General Discussion Race Reports! » Nautica Malibu Triathlon - International Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Nautica Malibu Triathlon - International Distance - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Malibu, California
United States
Michael Epstein Sports Productions
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 35m 32s
Overall Rank = 990/1192
Age Group = Clysdale
Age Group Rank = 21/30
Pre-race routine:

I was able to get decent parking and was able to setup my transition space pretty well. I need practice with this as I need to set it up a little more efficiently. I was able to have nutrition pretty early around 4:45 with a race start of 7:00 am. Getting there early settled me down a bit. I was able to use the facilities and get my wet suit on.
Event warmup:

We met at the main stage and then walked one mile to the start. This was a partial warm-up and also got int he water and swam a little to make sure my goggles didn't fog, and most everything worked well
Swim
  • 34m 19s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 17s / 100 meters
Comments:

I went well but my suit unzipped in the waves. Not sure exactly why, but it did. Had to have assistance from lifeguard as I couldn't get it in the water.
What would you do differently?:

Have someone make sure suit is zipped correctly and flap if properly Velcro properly.
Transition 1
  • 07m 48s
Comments:

When I was taking off my suit I soaked all of my gear. Going to research what to do about this. My setup of my space was not efficient I was looking for my shoes. Had a really hard time getting my jersey on and zipped. little things but I fought with it.

Practice, Practice Practice. Anytime I do an open water swim I plan to setup a transition space and change in to my bike stuff. Figure out what works and do it.
Bike
  • 1h 24m 56s
  • 40 kms
  • 28.26 km/hr
Comments:

As mentioned about the course, I loved it. I forgot to eat something (GU, Bar, or something) and felt really hungry on course.

Push harder on the hills, I think I could have put more energy in here and ridden harder. In my confusion I thought I forgot my bake up tire and stuff. I also forgot to grab nutrition as I was really hungry.
Transition 2
  • 03m 49s
Comments:

I felt ok with this.transition, but I forgot to remove my tire and inflalator out of my jersey. Luckily my fiance and friend were there and I was able to pass these off to them in the first mile

Make sure my pockets are clear, I was so hungry that I grabbed two bars and wolfed them down. Not the greatest thing to do right before a run.
Run
  • 1h 25m 1s
  • 10 kms
  • 08m 30s  min/km
Comments:

This is my worst. I ran actually one of my fastest 10ks. Which means my speed is rising, but I will definitely need more improvement here.

Run more prior to the event. I made excuses on run days and blew them off too often.
Post race
Warm down:

Get a little nutrition and rest a bit. Water and Gatorade, and then a long walk back to the car. Lunch with RUM.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

For my first Olympic I felt I did ok. I was right at where I predicted myself. I have room to improve. I plan to do a few more at this distance before planning on a HIM.

Event comments:

The only negative was that they ran out of medals. I know I will get one, but it happened. Otherwise, almost a perfectly run race. The also raise a ton of money for childhood Cancer Treatments. Like 1,300,000 plus.

Last updated: 2016-09-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:19 | 1500 meters | 02m 17s / 100meters
Age Group: 15/30
Overall: 762/1192
Performance: Good
NO HRM
Suit: Yes
Course: 150 yard out with a right hand turn, I was always facing the beach. They had 6 buoys and easy to sight.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 07:48
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:24:56 | 40 kms | 28.26 km/hr
Age Group: 15/30
Overall: 699/1192
Performance: Good
17.7 MPH no HRM
Wind: None
Course: Course was hilly, but not horrible. Definitely had to get in the granny gears a couple of times, but you were able to then speed down the downhills. I hit 40.1 MPH as my top speed. That is the fastest I have recorded. I road the course the week before and will say I enjoy that ride. Harder than some of my training rides, and easy than some of them. Will definitely take more chances on the hills and push myself harder next year.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 81
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:49
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:25:01 | 10 kms | 08m 30s  min/km
Age Group: 25/30
Overall: 0/1192
Performance: Below average
13:41 M/M
Course: Flat Flat Flat. Flat and fast for some. The only issue was I read an old map and was not necessarily prepared to run all the way out to point Dume. Mile 3,4 5 took forever in my head.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2016-09-21 10:57 AM

User image

Subject: Nautica Malibu Triathlon - International Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Nautica Malibu Triathlon - International Distance Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Nautica Malibu Triathlon - International Distance

Started by jdbertsch
Views: 1446 Posts: 1

2015-09-24 4:26 PM jdbertsch

Nautica Malibu Triathlon - Herbalife International Distance

Started by Fastyellow
Views: 2209 Posts: 7

2011-09-23 8:09 AM PeakTriCoaching

Started by Whamxbamxpow
Views: 1772 Posts: 2

2011-09-20 11:23 PM chaazman

Started by C.J.
Views: 977 Posts: 2

2011-03-03 2:12 AM minicar

Started by TheWolf
Views: 1511 Posts: 4

2010-09-13 9:05 PM TheWolf
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 14, 2009
author : scoobysdad
comments : 0
Excerpts from the full-length movie of three BT'ers following their dreams to Ironman. Meet BT'er tripletmom01

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : February 19, 2007
author : McFuzz
comments : 4
Looking to do your first triathlon? Here is a look beyond the distances.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.
date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Keep in mind that the taper period is as important to your body as all of the long hours you’ve put in the pool, on the bike and on the road. It is meant to help you rest, recover and rejuvenate.

date : October 2, 2005
author : AMSSM
Knowing where the fluids are, how they will fit on your bike, how much to reach for, and when to reach for it should be understood prior to ever setting foot on the course.