Set Up Events
79F / 26C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 56m 41s
Overall Rank = 322/440
Age Group = M 55-59
Age Group Rank = 15/18
Pre-race routine:

Had half a bagel with PB at the hotel, went to the BR a couple of times before we left. Would've loved to have had a smoothie but couldn't pull that off.
Event warmup:

Had to be at race site early so had plenty of time to pick up packet, apply numbers, and get transition area set up. I think more time than I've ever had. Swam just a little bit before the start.
Swim
  • 22m 4s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 56s / 100 meters
Comments:

One of primary reasons for doing this race was another chance at doing a 750m swim; need for that to become my norm. And I'm happy as this was probably one my best swims ever. I'd hoped to get this done in 27 minutes and I destroyed that, so I'm immensely pleased with how this turned out. So this confirms my decision to spend more time in the pool doing longer intervals. Will certainly take some time off from the pool now, but I need to do the same thing going forward to make these longer swim distances feel like the norm.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing at all; very happy with this and looking forward to matching it (maybe beating it?) next season.
Transition 1
  • 02m 46s
Comments:

Long run from the beach swim exit to T1, including a gradual uphill run. So I was surprised to see a time less than three minutes here.

Nothing. Good with this.
Bike
  • 56m 21s
  • 16 miles
  • 17.04 mile/hr
Comments:

Pretty decent bike ride. 132/160 AP/NP, so right at what I'd expect to do, with an 80% IF; little out of balance R/L, but everything else pretty even. Surprisingly, this didn't feel that difficult; felt just about right.

Not too much. I'd not planned to go nuts here and push, but to maintain a reasonable level of AP/NP and not wear myself out before the run. Managed that fine; if it felt like my legs were getting sore, I backed off.
Transition 2
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

Fairly quick T2, especially given long-ish run from dismount to the actual pen. I'd pulled my feet out of my shoes, so was susceptible to ground variety here; fortunately, most of the route was covered with carpeting, but there were a couple of gravelly sections that were tough on the paws.

Nothing; good with this. Could've cut some time if I can figure out how to get the shoes on faster.
Run
  • 33m 40s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

I had minimal expectations on this run given how poorly I've run earlier this season and my view of this as a "good time C race" My overall goal was to finish the event in under two hours, and I'd worked out that if I could meet certain times in the previous legs (which I actually beat), then I could cruise through a mediocre run at 33 minutes or so. Missed that target...big surprise, since I missed all running targets this year. But was close enough to beat my two hour goal. Best moment was a minute or so out of T2, running uphill and thinking, "This isn't going to work," then looking uphill and seeing at least 10-15 other competitors all walking. My kind of crowd!

For this race and my plan, nothing I'd do differently. Run went according to plan.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking around race site with a bottle of water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Same story here as rest of season: running ability, and inability to race the run after swimming and cycling.

Event comments:

Tremendous event; wish it was closer since we have to spend the night. But the locale, course, organization, post-race, etc. are all top notch. My only issue was the water temp measurement, which just didn't make sense given temps noted for the previous days. Oly race on Saturday was wetsuit eligible but somehow one day later, with no change in air temps, our race wasn't. Before the start, guy next to me in the water had done the Oly race the previous day and he said the water had actually been warmer on Saturday.

Last updated: 2016-09-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:04 | 750 meters | 02m 56s / 100meters
Age Group: 16/18
Overall: 395/440
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Sleeveless
Course: Out about 325y, across for about 100y, then straight back to beach. Nice lake and beach area, reminds me of Nockamixon in PA, with a much better beach. In fact, the whole park area was reminiscent of Nockamixon.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:46
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:56:21 | 16 miles | 17.04 mile/hr
Age Group: 14/18
Overall: 233/440
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Generally uphill for 2.75 miles out of the park, then a kind of lollipop into the surrounding woodsy countryside. Not hilly so much, but definitely rolling with a handful of fairly short but steep spots...Garmin shows climb over the distance at around 550 feet. Essentially no shoulder on the roads, but hardly any cars either. Pretty area, fun ride. Obviously downhill coming back in, and a little squirrelly at that.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 76
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:51
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:33:40 | 03.1 miles | 10m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 17/18
Overall: 355/440
Performance: Below average
Course: Uphill out of transition for about half a mile. Rolling from there, mostly downhill the last third of a mile or so, all contained within the park.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2016-10-23 6:42 PM

Subject: Giant Acorn Sprint
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Giant Acorn Sprint Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Giant Acorn Sprint

Started by starfsh106
Views: 1202 Posts: 1

2009-10-05 10:17 AM starfsh106

Giant Acorn Sprint

Started by gmoore6
Views: 1386 Posts: 1

2009-10-05 8:35 AM gmoore6

Giant Acorn Sprint

Started by fungi32
Views: 2086 Posts: 5

2009-10-06 10:42 PM Kevin G

Giant Acorn Sprint

Started by carteroak
Views: 1892 Posts: 5

2009-10-05 7:57 PM sdalessio

Giant Acorn Sprint

Started by windandsurf
Views: 1727 Posts: 3

2009-10-06 5:57 PM fungi32
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 0
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.
date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!

date : September 5, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 0
If you haven’t done any bricks yet, this isn’t the time to start piling them on, but here are some examples you could do in the lead up to your race.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.

date : July 30, 2006
author : acbadger
Since I didn't have much time and since it's a super sprint, am I OK just go to at the training relatively hard through Thursday or even Friday?
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
Couch-to-sprint triathlon training programs to get you over the finish-line of your first triathlon.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.