General Discussion Race Reports! » Historic McKinney Kiwanis Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Historic McKinney Kiwanis Sprint Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
McKinney, Texas
United States
Playtri
52F / 11C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 25m 33s
Overall Rank = 113/199
Age Group = M55-59
Age Group Rank = 9/12
Pre-race routine:

Up about 4:30, ate a couple of pieces of toast then aired up the bike tires. Hit the head a couple of times...success!! Easy day what with race site less than a half hour away.
Event warmup:

No warm-up. Got set up then went to J3s spot and helped him get set up and oriented. He was ready to go but a little nervous.
Swim
  • 07m 42s
  • 300 yards
  • 02m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

Bit of a chaotic free for all, what with all of us going down and back in each lane. Made for a lot of touching and feeling of feet and aborted attempts to pass with swimmers in all directions. By the time they got to me T he race directors were allowing more room between swimmers to open things up some. I guess it helped a little but it was still pretty frothy out there, got me breathing heavier than I did in the previous two races. I was slowed some by swimmers in front of me...good to know I can outpace a few people. I even beat the 20th percentile!
What would you do differently?:

This was a pretty good swim for me and I handled the tangle of arms, legs, and feet pretty well. Don't know that I could've done anything differently.
Transition 1
  • 02m 21s
Comments:

108 out of 199. Roughly mid-pack, so OK. Need to figure a way to move a little quicker in T1.

I took time to put on a bike fleece which cost me time. Didn't actually need it so that was a waste of however long it took.
Bike
  • 44m 7s
  • 12.65 miles
  • 17.20 mile/hr
Comments:

I wasn't happy with my bike leg, felt like I should've done better. But given an AP/NP of 159/170, the effort level was certainly there, maybe even slightly higher than expected. I guess I just wanted better results for that effort.

Not sure. With power data reflecting what I wanted and expected, I don't know what I might've done differently. Maybe improved bike handling skills.
Transition 2
  • 01m 47s
Comments:

141 out of 199. Surprised at how far into the pack this was since I felt like I moved pretty efficiently and with economy. I was already out of my bike shoes and my running shoes were on quickly. I even jogged out. I did have to take off the bike fleece and I did grab a swig of water, so those cost some time but hard to imagine it would cost so much.

Don't add any clothing in T1, since I'll have to take it off in T2.
Run
  • 29m 39s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

Solid run. My plan was to maintain a consistent, do-able pace with slower jogging breaks every six minutes. Fifteen minutes in I was going to do two minutes at a harder pace, followed by a minute jogging, and repeat until the end. That worked nicely, as I broke 30 minutes for the run, always a milestone. Walked briefly through the first of two water stops, didn't stop at the second.

Nothing; good run, happy with it.
Post race
Warm down:

Just walked around, hung with TSW and J3 yakking about the race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Crowds in the pool on the swim, which I can't do much about, and wind and some hills on the bike. Also slowed down on the "twitchy" parts of the bike course, so that didn't help.

Event comments:

Pretty good race, better than expected. Crowd was more comparable to what I'm used to. Pretty competitive and athletic group too, certainly more than in first two races. Ice job by the Playtri team. While I'm not crazy about the pool swim in this event, I'd do the race again.

Last updated: 2017-04-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:42 | 300 yards | 02m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 157/199
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Pool snake swim, going down AND back in the SAME 25-yard lane, for a total of 300 yards.
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:21
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:44:07 | 12.65 miles | 17.20 mile/hr
Overall: 97/199
NP came in at 170, which is higher than I expected. Good to see I was able to keep that effort level.
Wind: Some
Course: One loop course that ran through a mixture of town, suburban, industrial and rural areas. Mostly the roads were great but some of the rural sections, while not necessarily rough, were somewhat technically challenging. A few minor hills, one longish slope between miles 9-10.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:47
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:29:39 | 03.1 miles | 09m 34s  min/mile
Overall: 126/199
Performance: Good
Course: Started on grass then moved to running trails then wound through a neighborhood on various streets. Couple of hilly sections in a local park.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2017-04-28 11:35 PM

Subject: Historic McKinney Kiwanis Sprint Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Historic McKinney Kiwanis Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Wawasee Kiwanis Triathlon

Started by Matterhorns
Views: 694 Posts: 1

2016-08-13 1:58 PM Matterhorns

New England Season Opener Sprint Triathlon 2016

Started by Fourteenkittens
Views: 1174 Posts: 3

2016-05-17 7:53 AM jmhpsu93

Jekyll Island Turtle Crawl Sprint Triathlon

Started by navybeaver
Views: 1425 Posts: 2