Other Resources The Political Joe » Trump and the dismantling of Obama's legacy Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-10-16 9:29 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: Trump and the dismantling of Obama's legacy
The left/MSM still don't get it! It is not about Obama or his 'legacy'. It's is about his policies! He took the country hard over to the left and Trump came in and move the rudder back towards the center or some would say to the right.

The idea of a legacy is kind of over rated IMO. Obama's legacy was liberalism and is what helped Trump get elected.

2017-10-16 9:41 AM
in reply to: #5229701

User image

Pro
Tejas
Subject: RE: Trump and the dismantling of Obama's legacy
I think the 'you better love liberalism and the entire agenda or else' mindset got Trump elected. And yet they still project anyone against liberal ideals as a nazi or klan member.

Obamas legacy? His legacy is rooted in political work arounds that can be undone just as easily as they were enacted.
2017-10-16 10:18 AM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Originally posted by mdg2003
rooted in political work arounds that can be undone just as easily as they were enacted.

Same can be said for Trump's legacy so far. Enacting laws is where the rubber meets the road, signing EOs is only good for as long as you are in office.
2017-10-16 10:56 AM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Oysterboy

rooted in political work arounds that can be undone just as easily as they were enacted.

Same can be said for Trump's legacy so far. Enacting laws is where the rubber meets the road, signing EOs is only good for as long as you are in office.

Even enacting laws means little as the ACA is dying for lack of water (government money).

I guess the best/longest/most secure legacy is SCOTUS justices. Trump will likely name at least 2 more - Kennedy and Ginsburg - and as long as this happens BECOFE he loses one or both houses, he will appoint constitutionalist, conservatives who believe the constitution meant to be amended not re-interpreted to account for a changing society.

It Trump can get 5 solid conservatives seated his 'legacy' will last 50 years or so.
2017-10-16 11:48 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Expert
Floriduh
I dunno Rog, if the senate changes hands in the mid-terms (this is a long shot) Trump is done at SCOTUS appointments (re: Garland). Ginzburg ain't going nowhere if Trump is in office, Kennedy is a wild card. Five appointments? Fuggedaboudit.

As far as Obamacare goes, the law was enacted giving the HHS secretary huge discretion in how the programs are administered, so while there are many parts of the law Trump can do nothing about, through admin action he can severely cripple it, and this is what he is doing. Glad I have health insurance and a job.
2017-10-16 1:36 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

I dunno Rog, if the senate changes hands in the mid-terms (this is a long shot) Trump is done at SCOTUS appointments (re: Garland). Ginzburg ain't going nowhere if Trump is in office, Kennedy is a wild card. Five appointments? Fuggedaboudit.

As far as Obamacare goes, the law was enacted giving the HHS secretary huge discretion in how the programs are administered, so while there are many parts of the law Trump can do nothing about, through admin action he can severely cripple it, and this is what he is doing. Glad I have health insurance and a job.

That is what I meant to say about loosing the Senate. If he loses both houses he is a lame duck. If he loses the Senate he won't be able to get a conservative on the bench. Ginsburg has diabetes and is in her 80s. She may will herself to out last Trump but when he number is called....Kennedy is also in his 80s and has give indication that he'd like to retire. If he can flip those two seats there will be 5 solid conservative seats on the bench.....actually 6. If he stays for 8 years and still has the senate then.....well, not much else is likely to change.

2017-10-16 4:59 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

Master
, California

Originally posted by Rogillio The left/MSM still don't get it! It is not about Obama or his 'legacy'. It's is about his policies! He took the country hard over to the left and Trump came in and move the rudder back towards the center or some would say to the right. The idea of a legacy is kind of over rated IMO. Obama's legacy was liberalism and is what helped Trump get elected.

You need to spend about 5 minutes on the west coast and you'd realize that Obama wasn't even close to the far left.

2017-10-16 6:24 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Originally posted by spudone

Originally posted by Rogillio The left/MSM still don't get it! It is not about Obama or his 'legacy'. It's is about his policies! He took the country hard over to the left and Trump came in and move the rudder back towards the center or some would say to the right. The idea of a legacy is kind of over rated IMO. Obama's legacy was liberalism and is what helped Trump get elected.

You need to spend about 5 minutes on the west coast and you'd realize that Obama wasn't even close to the far left.

Same with the I-95 corridor in the North East.
2017-10-16 8:11 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas

He's facing a similar problem obama faced. They both ran into a wall when it came to their own party. Difference being, IMO, the democrats that resisted obama and his agenda were actually listening to their constituents. I don't think they wanted to go that far left, as most democrats probably don't. The gang of pu**ies are resisting Trump just like their counterparts did to obama. The difference here is the gang o' pu** are resisting Trump at the behest of party leadership, not the constituents. That's a problem they need to be penalized for, by the voters. The voters rejected their candidate for POTUS, we can certainly reject their party hacks at the mid terms.
2017-10-16 11:01 PM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Pro

Originally posted by mdg2003 rooted in political work arounds that can be undone just as easily as they were enacted.
The gang of pu**ies are resisting Trump just like their counterparts did to obama.

I don't understand why Trump doesn't grab them!

2017-10-17 7:24 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by mdg2003 rooted in political work arounds that can be undone just as easily as they were enacted.
The gang of pu**ies are resisting Trump just like their counterparts did to obama.

I don't understand why Trump doesn't grab them!

* Aha moment* - He's left out the Tic Tacs!. That's all he needs, Tic Tacs. Then give em all a little kiss and grab em by the hooyah! Those old goats will like it so much even Johnny Mac will toe the line. Look out tax reform and border wall, he they come!

edit to add- Not that I believe a border wall will work, but if he wants one...

Edited by mdg2003 2017-10-17 7:25 AM

2017-10-17 9:38 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I think the majority of his EO's have been to unwind Obama EO's so easily argued either way.

Obama's big challenge when it comes to his legislative victories is that the vast majority of them were simply legislating via EO which isn't how it's supposed to be done.  Outside of the ACA I can't think of any major accomplishments he had (I could be wrong).  No question that he didn't have a friendly congress after they lost the majority, but the reason they lost the majority is because they pushed in a way Americans weren't comfortable going.

2017-10-17 9:41 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Oysterboy I dunno Rog, if the senate changes hands in the mid-terms (this is a long shot) Trump is done at SCOTUS appointments (re: Garland). Ginzburg ain't going nowhere if Trump is in office, Kennedy is a wild card. Five appointments? Fuggedaboudit. As far as Obamacare goes, the law was enacted giving the HHS secretary huge discretion in how the programs are administered, so while there are many parts of the law Trump can do nothing about, through admin action he can severely cripple it, and this is what he is doing. Glad I have health insurance and a job.

I wish I could get real numbers on the ACA and enrollments because I truthfully believe that virtually nobody is using it.  The only part of ACA that was "successful" was the expansion of medicaid because it simply gave free healthcare to millions more people.  Outside of that the whole exchanges and outrageous insurance premiums were unobtainable for anyone.

I know maybe a handful of people who are in the spot of needing to use Obamacare and not a one of them are paying for it because it virtually costs more money than they make (even with the subsidies).

2017-10-17 10:52 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by Oysterboy I dunno Rog, if the senate changes hands in the mid-terms (this is a long shot) Trump is done at SCOTUS appointments (re: Garland). Ginzburg ain't going nowhere if Trump is in office, Kennedy is a wild card. Five appointments? Fuggedaboudit. As far as Obamacare goes, the law was enacted giving the HHS secretary huge discretion in how the programs are administered, so while there are many parts of the law Trump can do nothing about, through admin action he can severely cripple it, and this is what he is doing. Glad I have health insurance and a job.

I wish I could get real numbers on the ACA and enrollments because I truthfully believe that virtually nobody is using it.  The only part of ACA that was "successful" was the expansion of medicaid because it simply gave free healthcare to millions more people.  Outside of that the whole exchanges and outrageous insurance premiums were unobtainable for anyone.

I know maybe a handful of people who are in the spot of needing to use Obamacare and not a one of them are paying for it because it virtually costs more money than they make (even with the subsidies).

Not to mention that there are hyyyyuge deductibles before you are even covered.  This whole "people losing their health care" is a bunch of BS.  Those on Obamacare never really had it in the first place (minus the expansion in Medicaid as noted above).

2017-10-17 11:27 AM
in reply to: 0

Master
, California

I think the majority of his EO's have been to unwind Obama EO's so easily argued either way.

Obama's big challenge when it comes to his legislative victories is that the vast majority of them were simply legislating via EO which isn't how it's supposed to be done.  Outside of the ACA I can't think of any major accomplishments he had (I could be wrong).  No question that he didn't have a friendly congress after they lost the majority, but the reason they lost the majority is because they pushed in a way Americans weren't comfortable going.

Just off the top of my head, I think Dodd-Frank clamped down on a lot of the crazy bets our financial sector was making.  I'm pretty sure Wall Street and big banking still hates it which means it's probably not a bad thing for the average joe

Edit: that was while he still had the majority though, true.

Edited by spudone 2017-10-17 11:27 AM
2017-10-17 12:38 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Just off the top of my head, I think Dodd-Frank clamped down on a lot of the crazy bets our financial sector was making.  I'm pretty sure Wall Street and big banking still hates it which means it's probably not a bad thing for the average joe

Dodd-Frank is mostly window dressing...to think it actually modified bank risk is foolish.  Publicity did as much to force banks to modify risk strategies and banks hate D-F because it is expensive.  

2017-10-17 1:43 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I'm far from an expert on Dodd-Frank, but from what I know I believe it went too far.  I've suffered heavily as a business that hasn't been able to get financing from banks. We basically do services and product resale so we're not heavy in assets.  So banks are forced by the feds to only lend to companies that have assets to cover money loaned which has forced me to grow very slowly through cash flow versus using a bank.  Sure, one can argue that's a good thing, but from an overall economy standpoint me and 100,000 other small business just like me are all having to do the same thing.

Remember, banks are in business to make money and stay in business.  They will never take risks beyond their comfort levels.  Where we got in trouble before was the Federal government backing every single mortgage on earth so banks went to town loaning money.  It wasn't that they were giving out risky loans, it's that the federal government was backing said risky loans.  You could tell banks they can give a mortage to anyone at any income today with no federal guarantee and they'd laugh at you and only give at the level they're comfortable with.
I am good friends with a couple bankers that have ownership interest in their bank and they both have zero issues with loaning me money and have told me straight up that we're good to go, but they have to follow federal guidelines which legally prevent them from loaning me money for growth and expansion.

I honestly don't know if these restrictions are from dodd-frank or some other entity, but it really ticks me off.

2017-10-17 1:56 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

Master
, California

Originally posted by McFuzz

Dodd-Frank is mostly window dressing...to think it actually modified bank risk is foolish.  Publicity did as much to force banks to modify risk strategies and banks hate D-F because it is expensive.  

Well I'll admit that making an example of Lehman Brothers probably did more to scare the rest of them straight than anything else.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Trump and the dismantling of Obama's legacy Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Trump bashing

Started by Rogillio
Views: 637 Posts: 4

2017-03-02 12:50 PM mdg2003

President Trump

Started by Left Brain
Views: 668 Posts: 10

2017-03-02 4:01 PM Hook'em

Obama's Mess

Started by Rogillio
Views: 1079 Posts: 20