General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First brick attempt attempt today Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-10-06 10:31 AM

User image

Subject: First brick attempt attempt today
I will be attempting to ride 16 miles and run 4 miles afterwards in an attempt to get an understanding of where my fitness is at. This will be one of my first attempts at this so I expect a lot of walking during the run.

Anything else I should expect?

2017-10-06 10:51 AM
in reply to: SoggyDollars

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: First brick attempt attempt today

Ride at an intensity based on the length of time that the entire session will take you, not on how hard you can ride for 16 miles.  Almost everyone bikes too hard when first learning how to execute a multisport session, then doesn't understand why they can't run off the bike.  They usually blame fueling or fitness, when the real culprit was pacing.

Have fun!

2017-10-06 11:01 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

^^^ What Don said. Plus, I would focus on establishing your proper running posture ASAP on the run. Have fun!
2017-10-06 4:53 PM
in reply to: #5229297

User image

Subject: RE: First brick attempt attempt today...UPDATE
Ok so I have no idea how I did this but my goal was 2hrs for this trial. Not sure how I came up with this number other than I was hoping for 1hr bike 45 min run 15min buffer. During the bike somehow I had a 20MPH headwind both directions (seamingly Ha)! Ended up with an average of 15mph. Good or bad I'm not sure but it was an effort. Expecially when I ride a Kmart blue light special Schwinn Mirada (THE BEAST)! I think i did a 5min transition from dropping off my bike to the start of my run due to logistics of condo living. First half a mile of the run my legs felt extremely heavy. The thought of 4 miles was doable but I broke it up with a run/walk technique. I figured I had zero chance of making my 2hr goal with how my legs felt. With how bad I felt during this trial it was all worth it when I hit the stop on MAPMYRIDE. To my shock and extreme happiness I stopped the clock at 1hr 57minutes!! (Somewhere I just saw someone roll thier eyes at this time)

I haven't felt this good since I began running and hit all the small goals along the way!! Moral of this story is that I believe I can do this thing called Triathlon! I have a long long way to go but my first day running was a half mile out and walked back!

Thanks for all the advice! I had fun!!!
2017-10-06 5:57 PM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Sounds like you made it okay. What distance tri are you planning to do? For a shorter tri your workout seems to be more than necessary. It's like you were combining two sear ate workouts into one, rather than just doing a brick workout. My bricks for a sprint would be more like 5 mile bike at a hard effort followed by a 1 mile run. For an oly it would be more like 10 bike/2 run. No need for more as the goal is to simulate running off the bike, not to combine two workouts. The other goal of bricks is to practice fast transitions. Spending 5 minutes for transition erases that.you need to figure out a way to mimick a transition area so you can practice this important skill.
2017-10-06 6:09 PM
in reply to: #5229330

User image

Subject: RE: First brick attempt today
This was just a trial run to see what its like to bike then run. No clue why i did this other than I had nothing else to do. I am actually running a marathon in March but then transitioning into triathlons. My plan is to finish the marathon then train for triathlons. Starting off with a few sprints then working my way up. I wont be doing this bike/run trial again for a while.

2017-10-08 9:05 PM

User image

Ventura, California

Congrats on a solid effort. Thats a great way to test things out. Awesome bike ride by the way. Those K-mart Schwinn's are what about 40lbs?, with a headwind and still averaged 15mph! lol  Just looked up the bike, 41lbs!!! 

Getting off that heavy bike and getting out on the run must have felt great heavy legs and all.

First brick was a smashing success, solid kudos. Keep pushing yourself, your doing great.

2017-10-09 6:30 AM
in reply to: #5229332

User image

Thanks for the support!! The whole thing is encouraging. I am by no means light on my feet at 240lbs but the bike riding is easier than the running according to heart rate on my running watch. I am getting excited to complete my first sprint triathlons next year for sure!!
2017-10-09 11:45 AM

User image

Most recommend the run to be between 15 - 20 minutes for a brick, just to get the legs into smooth running mode.
2017-10-09 12:09 PM
in reply to: #5229400

User image

Thanks for the heads up. I guess I used the wrong terminology when I said "brick". I assumed it meant doing two of the legs back to back. Ive also read I should do 4:1 ratio. Thats why I did 16:4. No matter what I accomplished my goal. I appreciate the advice tho because I am very green at all of this triathlon stuff. So thank you again
2017-10-09 3:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
Great effort! I think the feeling in your legs at the beginning of the run is pretty common for most. But the legs usually loosen up and settle in, just like you experienced. Once you start tri's next year, you might think about running off the bike at least 1-2 times per week even if it's just 1 mile. I've done it on short and long rides and it has really helped me.

2017-10-09 3:54 PM
in reply to: b2run

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by b2run Most recommend the run to be between 15 - 20 minutes for a brick, just to get the legs into smooth running mode.

That's called a transition run.  A brick generally has a longer run.

2017-10-09 3:57 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by SoggyDollars Thanks for the heads up. I guess I used the wrong terminology when I said "brick". I assumed it meant doing two of the legs back to back. Ive also read I should do 4:1 ratio. Thats why I did 16:4. No matter what I accomplished my goal. I appreciate the advice tho because I am very green at all of this triathlon stuff. So thank you again

You used the term correctly.  You did a brick.  There's no set ratio of distances for the legs.  You can do almost any combination depending on the objectives of the session.  You can even do other variations like bike-run-bike-run, swim-bike, swim-run, run-bike-run, etc.

2017-10-10 12:48 PM

Subject: RE: First brick attempt today
Congrats on your fist brick - it does get easier! Also, FWIW, I know you're training for a marathon, but there's no reason why you can't start incorporating some swim and bike at this time. Both my husband and I are training for a half / full marathon in March, but we'll continue to swim and bike throughout the winter. Plus, I suck at swimming, so I really need to work on it more.
2017-10-10 2:31 PM

User image

Thanks for the discussion! This is great. I will consider doing more swimming and biking before my marathon. I am not looking at a time to beat for the marathon but to just complete it. (The voice on my shoulder says under 5hrs tho) I have no excuses not to do the swim as I am across the street from a nice little jetty. Plus its still 90 degrees!! As I progress into the triathlons I am going to be more active in this community! I have found that where I live there are big running communities as well as biking groups. However there are no real triathlon groups in this area of Florida.

I have not really taken to the cross training since I've become a "runner" but I have found that since my brick attempt my running pace has improved. Maybe just psychological because of how heavy my legs felt or I woke up a different set of muscles. Either way its great!

IM KONA here I come!! (Goals! HA)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First brick attempt attempt today Rss Feed