Age Group Rank = 3/6
Event warmup:

.5 mile ez run, 1.5 mile ez bike, 100y ez swim
Swim
  • 4h 19m
  • 300 meters
  • 1h 26m 20s / 100 meters
Comments:

First in, first out. 2nd fastest swim time of day by .7 seconds. First swim in BlueSeventy tri top; very snug when dry but felt just a little loose in the water.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe went just a touch too hard. HR felt a little high getting onto the bike.
Transition 1
  • 00m 44s
Comments:

Decent T1 for not having shoes pre-clipped to bike. Competitive time in age group (only 2 seconds slower than fastest). Mounted without stopping momentum, clipped in relatively easily.

Smaller towel for quick drying hair and face.
Bike
  • 41m 3s
  • 12.5 miles
  • 18.27 mile/hr
Comments:

Water bottle wasn't quite full, actually ran out. A little saddle discomfort on the back half; lost a some pedal time fidgitting, trying to get comfortable. Tried to eat a gel at the 8 mile mark, mostly just made a mess and cost me time. On the way back, into the wind, there were times when I felt like I was in the "hole," gear-wise; couldn't find a gear where I could hold a comfortable cadence without cross-chaining one way or the other. Overall, I think I gave the bike about everything I had without ruining my run.

Water bottle full, maybe liquid nutrition instead of a gel. Lost a lot of places on the bike, need more training. In the meantime, maybe I could mitigate the losses some with better tires and some latex tubes?
Transition 2
  • 00m 38s
Comments:

Executed a decent flying dismount, came into T2 with no loss of momentum. Running shole LockLace malfunctioned; one lace end came loose from the cord end clip while cinching, and contracted back through the cord lock. Had to hand tie a bow knot. Luckily, it held. Decent enough T2; fastest in age group.

Lost some time to shoelace issue, otherwise didn't notice any glaring errors that need corrected.
Run
  • 22m 5s
  • 2.84 miles
  • 07m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

Consistent pacing first 2 miles, opened up just a bit to finish slightly faster on last .8 miles.

Press the pace a little sooner than the ~2.2 mile mark. Not sure if I could have gone under 7:30/mile average for the whole thing, but I know I'll never get there going 7:50's or high 7:40's for the first 2 miles. May have to press one of these until I blow up to know where the limit is.
Post race
Warm down:

Easy walking around, showered.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of bike training, mostly.

Event comments:

Hate that "Organization" question above is either yes or no. This race had a few organizational lapses, but wasn't some sort of complete, unorganized mess. The race started on time, but the briefing that was scheduled for 8:15 didn't happen until ~8:40. Not a big issue, except I had planned my warm up around the 8;15 time. Also, traffic control crew at the busiest intersection on the bike route wasn't ready when I, the lead biker at the time, got there. I had to come to a sudden stop, wait for cross traffic, and then try to get going again while in too high a gear.

Post-race food was a pile of bananas, a few apples, and some bottled water. That said, the entry fee was pretty modest so don't take that as a complaint.; exactly how much coddling can you expect when the race director is only collecting $60 a head?

No finisher medals, but nice medals for 1-3rd in age group, plus T-shirts, even with week-of-race entry.

Despite some flaws, I still felt like the race was a good value and would likely do it again.

Last updated: 2017-06-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
04:19:00 | 300 meters | 1h 26m 20s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/6
Overall: 2/48
Performance: Average
Suit: Blue Seventy tri top, Canari tri shorts
Course: M-shaped route around 3 buoys in large, free-from pool with zero-depth entry at one end. Advertised at 300M, but best guestimate of actual swim distance is 250y. About a 100y run to T1.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:44
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:41:03 | 12.5 miles | 18.27 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/6
Overall: 11/48
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Out & back, mostly on flat, unprotected, N/S country road. Wind from the SSW, started moderate (~9mph), grew in intensity to 12-13mph plus gusts.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:38
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:22:05 | 02.84 miles | 07m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/6
Overall: 9/48
Performance: Good
Course: Advertised at 3.0 miles, most seem to measure it in the low 2.8's. Lap around park, then mostly an East/West out and back on city streets with mix of sun/shade.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes