Other Resources My Cup of Joe » 2017 Summer Reading Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2017-06-19 12:20 PM

User image

Subject: 2017 Summer Reading
You guys always recommend some good titles. What are you reading now, or what are you hoping to get to this summer?

Right now I'm a little over half way through The Billion Dollar Spy by David Hoffman. So far its been a well-paced, interesting true story that hits the mark between story telling & history.

2017-06-19 1:36 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: 2017 Summer Reading

If you enjoy biographies, I just finished Diana Nyad's book, 'Find a Way'.  Very interesting to learn more about her Cuba to US attempts and her life story.  I'd recommend it.

I just started Missy Franklin's 'Relentless Spirit: The Unconventional Raising of a Champion' which so far is a bit too fluffy for my taste.  I'll finish it (I'm no quitter!) but not necessarily recommend it.

I also enjoy psychological thrillers and have liked all of Mark Edwards' books including his collaborations with Louise Voss.  'The Magpies' was especially creepy/interesting because it was based off a situation that he experienced in his personal life.  Robert Bryndza writes psych thrillers, too, and they've been good.

Edited by melbo55 2017-06-19 1:38 PM
2017-07-06 10:41 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
I need to get some of those thrillers and the biographies mentioned. For non-fiction, we gravitate towards financial books or planning for retirement. I have recently downloaded "University of Berkshire Hathaway" but haven't started it. Also got "Becoming Odyssa" about hiking the Appalachian trail; hoping it will be along the lines of "Wild". Anybody read either?

In the last month, I've enjoyed the thrillers and/or mysteries, "The Girl Before", "The River at Night", "Behind Closed Doors", "The Couple Next Door". I liked "The Dry" also. Currently reading "Wish You Well" and LOVE it thus far; a departure from Baldacci's typical style and absolutely beautifully written. And I love Liane Moriaty's book but her last one was not my favorite. I have a tendency to find books from Reese Witherspoon's list and have liked most of them.
2017-07-06 8:48 PM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

Master
TORONTO

Originally posted by Pink Socks  I have recently downloaded "University of Berkshire Hathaway" but haven't started it. Also got "Becoming Odyssa" about hiking the Appalachian trail; hoping it will be along the lines of "Wild". Anybody read either?  

Haven't read those but listened to "I Hike" which may be of interest.

2017-07-06 8:56 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
TORONTO

Originally posted by melbo55

If you enjoy biographies, I just finished Diana Nyad's book, 'Find a Way'.  Very interesting to learn more about her Cuba to US attempts and her life story.  I'd recommend it.

I enjoyed that book too.  Just finished Dean Karnazes' Book "Return to Sparta" which makes me want to go to Greece.   Listening to "Running Man" by Charlie Engle and enjoying it.  

I listened to the Ken Follett's Century Trilogy and LOVED IT!!  Would love a recommendation along the lines of those books.  I have never read/listened to any of his other books.  

2017-07-09 12:17 PM
in reply to: kimmax

User image

Originally posted by kimmax

I listened to the Ken Follett's Century Trilogy and LOVED IT!!  Would love a recommendation along the lines of those books.  I have never read/listened to any of his other books.

I'm a Follett fan & don't really think you can go wrong with any of his no matter the subject matter or setting. I would think Pillars of the Earth is probably at the top of the essential Follett reading list.

If it's the historical fiction aspect of the Century Trilogy that you enjoyed, a few authors immediately pop into my mind:
-Edward Rutherford. I've enjoyed Paris, New York, and London. I plan on working his other novels into my reading queue from time to time.
-John Jakes did the multi-book, generational family epic twice. It's been a long time since I read them, but at the time I really enjoyed his Kent Family Chronicles (starts around the Revolutionary War) and North & South Trilogy (Civil War).
-There's always anything from Michener and Leon Uris.

2017-07-10 12:34 PM
in reply to: Boilermaker

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Has anyone read anything by Steve Berry? I'm currently reading The Jefferson Key which is referencing some American history. I'm having a hard time keeping up with all of the characters but enjoying the story. I think that most of his books have some history embedded in them but this is the first of his that I have read.

Also, as for historical based, Max Allan Collins has a different style. I read only one of the Disaster series but think I'll find some more. And Flying Blind, which was very fictional re Amelia Earhart, was very interesting to me.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » 2017 Summer Reading Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Summer Reading

Started by Pink Socks
Views: 1468 Posts: 16

2016-08-04 5:26 AM Hot Runner