Canada
The Kelowna Apple Triathlon Society
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 18m 37s
Overall Rank = 405/442
Age Group = F20-24
Age Group Rank = 170/189
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5 and jumped in a nice hot shower to loosen up. For breakfast, we had mini-bagels. When we went grocery shopping for breakfast food the day before, James insisted that we get the mini ones. I think he has secretly developed a love for all things tiny. After breakfast, I grabbed my bottles from the fridge (James forgot his...more on this later) and we headed out the door.

James' dad dropped us off near transition so we could check in. We had dropped our bikes off the day before, which was really nice because it made for one less bulky thing to deal with on race morning. Our spots in transition were numbered, and I ended up with an awesome spot that was near one of the corners, at the end of a rack, and very easy to find. I was very close to the bike entrance/exit, but far from the swim entrance and run exit. Still, I never once worried about not finding my bike.
Event warmup:

Transition closed at 7:15, but my swim heat didn't start until 8:15, which meant I wore my wetsuit while spectating for quite a while. I saw Bob and then Carolyn, and Carolyn and I watched for Jan and cheered her on as she came out of the swim. About 15 minutes before my heat started, I swam a bit in the warmup area to get the nerves out. It was very weedy there and there were TONS of little fish swimming is huge schools. It was kinda cool to swim through big schools of fish and have them part like the Red Sea. Another girl swimming near me noticed that too, and we had a good laugh about it. I was more nervous for the beginning of this race than the last one, but I felt prepared.
Swim
  • 34m 36s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 19s / 100 meters
Comments:

My whole heat started standing on the beach and ran into the water when the horn sounded. I thought this kind of start might be difficult, but it was actually kind of fun because of all the splashing and dolphin diving at the beginning. There was also a really cool sensation right at the beginning of being pulled along by all of the swimmers in front of me since we were all in one big pack. The heats were organized by age group and not swim time, and most of the women in my age group are quite a bit faster than I am. I didn't go out fast enough to catch a draft on the first loop, but in retrospect, I'm not sure how possible that would have been given how much faster the other swimmers seemed to be. Eventually, as the heat spread out, I was able to find some other slow swimmers and catch a bit of a draft, but not for very long. The swimmers I was drafting from were really not any faster than me, so I drafted just to take a break, and then swam on my own when I wanted to go a bit faster.

The first loop went really smoothly. I was a bit worried about sighting and navigation because of the way the course was set up in a circle, but it wasn't really a problem because I sighted a lot. I tried to swim as close to the buoy line as possible and round the buoys by using the backstroke technique. I love doing that. ;) Running around the buoy on the beach wasn't as big of a deal as I thought it would be, except that running on a beach in a wetsuit really spikes the heck out of your heart rate!! I did see Carolyn on the beach at the buoy and it was great to hear her cheering. I made it back into the water just fine, though, and got to do some more splashing.

Speaking of splashing, at about the time I was starting my first loop, they released the hounds. That is to say that the last heat (M25-35) took off from the beach, and quickly caught up to me. I actually felt them coming before I saw them if you can believe it, because the water started to rock as if a boat had gone past somewhere out in the middle of the lake. At this point, I started to get pommeled. Those men are aggressive! Once, when I turned to breath, I got a mouthful of water from a guy swimming past me, so I had to stop for a minute and hang onto a kayak until I stopped choking on the lake. The good news is that this didn't freak me out, probably because it has happened so much in training. The man in the kayak asked me if I was resting or dropping out. I thought, are you crazy?? I'm not dropping out because I drank some lake water!

The second loop felt pretty slow, but it was enjoyable. I remembered to start taking my wetsuit off as soon as I came out of the water and began the seemingly mile-long jog to transition. (It was probably around 50m but still...it felt long in a wetsuit!)
What would you do differently?:

Try harder to catch a draft.
Transition 1
  • 03m 18s
Comments:

I had a great transition spot, but it was at the other end from the swim entrance, so it was a bit of a hike to my transition area from the water. I didn't hurry too much through this transition because I was a little dizzy, but I don't think it was particularly slow.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 31m 56s
  • 40 kms
  • 26.11 km/hr
Comments:

As usual, I felt a little slow starting the bike. It always takes me a while to start feeling warmed up after the swim and get my legs going. The course, which was supposed to be nearly pancake flat, was changed due to some construction, and as a result we had one rather large hill to climb near the beginning of each loop.

The first time up the hill was probably the hardest because I wasn't feeling very warm yet. Admittedly, climbing is not one of my strengths, and people were passing me left and right as we climbed. But about mid-way up the hill on the first loop, I realized that I was hanging with a rather fit-looking man and he wasn't dropping me. I was overcome with happiness at my ability to stay with a guy on a hill, and patted myself on the back. My feeling of accomplishment vanished, however, when I looked down and saw that this man only had one leg!! Ah well, I will have to ride a lot of hills in the off season.

The first time up the hill really helped me warm up quickly, and I felt great for the first 20k or so. After about 20k, biking starts to hurt, probably because I haven't done many long training rides. It wasn't too bad...just a little bit of aching in my back, but I think I just need more time in the saddle to get used to staying in that position for a long time. I'm confident that Ironman training will be the cure.

James' parents were sitting along the road near the end of the bike loop, just before the transition area. It was so fun to see them each time I passed on the bike and have them cheer for me.

As usual, I probably could have pushed it a bit more near the end instead of backing off so much to get ready for transition, but overall it was a comfortable and solid bike for me.
Transition 2
  • 01m 31s
Comments:

A relaxed transition, nothing too interesting

Nothing
Run
  • 1h 07m 18s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

By the time I got to the run, it was pretty hot out, and keeping cool was definitely the biggest challenge. Coming from Texas and being used to running in crazy heat, I never thought heat would be an issue for me. But I have definitely acclimated to Victoria's cooler temperatures. It wasn't until the second loop, when my hip was starting to hurt and my feet felt hot and swollen, that I realized I could dump water on myself at the aid stations. Once I did that a couple of times, I felt much better, and I wish I had thought about doing it from the beginning.

The run, as usual, was quite slow, especially the second loop. In fact, I was going so slow that I was able to get a hug from James' mom without slowing down! Without a specific time goal, though, I was happy to just keep going and enjoy myself. It's a nice feeling to be able to race with a smile on.

I'm looking forward to some marathon training this fall and lots of cycling next year. I think the combination of a stronger, more confident run and a more efficient bike will really improve my run times.

Start cooling off earlier. I really think I could have been a tiny bit faster had I figured that out sooner.
Post race
Warm down:

I found James and his parents waiting for me at the finish line and had some water and a banana. Believe it or not, fluids were kind of hard to find at the finish of the race, which seemed crazy given the temperature. We grabbed out stuff and headed straight home, where James' mom made us a delicious pizza before we had to drive back to Victoria. I wish someone would make us lunch after every race!!

The drive home was uncomfortable, as we sat for hours in the car (and hours waiting at the ferry terminal) and got nice and stiff. I'm looking forward to lots of yoga this fall and winter, as I've noticed serious changes in my flexibility over the course of the season.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of strategy for dealing with heat

Event comments:

This was my goal race and final race of the season. I guess for me, a "goal race" simply means I made it through the whole season and completed it. So much has happened since January of this year, when James and I signed up for a triathlon clinic. We've both really come a long way, and I'm very proud of both of us.

This race was extremely well organized. I have decided that I really like the Olympic distance, and maybe after Ironman next year I will focus on this distance for a while. Unless I catch the Ironman bug, that is!

Last updated: 2006-04-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:36 | 1500 meters | 02m 19s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/189
Overall: 367/442
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca P-Flex
Course: Circular 2-loop course. We had to come out of the water and run around a buoy on the beach to start the second loop.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 21C / 70F Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:18
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:31:56 | 40 kms | 26.11 km/hr
Age Group: 0/189
Overall: 405/442
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Mostly flat four-loop course with one big hill thrown in (four times, of course) for good measure
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:31
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good