General Discussion Race Reports! » Chicago Triathlon - International Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Chicago Triathlon - International Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Chicago, Illinois
United States
Life Time Fitness
69F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 57m 58s
Overall Rank = 1013/2761
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 153/284
Pre-race routine:

The day prior to the race I made sure that all nutrition and gear check was taken care of before packing it all into my trusty TYR bag. Since I did my course talk and packet pick up on Friday (unlike last year when I did it on Saturday) I had a relatively, stress-free Saturday. And yet my mind kept on the race! Fortunately, one of my friends provided the best diversion when he texted me and asked me if I wanted to go check out a movie with him that night. I biked a leisurely 6 miles to transition to drop off the bike, and then met up with my friend at the theater. The 2 hour diversion was perfect for me to get my mind of the race and to stop worrying about every little detail! Needless to say, I went home relaxed, did some last minute preparations and gear check to make sure everything was in order, and then went to bed around 10:30 pm. Had my alarm set for 3:30 am, and I knew I wasn't going to get much sleep the night before the race , but I got almost 10 hours the night before, so I wasn't worried. Besides, the adrenaline of the race kept me pretty energized.

That morning I consumed 2 eggs and waffles for breakfast. Was around 4:45 am and still pitch dark when I stepped out and hailed a cab outside my condo. Arrived to a slew of fellow triathletes just walking into the transition area with their bikes. Great, I'm now inside the race area! I was drinking gatorade along the way to the race. Consumed a gel right before heading towards swim.

Was a little nervous for the swim due to my goggles fogging up recently during practices, so I made extra sure to keep them tight around my nose. As I jumped into the water, I swished some water around the insides of the goggle, and then put them on and tightened the straps. I'm ready and raring to go!

Event warmup:

Performed some general stretching.
Swim
  • 36m 3s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 24s / 100 meters
Comments:

Improved my swim from last year. Breathing to the right for the most part and never had any issues sighting during the race. Swam the entire distance without stopping and came up for a full sighting around the buoy.
What would you do differently?:

Since arms got tired due to wetsuit, considering going sleeveless.
Transition 1
  • 06m 26s
Comments:

Better T1 than last year. Was able to get my suit off faster, took a few swigs of salt water and a gel before the bike. Double tied my shoes.
Bike
  • 1h 13m 51s
  • 40 kms
  • 32.50 km/hr
Comments:

Really pushed hard and did better than expected! Got through the first split (15.2 miles) in a time of 44:42, which is a marked improvement when considering last year's sprint triathlon where I completed 14.5 miles in 47:11.

Clipless pedals and aero handlebars planned for next year will hopefully with enough practice give me an additional 2-3 mph at the same effort/intensity level.
Transition 2
  • 02m 35s
Comments:

Just had to rack my bike, take off helmet, and put bib on.
Run
  • 59m 6s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 55s  min/km
Comments:

Legs were completely done at this point! Tight quads and hammys and legs felt heavy. Shuffled for the entire 10k.Started cramping up around mile 3 and stomach cramped up starting mile 4, indicating dehydration.

Consume more fluids during the bike and during T2
Post race
Warm down:

So excited to complete the race! First olympic triathlon in the bag, check! After crossing the line, I immediately started consuming the water that the volunteers handed over, and started stretching my hamstrings and calves. The table with the bananas was a welcome sight indeed! Eventually I found my friends who (again) missed cheering me at the finish line :/ Oh wells, there's always next year.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Proper fluid consumption during the race, which I can attribute to lack of practice drinking the water bottle out of the cage.

Event comments:

Finished my first Olympic triathlon! Very happy with my time of 2:57:58, as I wanted to beat a time of 3 hours. Very happy about my performance on the swim and bike, but perhaps I didn't leave enough in the tank for the run, which was plenty hard and the sun coming out towards the end certainly didn't make matters easier.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2016-09-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:03 | 1500 meters | 02m 24s / 100meters
Age Group: 201/284
Overall: 1749/2761
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot Z-Force 1
Course: Monroe Harbor, south first 1/4 mile, then turn around large buoy then head north almost 3/4 mile until end
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:26
Performance:
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:13:51 | 40 kms | 32.50 km/hr
Age Group: 138/284
Overall: 772/2761
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Starting on randolph, going up the ramp to Lakeshore drive, went north until Foster then turned around and came back to enter lower wacker.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:35
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:59:06 | 10 kms | 05m 55s  min/km
Age Group: 159/284
Overall: 1171/2761
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2016-09-11 3:56 PM

User image

Subject: Chicago Triathlon - International Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chicago Triathlon - International Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Chicago Triathlon - International Course

Started by marysia83
Views: 2504 Posts: 12

2017-08-30 2:13 PM mtnbikerchk

San Diego International Triathlon - International Course

Started by cjhild
Views: 2378 Posts: 3

2009-07-05 6:38 AM BabsVa

Started by julioyadriana
Views: 1647 Posts: 1

2009-06-28 2:39 PM julioyadriana

Started by seakiteair
Views: 1675 Posts: 1

2009-06-28 12:57 PM seakiteair

Started by Scottt
Views: 1672 Posts: 2

2007-06-27 11:49 AM KellyM
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : January 1, 2008
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!
date : December 3, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : November 22, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!

date : July 11, 2007
author : Amy Kuitse
Discussions on training after adductor tendonitis, swimming drills, training after 3 down base weeks from allergies to get ready for a HIM, hill drills, Computrainer courses vs outside rides and more.
date : October 2, 2005
author : AMSSM
Knowing where the fluids are, how they will fit on your bike, how much to reach for, and when to reach for it should be understood prior to ever setting foot on the course.

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.