Other Resources The Political Joe » Trump steeling (sic) unions! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2017-01-26 1:16 PM
in reply to: Bob Loblaw

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Trump steeling (sic) unions!

Originally posted by Bob Loblaw

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by tuwood

On the union side, I agree completely that the Dem's have completely turned their backs on them.  When Biden rides off into the sunset I'm not sure if there are really any Dem's left that care about the blue collar workers.

It's quite likely the "Blue Wall" has been broken down for at least a generation.

If you think I'm wrong, take a look at the people vying to lead the DNC.  They're all arguing over how racist they can be against white people. 
https://youtu.be/LDOdcsh435Q

That's totally what America cares about... /eyeroll

It's downright funny to watch the implosion. 

As long as Republicans continue to push for right to work laws, Democrats will keep the support of unions.

There's no question there's been a long history of Republicans going at it with Unions, but the Unions have been evolving as well as the Republicans.  Most blue collar workers fit very well into the conservative footprint of social and fiscal conservatism, but the labor laws were enough to keep them away.
Unfortunately the Dem's have done as much or worse to the Unions with the globalization push so the labor law negative doesn't have near the teeth it used to have and these same workers are falling back on the other conservative principles they hold dear.

Obvoiusly they came out in big numbers for Trump and his anti-globalization message.  I will be curious how it translates into other candidates in the future. 

Trump might have gotten blue collar support, but he did not get union support. Three unions endorsed him; police, border patrol, and immigration/customs. 42 unions endorsed Hillary. She got the electricians, teamsters, carpenters, laborers, operators, steelworkers, teachers...the list goes on and on.

She didn't get the rank and file......at least not nearly enough.  You know this.

I won't argue that. She lost a lot of traditionally loyal support. What can I say, she wasn't a very good candidate. lol. But Tony said the Dems are losing the unions. That it's likely the blue wall has been broken down for at least a generation. They're not and it isn't. Not as long as right to work laws are part of the GOP platform. 

I can't find exit polling on how union households voted in our governor's race. But I'd be willing to bet a beer that they overwhelming voted against Greitens and his right to work pledge. 

You could be right....I know it was contentious.  I've ever been in a Union so I don't know much about right to work issues.

2017-01-26 1:46 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

On the union side, I agree completely that the Dem's have completely turned their backs on them.  When Biden rides off into the sunset I'm not sure if there are really any Dem's left that care about the blue collar workers.

It's quite likely the "Blue Wall" has been broken down for at least a generation.

If you think I'm wrong, take a look at the people vying to lead the DNC.  They're all arguing over how racist they can be against white people. 

As long as Republicans continue to push for right to work laws, Democrats will keep the support of unions.

There's no question there's been a long history of Republicans going at it with Unions, but the Unions have been evolving as well as the Republicans.  Most blue collar workers fit very well into the conservative footprint of social and fiscal conservatism, but the labor laws were enough to keep them away.
Unfortunately the Dem's have done as much or worse to the Unions with the globalization push so the labor law negative doesn't have near the teeth it used to have and these same workers are falling back on the other conservative principles they hold dear.

Obvoiusly they came out in big numbers for Trump and his anti-globalization message.  I will be curious how it translates into other candidates in the future. 

Trump might have gotten blue collar support, but he did not get union support. Three unions endorsed him; police, border patrol, and immigration/customs. 42 unions endorsed Hillary. She got the electricians, teamsters, carpenters, laborers, operators, steelworkers, teachers...the list goes on and on.

She didn't get the rank and file......at least not nearly enough.  You know this.

I won't argue that. She lost a lot of traditionally loyal support. What can I say, she wasn't a very good candidate. lol. But Tony said the Dems are losing the unions. That it's likely the blue wall has been broken down for at least a generation. They're not and it isn't. Not as long as right to work laws are part of the GOP platform. 

I can't find exit polling on how union households voted in our governor's race. But I'd be willing to bet a beer that they overwhelming voted against Greitens and his right to work pledge. 

There's a very distinct difference between Union Leadership and Union Members.  I was referring to Union Members.
I wish we could both find the numbers but I'm not sure if they have a breakdown other than in pre-election polling which we all know wasn't so hot.

I think there's a bit of a populist movement even within the Union organizations because the Union leadership is about as corrupt as the globalist politicians in many cases.  

Here's the numbers (union exit polling) from the presidential election. Hillary won the union vote, but by a much smaller margin than usual. But again, that's a single presidential election with a very flawed candidate. And Trump has butted heads with Republicans almost as much as he has Democrats. He's not exactly the GOP establishment, remember? Don't take these election results as a sign that union members are now flocking to the GOP party.

2017-01-26 2:01 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

You could be right....I know it was contentious.  I've ever been in a Union so I don't know much about right to work issues.

I'm not union either, and quite frankly unions are a huge pain in my a$$. But I spend a lot of time on construction sites, and my personal experience is that every card-carrying union member I know hates right to work. They're afraid that it will undermine their union's strength, allow non-union workers to steal their jobs, and ultimately lead to lower wages. So they vote Democrat to protect their paycheck. No idea if they're right or wrong, that's just what they tell me. And as long as they believe that, Republicans won't be winning the union vote. 

2017-01-26 3:39 PM
in reply to: Bob Loblaw

User image

Pro
Tejas
I'm a Teamster that lives in a right to work state. I recall back in 2008, the IBT came out full bore, behind bho and told us it was in our best interests to support him. I asked my business agent to give me specific reasons the union took this stance and why they felt we should endorse him a group. I also asked him to address some of the unanswered questions I had regarding this young candidate.His answer was that he didn't have all of the 'talking points' yet, but promised to get back with me. I never heard back. I called and left several messages, but still no talking points.

I was also advised by my then local president to muddy the republican primaries and vote for the weaker GOP candidate. This union official's reasoning was that he knew full well that there wasn't a possibility of getting a democrat in local government, but if we could at least make it look like there was more support for the weaker candidate, they might actually get a weaker candidate elected. Political douchebaggery. I advised him that I would report him. We never discussed politics again.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Trump steeling (sic) unions! Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Trump news conference

Started by Left Brain
Views: 710 Posts: 5

2017-01-12 8:43 AM Rogillio

Pics of trump grabbing several ******s

Started by mdg2003
Views: 825 Posts: 3

2016-10-12 11:39 AM tuwood