General Discussion Race Reports! » Life Time Tri Tempe - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Life Time Tri Tempe - Sprint Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tempe, Arizona
United States
Life Time Triathlon Series
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 31m 6s
Overall Rank = 107/362
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 13/30
Pre-race routine:

I woke up at 03:30 and was picked up by Lee at 04:30. I drank a cup of coffee, and ate a honey stinger. I was able to use the bathroom twice at home, but wasn't able to get it all out and had to stop off before the lines formed at the porta johns for a final round.

I went into the transition area, and laid out my stuff, and talked with the racers around me. During that time I was sipping on a half Gatorade half water mixture and had a bite more of a honey stinger waffle. At 06:15 we were told to clear the transition area.

I found my dad and wife before my start time of 07:18. During that time it was a long wait with some walking around and trying to stay loose. I should have brought some comfortable sandles to walk around in as my feet got sore.

I also had put some anti fog stuff on my goggles in the transition area, that hardened to make my goggles a blur when looking through them. Next time no defogger. I was able to fix the problem, but it was a hassle to deal with.
Event warmup:

None.
Swim
  • 13m 34s
  • 800 meters
  • 01m 42s / 100 meters
Comments:

Rank for men was 13th.

Start of race was what I would expect. we had open water for about the 1st buoy or so, then started running into other heats. I was able to get out front fairly quickly and avoided most of the unintentional bumping that usually happens.

Sighting was impossible with the sunrise and the glare. I am not sure if even brand new metallic goggles would have made a difference. Best bet was to keep the wall on your right side about the same distance from you as when you started.

The 1st roughly third of the race, my arms were very tight, and felt tired. After that I loosened up and the race started to feel better.

Due to being the 14th wave to go, there was quite a bit of passing slower swimmers in the earlier heats. This was annoying, but nothing too difficult.

The buoys throughout were well marked and not terribly hard to see. The finish was marked well and the exit from the water was simple and easy with the use of the handrails.
What would you do differently?:

I would not use the antifog that had put on while in the transition area. I was fine starting in the middle front position, and didn't have many issues. The only thing I would do differently would be swim more prior to the event in training. I think that would stop the arm soreness I felt the first 300 meters.
Transition 1
  • 02m 44s
Comments:

The transition from the swim had a longer run to the transition area. It was over wet concrete and was, in my opinion slippery and a hazard. I took smaller steps while running and that seemed to make it safe.

Once in the transition area, I was able to dry off, and get on my bike shirt without it rolling up on me. I took my time drying off. Getting on my socks was not an issue. Getting my helmet on was not an issue either. I put on my sunglasses and ran with my bike to the mount line.

Mounting my bike was fine. I was able to peddle on my shoes for probably the first 0.25 miles until it straightened out then finally slipped my feet into my shoes with no issues.

I don't think i would do much different, honestly. I could practice the transition more before the triathlon to make it go more quickly.
Bike
  • 42m 16s
  • 12.52 miles
  • 17.77 mile/hr
Comments:

This apparently is my weakest of the 3 disciplines according to how I rank among other triathletes, though running is not far behind!

I was actually pleased with this bike ride. I pushed it hard, and that's about as fast as I was going to go on this course, and not completely walk the run portion. I stayed on the big ring the entire time and switched gears only when needed for hills or wind.

I was happy with the average cadence, that I tried to keep between 80 and 90

I hit a GU pack up around mile 9. The drinking seemed to be fine, and I went through most of bottle 1.

My buddy Ed, passed me around mile 9 or 10 and that was fun to see him and race with him,

I was able to come out of my shoes with no issues, and peddled on top of my shoes the last 0.25 miles

I just need more saddle time. Though I'm thrilled with how I did for an average speed, I need to find a way to get the average speed up. That will only happen through more riding.
Transition 2
  • 01m 35s
Comments:

This transition seemed to go well. Took off my helmet after racking the bike. Placed the helmet on the front handle bar by it's strap.

Stepped into my running shoes, and tied them. I put on my race belt while jogging out of the transition area.

No issues.

Only thing would be to get lazy laces as that would take off a few seconds.
Run
  • 31m
  • 3.08 miles
  • 10m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

This run was much more difficult than I expected. When I first started running, I felt my thighs wanting to cramp up. It wasn't from a lack of fluid, but from pushing myself harder on the bike than I did in training.

Due to my legs wanting to tighten up on me and the heat, the goal was to just keep a consistent jog throughout the entire run portion and not walk. This jog was definitely not fast, and was about 1.5 to 2 min slower than 4 years ago.

I really wanted more fluid on this run, and I didn't bring a water bottle with me which turned out to be an issue. The aid stations were too far apart for such a hot day.

As with my bike, I just need to train more with running. I would also bring fluid with me in my hand if i was to do this course again.

I may have pushed the bike a bit too hard, which slowed down the run a bit.

For 1 month of training, I was pleased overall.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing, I talked with people and walked around the race site, cheering for people.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My lack of training going into this race was the biggest limiting factor. 1 month is not enough to be competitive. I could also stand to lose a few pounds, the pictures made that painfully obvious :)

The swim helps me, the run and bike hurt me. Pretty easy to see where I need to improve.

Event comments:

Only issue I had was that, for me, there were not enough drink stations along the run.

I may also suggest the run from the swim exit into the grass transition was slippery and could be an issue.

Last updated: 2016-09-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:34 | 800 meters | 01m 42s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/30
Overall: 18/362
Performance: Good
calculated out to roughly 1:33 per 100 yards
Suit: TYR tri shorts
Course: The course was a rectangle. Nothing complicated. Well marked. Sun rising was an issue to see 1st buoy, just had to guess.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:44
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:42:16 | 12.52 miles | 17.77 mile/hr
Age Group: 18/30
Overall: 164/362
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: The course was around the Tempe town lake area. The course was mostly flat. With some small climbs, and some headwinds when traveling a certain direction. It was well marked, and the volunteers were all placed in the right areas.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:35
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:31:00 | 03.08 miles | 10m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/30
Overall: 160/362
Performance: Average
Course: This was literally a run around the lake. Nothing unexpected, a small hill getting onto both bridges. Water stations were at the very start, right before the 1st bridge turn, and right before the last bridge. There were not nearly enough water stations on the course for the heat. I will absolutely bring my own fluid next time.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2016-09-19 12:52 PM

User image

Phoenix, AZ
Subject: Life Time Tri Tempe - Sprint Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Life Time Tri Tempe - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Life Time Tri Tempe - Sprint Course

Started by jonnygymshoes
Views: 1127 Posts: 1

2014-09-24 12:05 PM jonnygymshoes

Life Time Tri Tempe - International Course

Started by aargenz1
Views: 608 Posts: 1

2014-09-24 12:35 AM aargenz1

Started by Rockinfire
Views: 847 Posts: 1

2014-09-22 3:28 PM Rockinfire

Started by tomspharmacy
Views: 1142 Posts: 1

2014-09-22 10:47 AM tomspharmacy

Life Time Tri Chicago - Sprint Course

Started by cvette4
Views: 1154 Posts: 1

2012-08-28 1:14 PM cvette4
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
comments : 0
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : January 1, 2008
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!
date : December 3, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!
date : January 30, 2006
author : acbadger
Should I have time goals for the first sprint? Should I just finish the race at a reasonable pace? I'm not sure how to approach this.

date : January 29, 2006
author : lv2teach
comments : 1
It’s a challenge to push yourself a little harder and a little further. Be proud of every workout that is accomplished and every step-even the baby ones-that you take on this course to the finishline.