General Discussion Race Reports! » Diamondman Challenge Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Diamondman Challenge Sprint Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Bear, Delaware
United States
Pirahna Sports
52F / 11C
Total Time = 1h 58m 12s
Overall Rank = 84/129
Age Group = M 55-59
Age Group Rank = 7/9
Pre-race routine:

Had to get up really early to get out by 4:30 for the 90-minute trip up to Lum's Pond. Ate half a bagel and some cinnamon toast.
Event warmup:

Got into the water a little before the start to get acclimated to the chill factor.
Swim
  • 30m 10s
  • 880 yards
  • 03m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

Getting to the first buoy didn't seem to take that long, but from there to the next seemed to take forever; took several minutes before I could even spot it since we were swimming into the rising sun. I focused on the flailing arms and legs in front of me, water droplets and wetsuits shimmering, and at a couple of notches in the trees to stay more or less on the proper line. Even from there to the end seemed long. And I pretty much followed my swimming plan, with no really long breast stroking breaks. In the end, with my Garmin reading almost 1200 yards, I'm guessing this course came in somewhere between 1000-1100 (discounting the 100 or so yards from the beach into transition).
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really, beyond pick a race that does a more accurate job marking their course distances, but that impacted everybody the same as me and my swim placing was about where I'd expect it to be.
Transition 1
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

Absolutely shocked that this was 54th of 129 contestants. I mean, I was not moving fast here and both heels got stuck on the wetsuit. I was real close to the bike exit, but still...stunned.

Need to workout the wetsuit removal a little better, how to get it off the heels faster. But pretty decent overall.
Bike
  • 47m 35s
  • 14.5 miles
  • 18.28 mile/hr
Comments:

Pretty happy with the ride; rode with a good a cadence and my best ever AP/NP in an effort that seemed relatively comfortable, pretty much right at the edge of comfort. Sustained it pretty well too. Passed a couple, got passed by a couple. Nice sustained pace.

Nothing; good ride.
Transition 2
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

59th here too, not as surprising as T1 but I did struggle with shoes here. Ran out putting on the race belt and hat, so made up a few seconds with that.

Not much.
Run
  • 36m 23s
  • 3.3 miles
  • 11m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Despite my not liking this course, I was making reasonably decent time until I seriously twisted an ankle (hope that's all it is) on one of those roots or rocks. I actually hit all fours as a result, came up with a bloody scraped knee in addition to the ankle issue. Guess I'm lucky I didn't do anything to my hands or wrists. This happened at around the two-mile point. I walked for a good bit after the incident, then did some shuffling/jogging interspersed with walking for the remainder of the race, so I'm guessing the last 1.3 miles took 15-16 minutes. Quite a bummer since I'm concerned it might result in a season-ender...Hoping for some good recovery over the next three weeks.

Not pick an event with an off-road run course. I know people love running on trails, but I've never been comfortable with anything more than a gravel road. I knew there was off road paths to this run, but didn't realize it would be to this extent. Probably would've done it anyway, but going forward? Nope...will be pavement only for me.
Post race
Warm down:

Sat under the medical tent while TSW and a paramedic cleaned my knee and put some frozen compresses on my ankle.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

A slow swim (on which I remain convinced the issue was a mis-measurement) and an injury-plagued run.

Event comments:

Despite the overall organization, something seemed off about this race and not up to Piranha's normal standards. I know the owner is retiring and he's sold the company and the races, so maybe that had an effect, but it just seemed like they were phoning it in today.

Last updated: 2017-09-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:10 | 880 yards | 03m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/9
Overall: 110/129
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra Vortex Sleeveless
Course: Kind of a lop-sided parallelogram, around which we swam counter-clockwise.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:30
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:47:35 | 14.5 miles | 18.28 mile/hr
Overall: 59/129
Performance: Good
HR averaged 141 with a max of149. Power was good here, with AP/NP at 178/186 and cadence came in at 82!
Wind: Little
Course: Big square around Lum's Pond State Park. Originally scheduled for 19.5 miles, local road construction necessitated cutting the course back. Not a great course because there was a lot of traffic, construction vehicles everywhere, and, save for the road to and from the park entrance, a lot of commercial activity.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 82
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:32
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:36:23 | 03.3 miles | 11m 02s  min/mile
Overall: 94/129
Performance: Bad
Averaged 155 with a high of 167
Course: Difficult run course, seemed to be mostly through dark woods on very rutted and rocky hiking trails. Some on grass, very little on pavement.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2017-09-19 1:34 PM

Subject: Diamondman Challenge Sprint Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Diamondman Challenge Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Seahorse Challenge Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by drconnelly85
Views: 858 Posts: 1

2017-05-28 8:30 PM drconnelly85

Buzzard's Bay Sprint Triathlon

Started by bn0909
Views: 1060 Posts: 1

2016-09-27 9:16 AM bn0909

White Lake Fall Sprint Triathlon

Started by Maria527
Views: 1355 Posts: 2