General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri shorts or bibshorts Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-09-18 9:13 AM

User image

Kingston Upon Thames, England
Subject: Tri shorts or bibshorts
Probably this question has come up before.....I currently train in bibshorts, I haven't entered my 1st triathlon yet and my main training goal is an Ironman end of June 2018! Should I be wearing tri shorts or bibshorts to train with? Or is this a personal choice, I mean tri shorts seem to have minimal pad protection but I have been thinking of changing to tri shorts so I can get use to minimal pad support in a race scenario and also I want to start running after a bike ride..........and I've always wondered what pros train in also?

2017-09-18 10:31 AM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Tri shorts or bibshorts

I trained exclusively in bib shorts and never had an issue in a race. I did check the race suit a bit before the event to make sure everything worked ok, but that's it.

Go ahead and try them if you need to see how things work out. If there is an issue, better to find it sooner than later. I just don't see the need if there isn't such an issue.

Edited by brigby1 2017-09-18 10:34 AM
2017-09-18 2:27 PM
in reply to: mortirolo

User image

Expert
Floriduh
A number of years ago I contacted aerotech designs in Pittsburgh and asked them if they could sew a triathlon pad into a set of bib shorts. They did this and these shorts have been part of my triathlon kit ever since.
2017-09-18 3:24 PM

User image

De soto makes tri bibs 

all i race in

2017-09-18 3:47 PM

User image

Aledo, Texas

I do most of my riding in bibs. I do try to get in a few longer rides in my tri shorts, and make sure to do any brick in my tri shorts. I think it's worth doing just so your junk knows what it feels like come race time.

2017-09-18 6:36 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

I trained in bibs, shorts, and suits, all tri related from Desoto and the same tri-pad material.  I raced in tri-suits.  Just periodically use (train) what you are going to race in, or a like of.  I never liked bike specific bibs, way to much for me.

2017-09-18 9:19 PM

Originally posted by mortirolo

Probably this question has come up before.....I currently train in bibshorts, I haven't entered my 1st triathlon yet and my main training goal is an Ironman end of June 2018! Should I be wearing tri shorts or bibshorts to train with? Or is this a personal choice, I mean tri shorts seem to have minimal pad protection but I have been thinking of changing to tri shorts so I can get use to minimal pad support in a race scenario and also I want to start running after a bike ride..........and I've always wondered what pros train in also?

Your tri suit never fits as snug as the first time. Don' worry about the feel in a race, you're going hard enough that you won't notice. Now, if I ever did a full, I'd probably change into a bib and jersey for the bike and then running shorts and singlet for the run. Unless you're trying to crush a time, I'd prioritize comfort.
2017-09-19 3:28 AM

User image

Think I might try to your routine, I will try a tri short for a long ride and do any brick in my tri shorts. At least this will give me the feeling how a tri short feels, after any of these long rides I will run afterwards in my tri short.

A few of you have mentioned the DeSoto brand, I'm not aware of this brand maybe a North American brand. In UK, Castelli seems to be a very popular tri short or compressport so I'll try either of these. Castelli being cheaper and Castelli do tri suits, though I won't a try tri suit yet with winter approaching.

Thanks

Edited by mortirolo 2017-09-19 3:37 AM
2017-09-19 9:02 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
It's not the cheapest option.....but, I train in the same suits I race in. DeSoto Riviera Fly Suits.

I have DeSoto 400 mi. bibs.....but I've grown to not like that much of a pad. I can't tell the 7mm pad (fly suit) is there when I run. I've run 3 HIMs and bricks up to 90/14 in the fly suits with no chafing (if you prep correctly )
2017-09-19 3:48 PM

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ

I always train in bib shorts and I don't know a single pro that doesn't wear bibs. Pro rides in trisuits on the bike in races because changing in and out of clothes is too time consuming.
2017-09-19 4:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX

So ambitious to do an Ironman in less than a year and not done even a sprint triathlon. I'm impressed! (and I remember planning to do the same...or at least trying to).

Train with bibs. For everything less than a Half Iron race you won't even notice you're in tri-shorts in a race but you will almost certainly notice the tri-shorts in training. Assuming you already cycle then you know there is also a wide variety of bib support, chamois widths etc. that in of themselves create the question as to "which should I get".

For a half iron, if you notice it, it will be late in the cycle leg and put up with the discomfort.

For an Ironman unless you are a contender I recommend changing into bibs for the bike and run shorts for the run. It is what I did and even with the bibs had to re-apply chamois creme at mile 65-'ish.

Edited by FranzZemen 2017-09-19 4:59 PM

2017-09-20 3:57 AM
in reply to: ThomasGerlach ProTri

User image

It mustn't be good for you wearing tri shorts on long rides, discomfort and possible risk of injury so I'm not surprised pros use bibs unless it's race day, though I'm going try once and see how it feels.
2017-09-20 4:12 AM

User image

Yes very ambitious I've been told by friends. Do a 70.3 they say not 140.6!

I'm the kinda guy who has set a goal won't change that goal or easily change that goal. I have a few Ironman veterans in my cycling club that are helping me. I've chosen Nice, France because it's a hilly bike ride that will suit me as I'm a good climber and ridden most of the bike route before. Swimming I'm finding hard running also, lets see how my training progresses. At any point if I think Nice is not possible early next year, I'll quit. I'm competing in some sprint triathlons coming up shortly.

A cyclist will always say Assos is the king of the bibs!

I think your point about changing into bibs unless your a contender is a good tip. I just want to finish in a reasonable time, last thing I want to is feel discomfort on the chamois.

Options to think about......

Edited by mortirolo 2017-09-20 4:13 AM
2017-09-20 10:58 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
One Co's "bib" may be = another Co's tri (pad).

I don't really see how one could make a comparison across brand lines.

If riding in my bibs (larger pad) was more comfortable, I'd do it. It's not (for me).

Good luck!
2017-09-20 11:02 AM
in reply to: nc452010

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Personally I hated bibs, so I only train and race in tri shorts. But whatever works for you!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri shorts or bibshorts Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

cycling shorts for century ride

Started by bnsafe
Views: 840 Posts: 7

2017-05-29 11:55 AM Oysterboy

Tell me again why I shouldn't wear core shorts all the time

Started by nc452010
Views: 1754 Posts: 15

2017-05-11 11:28 AM JohnnyKay

Short Cranks, Compact Chain Rings, Advantages? Pages: 1 2