Cooper Fitness Center
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 43m 1s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up earlier than necessary but expected that, never trust my alarm to go off when I need to get up early.
Event warmup:

A little jog and active stretching. Being in the mini tri group we got to wait until all other swimmer were out of the water to start. Event was late getting going due to some issue with the city, then once the other 360 participants finished their swim, we got to go.Spending over 2 hours waiting to get started was a little frustrating.
Swim
  • 03m 59s
  • 150 meters
  • 02m 40s / 100 meters
Comments:

Struggled on the swim as I figured I would. Haven't yet fully prepared for anything but figured I would give it a shot because the distances aren't long enough to really be a problem. Bad swim kind of ruined the rest of my race. That said I got our of the pool with the time I expected, probably should have eased through it a bit.
What would you do differently?:

I know I need to spend more time in the pool. This should give me the motivation to get in regularly.
Transition 1
  • 01m 47s
Comments:

Slow. No real problems, just slow. I was definitely in just finish mode, especially after coming out of the pool at a high HR and winded.My cycling shoes aren't the best for quick changes - tri shoes are on the list but don't want to commit the funds until I'm more certain I will stick with it.

Train more for the swim.
Bike
  • 21m 20s
  • 6 miles
  • 16.88 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike was a about the speed I expected. Had trouble with people passing me then slowing. Getting passed wasn't the problem but there were at least 4 people that passed me only to slow down and make me go around again. There was a long downhill stretch heading into transition and I was able to comfortably accelerate and pick off a few more people, unfortunately there is a sharp right about 200M before the dismount line and a slower rider in front of me swing left forcing me to slam on the brakes or takes us both out. Got my adrenaline going, my heartrate up and put me in a bad mood.

Train more for the swim so the start on the bike doesn't seem so hard.
Transition 2
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

Being in a bit of a negative mood I took my time getting out of the cycling shoes and into my running shoes.

Not much. I know I can be faster but need to get my training in order before I worry too much about transitions.
Run
  • 14m 27s
  • 1.5 miles
  • 09m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

OK on the run, focused on controlling my pace and trying to bring the HR into a manageable range.Walked through a water station and took another short walk break to crest the "hill" Pace was about a minute off what I hoped for, but probably right on for my training.

Train more swim to setup for a better race and structure my running training better.
Post race
Warm down:

Grab a gatorade and walk a little with the family before heading to transition to clear out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My swim training, or lack thereof was really the problem. My swim is definitely my weakest element so I need to commit some time to get my form in shape so I can get out of the water more comfortably.

Event comments:

This race is pretty well organized. Delays at the start were due to the city, not the race organizers. My daughter completed her first kids triathlon here and it was extremely well run as well. I highly recommend this location to anyone looking for a nice tri in North Texas

Last updated: 2016-07-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:03:59 | 150 meters | 02m 40s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Great Pool,
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:47
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:21:20 | 06 miles | 16.88 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Nice course. Relatively easy, Well marked and a lot of volunteers. This course is a loop around a neighborhood so there were volunteers at every intersection ensuring that cyclists had a clear road.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:29
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:14:27 | 01.5 miles | 09m 38s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Course was truly pretty flat with a slight incline. More of an incline than I expected which made it tough.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2016-07-16 11:54 AM

User image

Subject: My First Tri (Cooper)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » My First Tri (Cooper) Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Cooper Summer Sprint Tri at Craig Ranch - Relay

Started by rzzqb8
Views: 1181 Posts: 1

2008-07-27 10:12 PM rzzqb8

Play Tri My First Tri

Started by ashort33
Views: 1071 Posts: 7

2007-04-23 6:10 PM drdi

Cooper River Bridge 10K Run

Started by vapor5372
Views: 2756 Posts: 2

2006-04-02 8:12 AM huengsolo

Cooper River Bridge Run

Started by dcwade
Views: 966 Posts: 1

2005-04-03 5:35 PM dcwade

Cooper Smith's Half Marathon

Started by Lee
Views: 1110 Posts: 1

2004-02-08 12:00 AM Lee
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 18, 2012
author : Khorwohock
comments : 14
I have always wanted to do a triathlon to keep myself fit, and now I had my chance.

date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?
date : October 9, 2007
author : She-Ra
comments : 12
I never imagined that 350 yards broken down into 7 REALLY long lanes would be so big! I gasped out loud and told Grady that maybe I had underestimated the swim.

date : February 7, 2007
author : Angie M
comments : 4
In the past 18 months, I have delivered two babies, had meningitis, broken my pelvis, had two surgeries, worked full time, AND completed my first triathlon!
date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
comments : 0
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.