United States
95F / 35C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 54m 9s
Overall Rank = 199/373
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3:00 am, started loading the car. Woke Kelly up at 3:30. Continuted drinking my weak cytomax from the night before, had one monster energy drink. Picked mom up at 4:00. Went by whataburger at 4:10 and ate a bacon/egg taquito. Arrived at the site at 5:20 am, parked, got numbered, set up T1/T2. Ate a PB clif bar and then took all the pills at about 6:10am: 8xMuscle nitro, 1xVitamin, 1xGlucosamine, 2xEndurox, 1xAntiOxidant, 1xIbprofin, 1xAleve. Meeting was at 6:55, and stood around stretching loosly until 7:27 when my wave left.
Event warmup:

some basic stretching... no real warmup
Swim
  • 34m 16s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 17s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was a swimmer in High School, and for years before that, so I really don't practice swimming, as my limiter is the running. I figured I'd be able to complete the swim, but that it would hurt and I would do poorly. In a pool, I do about 1:45/100 yards and can do a lot of those, but I make a lot of time up on the walls - I've only done one open swim at a beach so far - that was actually the last time that I was in the water, and it was about 3 weeks ago.
Pace was slow and strong, concentrated on efficiency, and long strokes, easy breathing.... I guess it worked.
At this event, I decided to go very easy on the swim, as I have never done a brick with a swim involved and I wasn't sure how it was going to affect the rest the event.
I felt very strong and confident through the whole swim, although I had very little idea where I was in my wave, although I knew I finished before many in some of the other waves. I was suprised to find out that I finished in the top third.
What would you do differently?:

I suspect that I probably swam about an extra 200 yards, I need to work on being able to do open swims in a straighter line. A very little bit of practice on the swim would net me a good amount of time just from conditioning, but for now I need to work on running. Most of my swiming should be focused on improving my open water ability.
I would rate this swim performance good, considering my lack of practice, but I think I could have done a lot better navigation, so I'm rating it average.
Transition 1
  • 03m 57s
Comments:

First transition ever... I didnt' practice this ever, so I didn't really know what to expect.

took 1 gel w/ caffeine, swig of h20, swig of defizzed redbull
Bike
  • 1h 14m
  • 26 miles
  • 21.08 mile/hr
Comments:

I probably passed 40-50 people, which gave me the impression that I was going faster than I was. I feel that cycling is my strongest portion, and looking at the results, I'm suprised I was this far down in the rankings in cycling, and as far up in swimming.

drank 2 bottles of 3xCytomax Scoop, drank 1 bottle of water from aero bottle, took one hammer gel

I had plenty of extra energy on this leg - probably could increased effort 20-30pct and knocked off 5-8mins. However, I didn't make any other mistakes, and my training has been to maintain a pace for 56 miles, not for 26.
Transition 2
  • 03m 32s
Comments:

Went really slow just like the other transition... didn't want to forget anything and was not in a rush at all. Didn't try to do anything fancy with the transition such as riding without shoes on, etc.

took one accelerade gel, a hit of the defizzed red bull, and a swig of water

The purpose of this TRI was to get things like transitions figured out, and not stress over things I haven't experienced yet. I was slow and methodical, and didn't forget to do anything. I'll probably mess around with not wearing socks in training to see if I can do that at the next one.
Run
  • 57m 30s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

first mile was 8 min
next 2 miles were 9 minutes
last three miles were around 10 minutes, maybe just a little under
walked the last 4 water stops (there were 7)
had to stop and tie my shoes 4x on the course... which is just silly.... I'm getting those little quick tie things for next time.

I am planning on visiting this course again soon to do some training on it, and get a feel for the pacing that I can do.
Post race
Warm down:

walked over to the shade and sat down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

1. Need to improve my running - mostly conditioning, although I feel I've made really great strides so far.
2. Bike - Could have pushed a little harder and still had enough left for the run, but I don't want to overdo it as I use
3. Swim - work on open water... suprisingly my conditioning isn't as weak as I thought

Event comments:

Placed 199/373 overall, and 7/26 Clydesdale, so i'm pretty happy. I totaled almost 8 minutes of transition; if I knocked that down by 5 mintues, which I think is totally reasonable, I would have finished 50 places higher overall, so I guess I was really near the middle of the bell curve for finishing time. Good race... my first, so I have nothing to compare it to, but it seemed very safe and well-run. I'll be back next time for sure......

Last updated: 2004-07-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:16 | 1500 meters | 02m 17s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/373
Performance: Average
Broke my HR monitor the freaking DAY BEFORE, so I have no HR Data for the whole race.
Suit:
Course: 1500 meter triangular course, murky water. In the future, I'd like to do a tri where the water is a bit more clear; it would be nice to be able to see more than 12" for navigation.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:57
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:14:00 | 26 miles | 21.08 mile/hr
Overall: 137/373
Performance:
HR was probably 130ish the whole time, maybe a touch higher while passing folks.
Wind: Some
Course: easy 13ish mile course, we did 2 loops, pretty flat, could have easily averaged 23 mph.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: ?
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:32
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:57:30 | 06.2 miles | 09m 16s  min/mile
Overall: 245/373
Performance: Average
HR was probably 145 at the beginning and rose to 155 over the course, so about what I had experienced in training at the end of long bricks. HR probably about 160 the last .25 miles into the chute.
Course: pretty much flat course... one little rise up on a damn before mile 3... went back down it around mile 5.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-07-20 1:35 PM

User image

Dallas, TX
Subject: Ironhead Dallas Triathlon

2004-07-20 2:23 PM
in reply to: #39065

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: Ironhead Dallas Triathlon

Great job!  and isn't it amazing that a few minutes makes a HUGE difference in place? 

You did awesome!

2004-07-20 3:27 PM
in reply to: #39065

Mississauga, Ont
Subject: RE: Ironhead Dallas Triathlon
great job  Congrat. On a good race
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironhead Dallas Triathlon Rss Feed