United States
78F / 26C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 17m 58s
Overall Rank = 83/240
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/11
Pre-race routine:

Ate a Clif bar and a banana around 5. Got ready while Jeff walked Chloe. Got to the race after 6, set up transition, got in for warm up swim, and walked over to swim start.
Event warmup:

Just a warm up swim. I had wanted to get to Hightstown at least 20 minutes earlier than we did, which would have left me time for a warm-up run as well, but Jeff had a late night and was slow getting going. I ended up swimming four times back and forth across the narrow part of the lake where they allowed us to warm up, including some high cadence sprints. It was enough to get me going this time. I don't get a run warm-up in consistently anyway (and seem to do better on days I don't!).
Swim
  • 07m 32s
  • 500 yards
  • 01m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

I wanted to defend my title as first woman out of the water, but at the swim start another woman shot ahead and I knew it wasn't worth trying to catch her. I ended up taking out the first 75 or so pretty hard, then dropping down into an easier pace. I swam right next to someone else (turned out to be a 17-year-old in a team Speedo) for most of the swim - had a hard time getting ahead of her, and when I finally did, she had a better line to the buoy, and the next time I got shunted aside by a man from the previous wave into some of the branches along the shore. I tried to shove at him to get him (and me) out of that mess and into deeper water, but it didn't work well, so I had to slow a bit to avoid further entanglement and ended up behind her. Third lady out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

I would have liked to equal last year's time, but I think what I did worked well - also, I was in my tri suit and sports bra instead of a regular Speedo, so the drag alone could account for those 30 seconds. Next time I'd be sure to stay wide of those branches by the shore, though, even though I want to keep a similar line.
Transition 1
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

This was a pretty fast T1, considering the problems that slowed me down. I went to the transition clinic Hightstown held on Friday and picked up a few pointers, as well as reminders of what a neat and efficient transition area should look like. This helped me quite a bit during the race. I still had trouble getting my socks on (despite stretching them out the night before), because bending over when a bit dizzy from the swim was tricky. Then the back of my left bike shoe was crushed under my heel and I spent several seconds trying to get it out and straightened. I felt like those things were taking forever, but it couldn't have been too bad because I got out of there

I think I did everything well (I was second lady out of T1, so I gained some time there). I couldn't really help the problem with my shoe. I could avoid those small orange socks, because they are harder to get on than my normal ones. One thing I did really well, though, was choose to bring the small Steelman hand towel instead of a normal towel. That was all I really needed to wipe my face and feet and it kept me from getting things tangled up in the big one I usually have.
Bike
  • 37m 43s
  • 11.2 miles
  • 17.82 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike felt pretty good. Took me a few minutes to get going, as usual, but I felt really comfortable on the course. I was able to keep a consistent cadence and to get up and down small rolling hills easily and smoothly (including passing multiple people on descents - even small ones - am I a badass descender?). I managed to drink a bottle plus a little before finishing. The only hiccup was that they put the mount line all the way out into the street, so we had to run quite a bit with our bikes after crossing the timing pad. I tried to start my watch a little after crossing, but messed up and put it on some other setting. I then had to wait until I had mounted the bike and started up the road before I could fix it, so I was never completely sure how long that had taken, so it was hard to gauge my pace on the course. If I had a real bike computer, this wouldn't be a problem.

This was perfect for where I am right now.
Transition 2
  • 00m 48s
Comments:

This was a great T2. Now that I have to change shoes, I thought I could never hope equal last year's :32. Maybe I can't, but this was a damn good try. I knew exactly where my rack was, I racked the bike smoothly (no crushing my finger with it like at Steelman), I switched shoes really smoothly, and I grabbed my race belt and watch to put on while running. I think that, in particular, that tip helped my transition the most. Fumbling with my watch can take a long time, but when I didn't feel like I had to get it done quickly, it helped everything go more smoothly.

Nothing at all.
Run
  • 30m 24s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a pretty good run for me right now. It took a good half mile to get my legs under me, but I kept plugging along and didn't let myself to walk, though I let myself slow down and relax my breathing cadence. I felt pretty bad until the first mile marker, when the knowledge that I was under a 10:00 pace as well as the slight downhill that started both helped improve my morale. I did a great job pushing through the rest of the run, not walking at all. What also helped was the knowledge that I was probably sitting third in my age group - I didn't want to lose that. I tried to accelerate slowly from about half a mile out, and ended in a sprint (a little unwilling, but I heard the crowd cheering another person coming on strong behind me).

In the moment, nothing. It was great. In the long term, though, I really need to work on improving my run pace. I'd like to be faster than this.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around quite a bit, hung out in the Central Jersey Tri Club tent (I joined yesterday), went to PJ's Pancake House on the way home ;)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training. I have not been training for speed in any discipline. What I did was very much in line with how I've done in my workouts. If I worked on more speed in the swim and run, particularly, I'd have that at my disposal.

Event comments:

Love the Hightstown Tri. It's a well-run small, local race. Since I know a lot of the people who race there from OWS practice, it has a really homey feel.

Last updated: 2016-06-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:32 | 500 yards | 01m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/11
Overall: 7/240
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot tri top and shorts
Course: Jump in at the gate on the north side, down to almost the bridge, turn around buoys, back along shore to the boat launch.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:33
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:37:43 | 11.2 miles | 17.82 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/11
Overall: 109/240
Wind: Little
Course: Lollipop on county roads
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:48
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:30:24 | 03.1 miles | 09m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/11
Overall: 143/240
Performance: Average
Course: Same course as last year but in reverse, with the finish line in front of Tavern on the Lake, right by transition, which was nicer than the block away we had last year.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes