Red River, New Mexico
United States
coldF / 0C
Total Time = 7h 30m
Overall Rank = /900
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

We (a group that rides together on Saturdays) all got up, ate a variety of things with peanut-butter, and caravanned into town for the beginning of the race.
Event warmup:

When we got into town we just had enough time to get our bikes down, snap a picture, and head to the starting line. We decided to watch them start and then head out behind the masses.
Bike
  • 7h 30m
  • 100 miles
  • 13.33 mile/hr
Comments:

The first 45 miles were great. The scenery was amazing, and I was feeling pretty good. I think on those first miles rather fondly. I have mixed feeling about the rest of it, though. I hit some sort of wall and had quite a bit of pain from my seat around mile 46. There was a rest stop around 55 miles where we spent a lot of time…fiddled around with my seat. Miles 55-80 were most definitely bearable, maybe even a little enjoyable at times. Miles 80-90 were tough, but I was still laughing.

Miles 90-95 were miserable. We were climbing up Bobcat pass, and I didn’t have anything left. I had to stop several times, and felt like a baby (and a failure) when I walled my bike for 50 yards. Then, I could see the group at the top, got on my bike and rode to the top. I was definitely the one holding my group back when climbing the hills, but they were great…supportive…they even sang. There is NO WAY I would have finished that if it weren’t for them.

Once at the top of the hill, we proceeded to fly down the hill…and headed to the finish line. That was rough.

What would you do differently?:

Be in better shape before attempting anything like that again.
Post race
Warm down:

Took and "after" picture, put our bikes on the car, changed, found food, and began the drive home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

See "what would you do differently"

Last updated: 2006-09-06 12:00 AM
Biking
07:30:00 | 100 miles | 13.33 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/900
Performance:
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: I just stole this from the website... You will begin your tour in Red River (elevation 8,750 ft.). Red River is an old mining town that boomed nearly a century ago when gold was discovered in surrounding mountains. Red River, which sits in the midst of the million plus acre Carson National Forest, has long been a popular four-season resort area. It is noted for its' hiking, fishing, and bicycle touring opportunities in the summer and its' Nordic, Alpine skiing and snowmobiling opportunities in the winter. After leaving Red River, you will proceed sharply downhill 13 miles, passing several National Forest Campgrounds and one large Molybdenum Mine operation on your way to Questa. Making a left turn at the traffic signal in Questa, you continue south toward Taos. At the Lama turn-off our photographer will be positioned to catch you in action. His pictures will be for sale in front of the Red River Town Hall. Proceeding south you will climb up and over Garrapata Ridge. The Sangre de Cristo Mountains will change from forest conditions into a semi-arid environment much like the rest of New Mexico. Approximately 12 miles beyond Questa, you will arrive at the first organized rest stop, just over Arroyo Hondo Hill. Here you can refresh yourself, drop off any extra warm clothing you started the tour in, and be on your way to Taos. The community of Taos is home to the Taos Pueblo, Kit Carson's home and many of the nations finest artists. Proceeding south, you come up to the second stoplight and the highway turns into Paseo del Norte. Continuing straight ahead, the road takes a fairly sharp turn to the right. Watch for Kit Carson Park on your left. This is your next rest stop. Take caution, you must turn left into the park across traffic, watch out for oncoming traffic. After refueling, leave the park, turn left and continue south about one-tenth of a mile past the third traffic light to the fourth traffic light. On the right is the entrance into the Taos Plaza. You will turn left onto Kit Carson Road (Hwy 64). Many riders miss this turn so pay attention to the road signs. If you pass McDonalds you have missed the turn. Follow US Hwy 64 out of town into the Taos Canyon. Another 8 miles from the end of Kit Carson Road is Valle Escondido, where the half-Century riders will finish. Century riders will continue on Hwy 64 East back into the Sangre de Cristo Mountains. You will have a pretty steady climb inside the Taos Canyon for approximately 15 miles to the top of Palo Flechado Pass, elevation 9,100 ft. This road is narrow and traditionally has a lot of automobile traffic. Please ride single file and allow vehicles to pass. When you reach the top of the pass you will find a very welcome and very popular rest stop at the top of Palo Flechado Pass. READ THE ATTACHED PALO FLECHADO WARNING. Leaving Palo Flechado, you will descend into the Angel Fire/ Moreno Valley area. At the bottom of the series of switchbacks from Palo Flechado, you will approach the turn off to Hwy 434 into Angel Fire. At the blinking light you will turn right on to Hwy 434. Head through Angle Fire, traveling 7.3 miles to the Black Lake Fire Station and another rest stop. Here you will turn around and retrace your route back through Angel Fire, on your way to Eagle Nest. Passing through Angel Fire you will notice the Ski resort and Country Club. Angel Fire also has several shops and activities available for guests and locals to enjoy. They have a very active biking and hiking club and are excited to be added to the Enchanted Circle Century Bike Tour. After returning to Hwy 64 from Angel Fire proceed ten miles to the small community of Eagle Nest in the heart of the Moreno Valley. Along this route you will have the opportunity to see Wheeler Peak in front of you on the left and Eagle Nest Lake on your right. Upon entering Eagle Nest, turn left at the junction of Hwy 64 and Hwy 38. At this point you will be heading away from Eagle Nest Lake. Palo Flechado Warning Riders, BE AWARE when descending Palo Flechado. In the past this treacherous pass has been the site of several accidents and injuries ALL caused by cyclists going too fast. The road is rough, narrow, has gravel on the shoulder, steep, and has hairpin turns you wouldn't try at 15 mph in a car. In short, its dangerous if you are going too fast!!! New Mexico motorists are not accustomed to sharing this particular piece of road with bicyclists. Neither are the log trucks. Absolutely DO NOT swing out into the other lane. Avoid the temptation and need to avoid rough pavement by SLOWING DOWN. Pull over frequently and let motorists pass. Ride single file, slowly. CHECK YOUR BRAKES AT THE TOP OF PALO FLECHADO You cannot win this tour by going down, which is what you'll do if you don't carefully descend Palo Flechado. After a careful descent, you'll have the beautiful, 15 mile, flat Moreno Valley in which to make up time. Bobcat Pass will give you an awesome opportunity for setting a new, personal downhill speed record, safely, coming towards the finish line, but beware of the cattle guards.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Bad
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2006-09-13 9:40 AM

User image

Expert
Hawaii
Subject: Enchanted Circle Century Ride

2006-09-27 5:02 PM
in reply to: #539222

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Subject: RE: Enchanted Circle Century Ride

What is it with hills at the end of centuries.  There is something not fair about that..

Way to finish well. 

2006-09-27 8:06 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-09-29 11:04 AM

Elite

Way to go! I hear that it is a relatively tough century with the climb of Bobcat Pass near the end.

Sounds like you have a great group to ride with. I'm sure you have many more centuries in your future.

2006-09-29 11:13 AM

Expert
Central New York
I'm impressed by your perseverance. To make it through the second half with that kind of discomfort shows significant mental fortitude. i'll try to remember that next month when i make my second attempt at finishing a century.

Nice work!
2006-10-05 7:36 AM

Expert
Hawaii

Unfortunately that was just ride time...we were almost the last ones to go through the final rest stop!  It was actually 7 hours and 18 minutes-not as if it made a really big difference at that point, but I'll take it .

It is a tough course, but VERY beautiful.  For that reason, I would recommend it.  Bobcat pass at the very end was a bit brutal...is it an unwritten rule that Century rides have to have a hill at the end?  Bummer.

Thanks for the encouragement, all! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Enchanted Circle Century Ride Rss Feed