General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pre-Race bike maintenance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-07-05 2:09 PM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Subject: Pre-Race bike maintenance
"A" race of the year is in Oct.

Bike is a 2015 (16?) P2. Only things I've done have been added components to make racing easier (hydration, storage, etc...).

I'm mainly interested in the timing of changing tubes/tires and whether or not I should have the BB serviced or not. At what point is it a good idea to replace cables? I will put on a new chain and cassette (OK,....I'll have them put on). Just curious how you would handle this. Bike will be 2 yrs old prior to race day. Other than the above, I've done nothing to it (except upgrade tires and wheels).

Thanks.

2017-07-05 2:49 PM
in reply to: nc452010

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Subject: RE: Pre-Race bike maintenance
And.......the armrest pads are shredding and should be replaced. Are these "one-size-fits-all"?

Any brand better than the next? Never ordered a pair.
2017-07-05 3:09 PM

User image

Bottom brackets and headsets on modern bikes are not meant to be "serviced"; rather replaced when they wear out. You will most likely have moved on to your next bike way before your BB and headset wear out though. They have sealed cartridge bearings that are designed to keep water and dirt away from the bearings. As long as you keep your bike relatively clean and dry, they are very low maintenance and should easily last 10,000+ miles.

I perform an annual service on my bikes where I clean my headset and bottom bracket and regrease the cartridges but I know plenty of riders that don't even do that and have been riding their bikes for 5000+ miles without an issue.

As far as some of the other maintenance items:

Chain - when my chain tool measures .75 stretch...I find that this is about 4000 miles
Cassette - I use Ultegra and my current one is on it's 2nd chain...I'll replace the cassette next time I replace the chain, so at least 8000 miles
Cables - I usually replace cables annually when I overhaul my bike (strip it down to the frame and clean and lube everything)
Tires - depends on the tires but I use Continental GP4000 II and get 2000+ miles on them
Tubes - replace when flat

Hope this helps...
-john
2017-07-05 4:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Originally posted by nc452010

And.......the armrest pads are shredding and should be replaced. Are these "one-size-fits-all"?

Any brand better than the next? Never ordered a pair.

I have often seen the brand CeeGees suggested here on BT as replacements...

2017-07-05 9:33 PM

Originally posted by nc452010

"A" race of the year is in Oct.

Bike is a 2015 (16?) P2. Only things I've done have been added components to make racing easier (hydration, storage, etc...).

I'm mainly interested in the timing of changing tubes/tires and whether or not I should have the BB serviced or not. At what point is it a good idea to replace cables? I will put on a new chain and cassette (OK,....I'll have them put on). Just curious how you would handle this. Bike will be 2 yrs old prior to race day. Other than the above, I've done nothing to it (except upgrade tires and wheels).

Thanks.

Conti's have a small hole in the tread. When the hole is nearly gone. . . new tire. Take the bike into the bike shop and they can tell you if anything is needed. I wouldn't replace the cassette unless you're having skipping issues or the shop says it's worn. Chains, sure go for it, never hurts. I go through quite a few chains each season now that I'm just riding. Someone quoted a mileage number. . . it's quite dependent on how much power you're putting through the bike and how well you maintain it. If the shop says replace, then replace. Basically, the shop is like your wife. Just do what they tell you to do.
2017-07-06 4:00 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Originally posted by ziggie204
Originally posted by nc452010 "A" race of the year is in Oct. Bike is a 2015 (16?) P2. Only things I've done have been added components to make racing easier (hydration, storage, etc...). I'm mainly interested in the timing of changing tubes/tires and whether or not I should have the BB serviced or not. At what point is it a good idea to replace cables? I will put on a new chain and cassette (OK,....I'll have them put on). Just curious how you would handle this. Bike will be 2 yrs old prior to race day. Other than the above, I've done nothing to it (except upgrade tires and wheels). Thanks.
Conti's have a small hole in the tread. When the hole is nearly gone. . . new tire. Take the bike into the bike shop and they can tell you if anything is needed. I wouldn't replace the cassette unless you're having skipping issues or the shop says it's worn. Chains, sure go for it, never hurts. I go through quite a few chains each season now that I'm just riding. Someone quoted a mileage number. . . it's quite dependent on how much power you're putting through the bike and how well you maintain it. If the shop says replace, then replace. Basically, the shop is like your wife. Just do what they tell you to do.

For general use, you can use the wear indicator on the tire to see when it's time to replace.  For an A race, I'm using fresh rubber, or something that has less than 400 miles on it.  This assuming your goal is to have the fastest tire with the most possible grip.

Always use a chain checker to monitor chain wear.  If you wait till your chain is skipping, your chain is way past the recommended wear level and you're already causing more wear on your chainrings and cassette by that time.  I would agree though that most people who ride often will go through multiple chains per year.  They are not meant to last forever, even if you upkeep them.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pre-Race bike maintenance Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bike Challenges Pre Race

Started by nickster
Views: 727 Posts: 2

2017-07-16 12:42 AM triosaurus

Winter Maintenance

Started by Ofpd0160
Views: 941 Posts: 4

2016-09-08 9:05 AM Porfirio

Bike Bottle Cages for Race Bottled Water