; more float, 2 sided, claim lower profile(not as thick), claim more surface area
3 SPD - mountain bike pedals- 2 sided, walkable shoes

Many different makers of number 1 and 3.
Some mountain bikers also use eggbeaters don't know if they are classified as SDP pedal or not.

Any of them can actually work, but 1 and 2 are more efficient for road/tri bikes. SPD's are easy to walk/run in.

Talk to your LBS about which is best for you.
2016-07-18 1:15 PM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by mike761

There are basically three types (yes there are variations):

1 Look style- which is a road bike 1 sided pedal, many or most roadies use this style pedal
2 Speedplay- developed for road bike- advantages; more float, 2 sided, claim lower profile(not as thick), claim more surface area
3 SPD - mountain bike pedals- 2 sided, walkable shoes

Many different makers of number 1 and 3.
Some mountain bikers also use eggbeaters don't know if they are classified as SDP pedal or not.

Any of them can actually work, but 1 and 2 are more efficient for road/tri bikes. SPD's are easy to walk/run in.

Talk to your LBS about which is best for you.

I'm fast becoming a pedal buying expert....at least for my purposes...
I'm posting what I've learned because....I've heard from more than "a couple" others in PM that they're in the same boat.

I think it's the variations that get me.....
Shimano needs to rebrand SPD-SL. You'd think it's a variation of SPD, but it's really more a variation of Look (which has it's own variations, in terms of vintages).
I would amend your excellent list thusly....

1. Look style
Be careful. Older "Look" proper pedals will require the Look Delta cleat. It looks very similar to their newer line of cleats/pedals with the "Keo" branding. Look Delta and Look Keo are NOT compatible. They have two styles of Keo cleats. One is called "Keo Grip" and the other is called "Keo Cleat". They ARE compatible. Difference is in "memory positioning" and maybe the support/contact with pedal. Didn't get that far.
Both come in 3 flavors of "angular float" which is the radial movement the cleat is allowed before it breaks free of the cleat.
-black: 0 degrees
-gray: 4.5 degrees
-red: 9 degrees
I believe there's also some adjustment to that within the pedal/clip itself. Haven't gotten that far.
It sounds like SOME 'spin bikes' (you know, at the gym), an old Look Delta cleat that are still made, but NOT the Keo variety.
3 hole mounting which is the standard hole pattern on any 3 hole shoe. I'd be shocked if a brand name shoe with the 3 holes didn't fit this.
1. (A.) SPD-SL
While these LOOK like "Look style", they are NOT compatible. The pedals and cleats look very similar. You can spot the SPD-SL a mile off if they have the little yellow tabs. They use the same 3 hole pattern you find in a lot of shoes. I've never seen a spin bike with clips that work for them.

2. Speedplay: Don't know nothing. I think they take 4 screws? Not sure of the hole pattern or compatibility within shoes. These look intimidating to me, so I've not looked into them at all. These are the round ones that look like little flowers.

3. SPD
These are 2 hole mounted. The cleats look like little "clubs" on playing cards. Common on mountain bike pedals, but a lot of road bike shoes have both the 3-hole and 2-hole mounting hole patterns. These are the most common (almost every one I've seen, now that I know what I'm looking at) cleat used on spin bikes.

I think some of my confusion is the fact that there's two "SPDxxx" flavors. And they aren't compatible. And people leading spin classes or hanging at the gym aren't always outdoor bike people with in-depth knowledge of pedals. And that often "SPD-SL, which is by far the most common entry level road bike setup at shops around here (Speedplay seems a little more 'serious')....if that gets lumped in with "Look style"....they look so similar...it can be confusing.

Edited by jhaack39 2016-07-18 1:18 PM
2016-07-19 7:57 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
3. SPD
These are 2 hole mounted. The cleats look like little "clubs" on playing cards. Common on mountain bike pedals, but a lot of road bike shoes have both the 3-hole and 2-hole mounting hole patterns. These are the most common (almost every one I've seen, now that I know what I'm looking at) cleat used on spin bikes.

Actually, SPD pedals, and the "club" shaped cleat are largely manufactured by Shimano, although a few other manufacturers make MTB pedals that use SPD cleats (Ritchey come to mind). There are other MTB pedal manufacturers that use 2 bolt cleats at are not SPD cleats, Time ATAC pedals and Crank Bros egg beaters are the more popular pedals that fit this definition.

I have used both Look and Time road pedals, and SPD pedals on my road bike. At present I am using an older set of Look pedals that use a delta cleat. I really like there, they have a huge engagement surface and I get zero hot spots. But walking in them ... fuggidaboutit. I like the SPD pedals (I have a set of Shimano XTs) and they are soooo easy to get in and out of, but the tiny cleat will give me a hot spot on longer rides.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pedals and cleats and floats, oh my! Rss Feed