General Discussion Race Reports! » Wasaga Beach Triathlon/Duathlon & Give-It-A-Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Wasaga Beach Triathlon/Duathlon & Give-It-A-Tri - DuathlonStandard

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Wasaga Beach, Ontario
Canada
HSBC Multisport Canada Triathlon Series
14C / 57F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 23m 36s
Overall Rank = 188/356
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 30/32
Pre-race routine:

The weather has been abnormally cool and rainy lately due to the lefover effect of hurricane Ernesto. It was miserable and cold on the ride up to the event and when I saw how rough the waters were I was really getting quite nervous about the swim portion of the triathlon.

About 45 minutes before the event start, the organizers call the swim portion off due to safety concerns (good call) and change the Sprint Tri to a Sprint Du. I was disappointed, since I really love the swim-bike-run combination but at the same time I was relieved not only due to the safety issue but also because over the past week and a half I haven't had a chance to do much training due to moving homes.

After setting up my transition area, I rode the bike slowly through the transition area to change gears. There were barely any participats there at this point and I had forgotten about the "no riding in the transition zone" rule and was politely reminded that this was a no no. In fact, one participant reminded me that I could have been tossed out of the event for breaking that rule. Noted, and won't happen again.

Event warmup:

Quick little 2km run to warm up the legs.
Run
  • 26m 11s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 14s  min/km
Comments:

The run portion was pretty good but running in the sand for the first 500m was really tough. Can't say I liked it much.
Transition 1
  • 02m 35s
What would you do differently?:

I futz with my bike shoes way too much. They're the typical shoe with three straps. I really should look at changing to a proper Tri shoe so that I can speed up the shoe change and maybe try the clipped-in barefoot run thing.
Bike
  • 40m 46s
  • 20 kms
  • 29.44 km/hr
Comments:

The ride out was mostly flat but punctuated by a couple of slow climbs and and a bit of headwind. Luckily, all of this worked to our advantage on the way back in when the wind was at our back and the hills slopped down.
What would you do differently?:

Though my average speed was good I still feel like I am not producing enough power on the bike. Okay, I haven't really been biking a lot lately (well, hardly anything) since my 600km ride to Montreal. I know I can do the 100km+ distances, I just need to work on getting some power and move my average speed up.
Transition 2
  • 02m 24s
Comments:

I fumbled racking the bike and my helmet and glasses fell off. Just being clutzy I guess.
Run
  • 11m 42s
  • 2.5 kms
  • 04m 41s  min/km
Comments:

This second run was much tougher than the first run and I felt like my pace was much slower. It was quite a surprise to see that it was not. Odd.
Post race
Warm down:

No warm-down was required as the weather was pretty damn cold :)

Event comments:

This is my 4th and last race of the season. While I wished that it would have been a triathlon instead of a duathlon it was interesting to try a Du and I was happy to see that my run pace improved yet again.

Last updated: 2006-04-09 12:00 AM
Running
00:26:11 | 05 kms | 05m 14s  min/km
Age Group: 31/32
Overall: 236/356
Performance: Good
Course: Looped course that took place on the sand, wooden boardwalk and paved roadway. Talk about a variety of terrain.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 02:35
Overall: Below average
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Below average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
00:40:46 | 20 kms | 29.44 km/hr
Age Group: 27/32
Overall: 227/356
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Looped course with a good mix of flat and rolling hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 100
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:24
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:11:42 | 02.5 kms | 04m 41s  min/km
Age Group: 28/32
Overall: 176/356
Performance: Average
Course: This was the same out and back run as used for the first 5K. I didn't like running on the sand this time either :)
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-09-11 2:32 PM

User image

Expert
Toronto
Subject: Wasaga Beach Triathlon/Duathlon & Give-It-A-Tri

2006-09-11 3:03 PM
in reply to: #536728

Master
Subject: RE: Wasaga Beach Triathlon/Duathlon & Give-It-A-Tri
At least you were having fun at "the beach"!
2006-09-12 12:33 PM
in reply to: #536728

User image

Extreme Veteran
Guelph
Subject: RE: Wasaga Beach Triathlon/Duathlon & Give-It-A-Tri
Nice race report, good detail, i missed the awards presentation afterwards was changing into warm clothes and eating!!! Then my son was starting his Give it a try so I was off there to cheer and photo by the time I got back to the transition area it was a ghost town. Good results especially for the first year! Look forward to racing against you in a real Sprint Tri Laughingnext season
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wasaga Beach Triathlon/Duathlon & Give-It-A-Tri Rss Feed