General Discussion Race Reports! » Coeur d'Alene Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Coeur d'Alene Triathlon - Olympic Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
United States
Coeur d'Alene Chamber of Commerce
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 55m 49s
Overall Rank = 187/197
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 11/11
Pre-race routine:

greek yogurt and granola plus green tea

got up at 5:10 left at 5:35am. arrived at parking spot at 5:57
Event warmup:

light jog while checking out transition area, bike in bike out run out etc. then swam about 5 mins in my wetsuit and clear goggles and realized the sun was right in my eyes and needed my tinted goggles. had barely enough time to jog back to transition and change goggles and jog back when they were starting the wave right before mine.

tinted goggles were WAAAAY worth it.
Swim
  • 47m 1s
  • 1500 meters
  • 03m 08s / 100 meters
Comments:

this swim felt pretty good to me, although I had the same sighting issues I always do in open water. I settled into a pattern of 10 strokes/5 breaths and then 1-2 breaststrokes to sight but I still ended up zig zagged.

There was a gal in my same wave (red cap) who was just barely ahead of me the whole time. she was swimming with her head above the water and her goggles on top of her head. I decided I HAD to pass her and started swimming faster to catch her the final 500 but she also started swimming faster. I caught up to her at the very end and we put our feet on the sand at the same time, but I technically beat her according to the chip timer because I ran out of the water to the timing mat (about 100 yards) and she walked so I ended up beating her by about 15 seconds.

At about 30 mins I started to feel that familiar mild headache most likely from my goggles. It was less intense this time and I think that's cuz I loosened my strap a touch before the start. I could probably loosen it even more next ime. I washed my face with soap in the morning and did not experience the same sunblock eye sting problem....though I did have a bit of an eye sting problem at about 1200m which I think was actually just a little bit of sweat getting into my eyes. I blinked a lot and swam through it and problem was pretty much gone within about 3 minutes. I was close enough to the end that I thought I could just swim the remainder with 1 eye closed if needed.

Attempted to draft a couple of times, but those swimmers were quickly gone. it is nice to be able to see swimmers around me so I don't have to sight as much. I think if I could somehow manage to stay with the group I'd swim A LOT faster because of easier sighting. I swam this whole damned thing in a zig zag!

According to my watch I swam this leg in 46:21 tilll I was all the way out of the water. but they placed the timing mat at the beginning of the transition area which was about 100 yards away and it added 40 seconds to my time. if we go by swim time only, my actual pace would be 3:09 per 100m
What would you do differently?:

nothing really. just train harder and be faster.
Transition 1
  • 03m 39s
Comments:

took a little extra time to put on more sunblock
Bike
  • 1h 57m 58s
  • 24.88 miles
  • 12.65 mile/hr
Comments:

passed 2 people, both females on mountain bikes. 1st pass was just after the turnaround in the cul de sac on Mullan Trail Rd. 2nd pass was near end on Mullan street.

drank 1 water bottle full of Nuun. ate half package of powerbar energy chews. probably should have drank more, but I didn't have a lot of breaks where I was just peddling flat and straight.

train hills harder. a lot harder. and just train the bike more in general.
Transition 2
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

girl next to me had all her stuff spread out on the rack, her wetsuit, towel etc so I had to move her stuff just to rack my bike. otherwise a decent transition
Run
  • 1h 05m 34s
  • 6.22 miles
  • 10m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

passed 11 people total. 2 had white bibs (sprint triathlon?) and 9 had yellow bibs which were definitely the olympic triathletes.

Finished my pack of powerbar energy chews (strawberry banana) and drank my entire frozen water bottle. (camelback). my frozen water bottle stayed cold almost the whole time and I had just barely enough liquid to make the race. being able to skip 3 of the 4 aid stations definitely improved my time and allowed me to pass a few extra people.

there was a lady who passed me on the bike and was just barely ahead of me on the run. I made it my goal to pass her, but it wasn't looking very good. then in the final 2 miles she started running with her friend who kept a slower pace. I still wasn't probably going to catch them except they stopped briefly at aid station #4 and I almost caught them....then there was a small hill just after that and they jogged up it quite slowly and I decided this was my chance. I've been running up that hill at glendoveer and this was smaller than that so I charged the hill and passed them and they never caught me after that.

nothing really. training more to be faster
Post race
Warm down:

refilled my water bottle. peed. ate half a piece of cheese pizza. dunked in the lake

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of training especially on the bike. I say this every time, but it was especially true this time because the bike course was hilly and challenging.

Event comments:

absolutely beautiful course! Even though I found the bike course to be too challenging based on my abilities, I would not change it because climbing those hills is what gives you the breathtaking views.

Lots of volunteers and spectators, actually this race easily had more spectators than any other race I've ever done. not just friends/family of the athletes but since this race goes through the heart of downtown plenty of locals and tourists grab a coffee and a lawn chair and cheer you on. the community support was far above average.

the race organizers took advantage of all the most beautiful streets and trails so that you're constantly either on the lake, on the river or have a view of the water.

Last updated: 2016-08-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:47:01 | 1500 meters | 03m 08s / 100meters
Age Group: 11/11
Overall: 192/197
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: clockwise triangular around 2 buoys. very clear water, could see the bottom pretty much the whole time!
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:39
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:57:58 | 24.88 miles | 12.65 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/11
Overall: 196/197
Performance: Bad
according to my watch: distance:22.82 average cadence 68 avg. speed 11.6 MPH max speed 32.4 MPH 5 mile splits: 5 26:00.2 avg speed 11.5 cadence 69 10 29:19.5 avg speed 10.2 cadence 69 15 28:08.9 avg speed 10.6 cadence 63 20 21:09.9 avg speed 14.2 cadence 68 2.82 13:07.1 avg speed 12.9 cadence 73
Wind: Little
Course: out CdA lake drive and back then up big hill into hilly neighborhood then down sunnyside road and back onto CdA lake drive
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 68
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:36
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
01:05:34 | 06.22 miles | 10m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/11
Overall: 163/197
Performance: Average
1 9:59.13 2 9:55.13 3 10:49.6 4 11:09.5 5 10:52.4 6 10:22.8 .23 2:08.23
Course: pretty flat and nice. out Centennial trail along CdA river and back. 2 aid stations at 1.5 miles and 2.5 miles. I skiped aid station #1,2 briefly stopped at #3 and drank Heed and skipped #4.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2016-08-16 1:59 PM

User image

Regular
Oregon
Subject: Coeur d'Alene Triathlon - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Coeur d'Alene Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Coeur D'Alene Triathlon - Scenic Sprint Course

Started by burner2
Views: 1553 Posts: 1

2016-08-13 10:05 PM burner2

Coeur d'Alene Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by mark.evans
Views: 840 Posts: 1

2014-08-10 5:15 PM mark.evans

Coeur d'Alene Triathlon

Started by CMBDO
Views: 1408 Posts: 1

2006-11-06 11:34 PM CMBDO

Coeur d'Alene Triathlon

Started by alexa679
Views: 1829 Posts: 6

2006-08-15 9:26 PM yojimbo

Coeur d'Alene Triathlon

Started by boglecda
Views: 1823 Posts: 3

2006-08-14 9:20 AM c_cic
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : August 17, 2007
author : IRONVIKING
Athletes were buzzing around, adding last minute things to their transition bags. The sidewalks and grassy areas are filled with spectators and cameras. Announcements were being made.

date : July 10, 2007
Eating To Win, Eating To Live. A collection of heart-healthy recipes that fuels Ironman training. Also some pre-race thoughts before Ironman Coeur d’Alene.
date : May 11, 2007
When it comes down to it, it’s me who has to believe I can run a full marathon after swimming and biking, and no amount of others’ belief in me is going to help.

date : April 12, 2007
The first month of training is in the books. I am learning several tips that could help you along the way on your Ironman quest.
date : April 12, 2007
How BT is preparing me for the Coeur d'Alene IronMan.