General Discussion Race Reports! » Garden State SwimRun Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Garden State SwimRun - Biathlon (swim/run)

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Randolph, New Jersey
United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 38m 52s
Overall Rank = 13/38
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 3/4
Pre-race routine:

Got up, chatted with my parents, played with the puppy, foam rolled a bit. Ate a Clif bar and had a bottle full of water and an electrolyte power pak before the race.
Event warmup:

None, other than a few quick jogs trying to figure out where I could shove my paddles while running.
Swim
  • 30m 37s
  • 1851 yards
  • 01m 39s / 100 yards
Comments:

All of the swim stages went very well. The lakes were calm, clean, and even somewhat clear. I didn't seem to be taking the lines that most people did, but I don't think I was extremely off-course - it seemed like I was pulling to the left a bit, but it did help me get out of the way of a lot of people and in some cases, I think my line was more efficient. During the first swim, I lost a bit of time toward the beginning when I realized my top was zipped down. I felt it flapping around a bit, so I stopped and zipped it (with difficulty, since I was wearing paddles). I did the best on swims 3 and 4, because I consciously picked up my cadence. There were a few people I felt I could catch, so I picked it up as best I could. The stats indicate I made a decent increase. My shoulders were definitely tiring because of it, but I felt much stronger than last year.
What would you do differently?:

Swim ranks were 6 on the first two and 4 on the last two. There's no reason for me not to pick up the pace on the swims from the beginning. If I work even more on my arm strength next year, I'll be prepared for it. I was in pretty good shape for this as it was.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Run
  • 1h 08m 15s
  • 5.5 miles
  • 12m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

I did a good job with most of the runs. I started out very slow and easy through the first two runs. Both went fine, though on the second run I fell when jumping through a small stream we had to cross (I thought it was deeper than it was). The third run was the hard one. I was prepared for the first hill, but still had trouble with it. It's quite steep as soon as you turn into the woods. I ran up a lot of it, but walked on the steepest part to try and keep my HR down. I was able to regroup and start to run again, passing two women who had passed me right out of the lake (I dropped my paddles THREE times - they wouldn't stay down the back of my shorts like they did on the first two runs - before just carrying them). I did a good job of keeping it slow and steady up the remaining inclines. I also did well with the roots, rocks and logs that had to be avoided. I think they cleared some off of the trail since last year, which helped, but I also think I'm just stronger, so I was less tired and disoriented by the time I got to that point and could do a better job of placing my feet. Two guys had caught up to me just before the really tricky part and I let them go ahead, but I ended up being able to keep up with them through the end of that segment. The fourth run started with an awful uphill, sandy swim exit, and then a really steep uphill in the woods (not the power line section from last year, but the same hill right to the side of it). I walked up to keep control of my HR and then got back to running. This segment wasn't as tricky - wider paths and more gentle terrain, despite a lot of fist-sized rocks covering one wide trail. I managed it pretty well and actually moved up the rankings a bit. I felt good through the end - it was hard, but I wasn't completely destroyed by it. While it is definitely tricky to increase my pace on the rough, technical terrain, there were some parts of the race where I could definitely have gone faster. Next year, I'll have to exploit those points.
What would you do differently?:

My run ranks were 31/16/16/14. While I didn't want to kill myself going out, I think I held back much more than I needed to. I could afford to take it a little faster on that first run in order to stay closer to the pack I'm going to finish with. The same goes for the second run, which was very flat. I set myself back so I had to play catch-up the whole rest of the race (though I didn't know it at the time).
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit. Not much of a warm down, really, because we had to get back to Rutherford for a busy day.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My own caution. The course was really tough for me last year. Since I knew what was coming, I was extra-cautious on the early segments. I ended up being better able to handle the tough parts because I'm in better shape, so I didn't need to hold back as much as I did. Next year, I go after it.

Event comments:

This is a really cool race in a gorgeous location. If only more people signed up, they'd probably have the means to do a better job with the post-race activities!

Last updated: 2016-11-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:37 | 1851 yards | 01m 39s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/4
Overall: 5/38
Performance: Good
Suit: zoot tri top and shorts
Course: Four point-to-point swims across two lakes.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time:  00:00
Overall:
Removing cap, goggles and wetsuit:
Getting into shoes:
Running
01:08:15 | 05.5 miles | 12m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/4
Overall: 0/38
Performance: Good
Course: Four technical, hilly trail runs around the lakes plus up the beach and into the finishing chute.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes