United States
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 14m 38s
Overall Rank = 1466/1776
Age Group = F45-49
Age Group Rank = 74/98
Pre-race routine:

Leslie and I got up at 4am and had breakfast. I had bagel w/PB, a banana, and a caffeinated crystal lite. We had mostly gotten ready the night before so we were pretty much ready to roll. Dad drove us to the shuttle pick-up and we took the shuttle to the lake. We made a porta potty stop and then went to set up transition. We both wheeled our bikes over to the guys with the air hoses and had them pump the tires. That was really nice not to have to mess with the pumps and trying to get them right. Then we wandered over to look at the water. We used the flushing park bathrooms a few more times while we waited. I also had a pack of ShotBlocks and some water while we waited. I dropped my morning clothes bag just before 7.
Event warmup:

Nothing really. I ducked under the water and did just a few strokes while we waited for the gun. Several ladies were joking around just before the start so that was a nice distraction.
Swim
  • 47m 26s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 15s / 100 yards
Comments:

Race was wetsuit legal, but I chose to go without mine. Less to worry about and no wetsuit hickey!

Well, it was definitely crowded with a lot of contact in the beginning. I think I went out too fast because I had to backstroke about 50m to get my breathing under control. Other than that, the first 500m went pretty well. The buoys were easy to spot and I was fairly tight to the sighting buoys and the turn buoy. And then we turned DIRECTLY into the rising sun. I could not see anything! I just sort of tried to follow everyone else (but that was hard because the water was so murky). For awhile I just kept looking to make sure I was inside the kayakers. I could see the buoys when I went by them but could not see ahead of me at all. I finally got to the turn buoy. I was tight at that turn, but somehow seemed far away from the sighting buoys. Not sure how that happened.
What would you do differently?:

Have a strategy for dealing with the sun!
Transition 1
  • 05m 13s
Comments:

The timing mat was right as we came out of the water, but it was a long way into transition. I sort of jogged along the grass as far as I could and then cut over to my spot. It felt shorter than 5 minutes. I dried off my feet to make sure there were no rocks in my socks! Didn't take long to cinch up the T1 bag (especially since I wasn't trying to stuff a wetsuit in there).

Not much, maybe hurry a little more, but I can't see where I could've been much faster.
Bike
  • 3h 19m
  • 56 miles
  • 16.88 mile/hr
Comments:

I knew I wasn't going to have a good run, so I wasn't worried about saving my legs for the run. The first part was awful - the "test" pavement was really bumpy and the whole thing was climbing very gradually into the wind. My powerade bottle flew out and I stopped to pick it up because I was worried about abandonment. In hindsight, I shouldn't have done that. I selected smooth for pavement because the majority of it was, it was just that test pavement section and a little bit later on that was rough.

The ride got much better after we turned back toward T2. There were a few small climbs at the end but they were not a big deal.

For nutrition in my bento box, I had a whole pack of skittles, 2 cut up Honey Stinger wafers, and a pack of shot blocks (all loose in the box). I ate everything except there were some skittles left in the bottom at the end. I had water in one bottle and powerade in the other.

I was quite pleased with this ride.

Leave the dropped powerade behind and just take a bottle of Gatorade at the aid station. Or could put the powerade in a regular bike bottle or could put a bottle in my jersey pocket.
Transition 2
  • 04m 30s
Comments:

Having T2 on a football field made it easy to find my spot. I knew what yard line I was on and knew where to turn based on the bleacher signs. Really easy to find my spot. I tossed out my powerade bottle as I entered T2. I never touched the one I had waiting for me in T1 because it was so warm (and we weren't supposed to have anything sticky on the field).

Maybe hurry more.
Run
  • 2h 58m 32s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

Ugh! I knew this wouldn't be pretty and I was correct. I was planning to run/walk, but thought I would at least get to the first aid station. Nope - it was SO hot and no shade in the beginning. Then I tried running a set distance (0.5 mile, 0.25 mile). I had gotten to about mile 2 and was determined to try to run 0.25/walk 0.1 when met up with a woman from NYC who was also run/walking. I passed her while running and then she caught back up to me. She asked if I wanted to stay together. Saying yes was the best decision I made all day.

We ran/walked the entire rest of the way. She would pick a landmark for us to start running at and then choose another to end at. It would've been a really long day without her!

Plan out a run/walk strategy ahead of time. Also a handheld water bottle might have been helpful.
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the line and got a bottle of water, my medal, and a hat. Waited in line to get a picture with my medal. I got one with Toni as well. Then we walked over to the food tent and got a little bit to eat. (I just had chips and pasta salad). We sat under the tent in the shade resting for a little bit. Then she left and I went to find the parents and wait for Leslie.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training, heat.

Event comments:

This was a well organized race and I'm glad we chose this one. The point-to-point race made the logistics a touch more challenging, but it was well explained and in a way made things easier because there was less to worry about on race morning. I just need to train more next time!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2017-07-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:47:26 | 2112 yards | 02m 15s / 100yards
Age Group: 52/98
Overall: 1201/1776
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course: Lopsided triangle: ~500 m out, ~800 m long stretch, ~ 600 m back in
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:13
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:19:00 | 56 miles | 16.88 mile/hr
Age Group: 75/98
Overall: 1451/1776
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: See map
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:30
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:58:32 | 13.1 miles | 13m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 78/98
Overall: 1487/1776
Performance: Below average
Course: Lollipop - ~1.5 miles out to a loop that we did twice. I liked the layout of the course. Some hills and a fair amount of sun.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes