General Discussion Race Reports! » The Warwick Triathlon Ragged Staff Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

The Warwick Triathlon Ragged Staff - TriathlonMini Sprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Warwick, England
United Kingdom
Trafeco UK
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 22/32
Age Group = 20-39
Age Group Rank = 12/17
Pre-race routine:

Er, work out how to put my front wheel back on my bike and get it in the middle. Needless to say, this didn't look enormously professional at the time...
Event warmup:

Stretched a bit, and went to the loo about 3 million times!
Swim
  • 05m 13s
  • 200 meters
  • 02m 37s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was a bit bad, really. I went fine, and enjoyed it, but didn't realise that I was so SLOW until I saw others!
Also struggled to get out of the pool, as I was in a middle lane, and couldn't get a grip on the side with my toe! So, that cost me a wee bit of time.
What would you do differently?:

Get into a proper rhythm, and not worry about looking so silly.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Not sure about this time-wise, but it took me far too long. A work colleague who (by his own admission) used to be some sort of tri-god, gave me some advice, about swapping shirts between the swim and bike, to avoid any windchill factor. Both shirts got stuck, and took AAAGES to get off and on.

Get on my bike and rock off straight away, no faffing around with additional shirts, unless it's a zip-up, and then it'll go on over my tri-suit, which I am definitely going to buy.
Bike
  • 22m 54s
  • 5.9 miles
  • 15.46 mile/hr
Comments:

This was great fun. I think the time includes both transitions actually, now I think about it! I said thank you to every volunteer as I went past- they did an awesome job.
It turns out that cycling is my strong suit, so far. I didn't know that, and possibly wouldn't have believed it, had I not seen my ranking in the field of 32, compared to my swim and run ranks, which I am far too embarassed to publish!

Get cracking quicker, and give it a bit more on the way round. I was being a little too cautious, as I didn't really have a physical concept of the distance, and how long it would take me.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

No idea of time for this. The attendant had to help me rack my bike, because the guys either side of me had racked their bikes in a hurry, and hadn't left me any room, the meanies!
The attendant shouted at me to hook my bike with the brake hoods and he'd sort it out, which was nice of him!

Practice jumping off my bike and getting running in a more fluid manner, not coming to a dead halt and then nearly overbalancing because I was all enthusiasm and no technique!!
Run
  • 14m 36s
  • 1.55 miles
  • 09m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

I went FAR too slowly on this, I feel certain that I could have gone quicker, but I didn't want to be so burnt out that I couldn't run at all. Decided that a sprint finish was in order, so produced one, which made everyone laugh, which was great, because I was certainly aiming for comedy value!

Probably go a bit harder in the middle of the run when the dead legs start to get better. I think there was more in the tank, but I didn't really know how to use it properly.
Post race
Warm down:

Er, victory dance on finish line, shower followed by bacon buttie and coffee.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Toooooooo faaaaaaaaaat!!!! Gotta sort this out, that's for sure!

Event comments:

This is my only one! It wasn't hugely well-attended, I think it might be the first one?
I have nothing to judge against, but I loved it, and I sent the organisers an email yesterday, saying how much I'd enjoyed it, and passing on my thanks to all who'd worked to make it happen. I think that kind of email to organisers should be a part of the rules of competition. Too many people make demands, and too few say thanks. I'm hooked on this, and have turned into a "and I can shave 10 seconds off there, and 5 off there" nerd already! Ah, poor Gary (partner)!!

Last updated: 2006-09-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:13 | 200 meters | 02m 37s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/17
Overall: 0/32
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: In the pool, just up and back, 8 laps in total.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:22:54 | 05.9 miles | 15.46 mile/hr
Overall: 13/32
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Good
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:14:36 | 01.55 miles | 09m 25s  min/mile
Overall: 0/32
Performance: Average
Course: Around fields at the school where the tri was held, along a road, and then back in to the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-09-12 1:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Auckland, NZ
Subject: The Warwick Triathlon Ragged Staff

2006-09-12 7:43 PM
in reply to: #538087

User image

Veteran
Northern Minnesota
Subject: RE: The Warwick Triathlon Ragged Staff
Great job.  I bet you never forget one single step.
2006-09-21 4:02 PM

Pro
Niiiiiice! I'm glad you drew my attention to this.

It was a great first race, and don't worry about those little things like how long it takes to change your shirt, consider that I did my fifth last weekend and I made huge mistakes. It's all part of learning. It's probably the only sport where changing outfits is part of it!

Anyhow, way to go, you did very well!
2006-09-22 7:26 AM

User image

Runner
Comedic value is ALWAYS key at the finish. If I can't win (which I never do), I try to at least make 'em laugh.

One question, though....

What in all that is holy is a "bacon buttie"?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Warwick Triathlon Ragged Staff Rss Feed