General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Geneva Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lake Geneva Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Fontana, Wisconsin
United States
Lake Geneva Extreme Sports
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 47m 8s
Overall Rank = 76/446
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 17/80
Pre-race routine:

4am wakup..Bagel/cliff bar. Started on 300cal+caffeine bottle of infinit.
Got to transition at 5am..set up...Realized im really COLD!! Looked and walked around a bit..bought some coffee to warm up..About 5:40 or so..put on running shoes and warmed up a bit..8-10 min or so...This was the first time doing any real warm up besides swimming. Right glute was hurting a little but definitley got rid of the chills. Then decided to dark to ride bike. Put wetsuit on...This led to the extremely long game of WHEN DO WE START...There was still a huge line to get into transition area it was obvious there was going to be a delay. Eventually got into water to warm up...told there was even more of a delay. Now the caffeine of the am was kicking in..(coffee and my finished infinit).Ran to the portapotty.
Then they start the olympic waves...
Event warmup:

As stated a run...which ill do again. Swimming...4-5 x out a bit and back.
Then shivering for about 15 minutes till my wave start.
Swim
  • 25m 24s
  • 1448 meters
  • 01m 45s / 100 meters
Comments:

Great start..100 or so in my wave..Only 1 person ahead of me after first 10-15 seconds. Tried to draft but they were too fast. Then after a few minutes ended up with the next wave..Made sighting more difficult..We had 2 little white bouys for our turnaround point...and all of us were wearing white caps..Hmmm.
What would you do differently?:

Not much.
Transition 1
  • 02m 23s
Comments:

about a minute faster than last year. Still trouble with right ankle getting suit off and getting socks on could have been quicker.
Bike
  • 1h 25m 59s
  • 26.9 miles
  • 18.77 mile/hr
Comments:

This is my weak link...The bike computer had my avg at 18.9--only improved by 1/2 mph from last year...The hills (rolling though they are) just kill me. Need to spend more time on bike.

Need more time on bike
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

Overall t2 time pretty quick. Overan my slot though..lost a few seconds no big deal
Run
  • 52m 4s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

Decent improvement from last year (took off about 4 min). I knew what to expect so it was mentally better (especially that last hill) They 7:19 mile was on the one flat part of the run course.

More hill training, learn to take in water while running.
Post race
Warm down:

none..met up with family..Ran in with madison again for the last stretch.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall, pretty good race. For the first time i wasn't scared about blowing up on the course. Having done the distance and the hills on the run before, I didnt fear not finishing. I was actually able to push myself harder than in other races. Time was slower but pace on run and bike were quicker and the swim was longer than last year. No cramps this time on swim to bike transition. Need to train more on the bike and probably could have pushed a little harder on it...The bike run transition still has not been that hard (luckily)

Event comments:

Beautiful race, poor organization. Its the location and the weekend at the abbey with the kids that make it a blast.

Last updated: 2006-06-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:24 | 1448 meters | 01m 45s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/80
Overall: 19/446
Performance: Good
Suit: QR quickjohn (armless, but with legs)
Course: Out and back. I thing the distance was accurate (more so than last year)
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:23
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:25:59 | 26.9 miles | 18.77 mile/hr
Age Group: 44/80
Overall: 181/446
Performance: Below average
avg hr 150
Wind: Strong
Course: Loop with initial uphill segment (new) with a lot of rolling hills with some shorter steeper hills. Tough on the start with a decent uphill portion to start it out...Especially since the swim-bike transition is a lot harder for me. Took a gel about 30-40 min in....and finished up my infinit around the hour mark. Had it been hotter...would have needed both bottles. Felt better again at around 45-50 min mark...
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 80-
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:52:04 | 06.2 miles | 08m 24s  min/mile
Age Group: 27/80
Overall: 128/446
Performance: Good
mile 1 8:25 hr 160 mile 2 9:15 160 mile 3 8:12 159 mile 4 7:19 160 mile 5 8:40 164 mile 6.2 10:15 HRM fell off
Course: 1 loop, a lot of hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-09-10 9:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago and therabouts
Subject: Lake Geneva Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2006-09-10 9:52 PM
in reply to: #535899

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL
Subject: RE: Lake Geneva Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Nice race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Geneva Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed