General Discussion Race Reports! » Coors Light Trail of Tears Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Coors Light Trail of Tears Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cape Girardeau, Missouri
United States
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 36m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 1/4
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5 AM to drive down to Cape. It was a nice peaceful drive.
Event warmup:

Got to the site in plenty of time. Racked my bike said hi to some familiar faces and chatted pre race with Carree5 and Husband.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 880 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

I totally loved this swim. They started the men in wave one, and the women followed in wave two along with the teams. All the men had bright yellow caps. As i waited for our start and watched the swimming yellow caps i made it my goal to pass as many yellow caps as i could. Then came the start. I took off from the front of the pack and never looked back. It was great. I easily caught the first wave and had plenty of swim space so i kept crusin in. When i finish the swim and run up the boat ramp i hear them say and here comes the first lady, woo hoo thats me!! Mentally here i get a little ahead of myself thinking about the great head start i have.
What would you do differently?:

hmm. Pretty happy with this part of the race. I will always probably think i could have gone a little faster.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Pretty good transition. I bought some of those elastic no tie show laces. This was my first time using them, and i believe they are one of the greatest inventions ever!! I want them for all of my shoes. Grabbed my bike and ran towards the mount line, noticing along the way that not only am i the first female out of the water, but i am one of the first racers perio. AWESOME! Again i get alittle a head of myself and start pondering the chances that i could win the event.

stay focues on the race and not the end results.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 15 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

So I started out on the bike and made it up the first hill just out of the transition, taking off planning to build my lead, at this point i really want to try and win the whole thing! Then around a corner and up a second hill, ut oh not in the right gear. About halfway up i just climb off and run up the hill, then i get back on my bike and go. Here's where the memory gets alittle shady. Its about mile 2-3, and i remember kind looking to the rigbt and noticing the lack of shoulder. Its here that i crashed, pretty hard too! I don't remember the fall at all, i think my body just went into auto pilot, becuase some how i got back up on my bike. I do remember that some guy stopped to help, cause i remember asking him if my chain was off, he said yes, and put it on, then i was off again. I don't really remeber any thing else about the bike course. At some point a guy passed me and told me back was gonna kill me tomorrow, asked me how i went down, to which i replied. "I must have hit my head pretty hard, because i honestly don't remember. I don't remember anything else about the bike course or how i rode it. At the time i knew where i was (in cape doing Triathlon), but i couldn't remember driving down there or details about the morning, so most of the bike ride i was just trying to regain my mental focus.

UMMMM.... STAY ON THE BIKE!
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

About the time i was coming into the tranistion and racking the bike i kinda came out of my haze and snapped back into race mode. Threw the bike on the rack and took off. Thinking four miles to get through.
Run
  • 00m
  • 4 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

Run felt really steady. I think my pace was really pretty good, i wish we would have been able to get split times. I took off and kept looking ahead, seeing the person in front of me and slowly but surely gaining on them until i passed them. Got to say hi to a few racers and raced with one woman most of the last mile. It was a really good run for me. Not to mention every time i passed someone and they saw my bloody back i got afew extra cheers.

Run pace may have been a little to comfortable. Think i could have maybe pushed it just a little bit harder.
Post race
Warm down:

Nice bbq meal for participants along with awards ceremony and door prizes.
Really cool jerseys as prizes for overall winners. Trophies instead of medals for age group winners. Oh yeah and i won a thing of GU as a door prize. The finish area was different from the start area, so we all had to shuttle back to our bikes. Let me tell you 20-30 triathletes on one shuttle bus, makes for a smelly ride!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I would say the fact that i crashed, but i think that maybe i had some really good endorphins going that may have allowed me to perform a little better on the run.

Event comments:

I really enjoyed this race. It was small, but nice. All of the particpants were really friendly. Almost everyone offered to help me bandage up my back, finally the park rangers/EMTS just came by and did it for me, but i appreciated all the offers for help. Volunteers were also very friendly

Last updated: 2006-08-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 880 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/4
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Open water lake. Plenty of room to swim, waves were fairly small. Unfortunately for Caree5 the race missed being wet suit legal by like one or two degrees
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 15 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Performance: Bad
Wind:
Course: What i remember of the bike course is really spotty. I know from what others have told me that there were a few good hills. I only remember climbing one of them in the beginning.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 04 miles |  min/mile
Course: Fairly flat run, with a few rolling hills
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-09-13 11:50 PM

User image

Expert
Phoenix, AZ
Subject: Coors Light Trail of Tears Triathlon

2006-09-14 12:02 AM
in reply to: #540548

User image

St. Louis, MO
Subject: RE: Coors Light Trail of Tears Triathlon
Kerri, this was amazing! That really scares me (yeah, I'm old, I freak out about falling and having others fall or get hurt) to think of you out there on autopilot and not remembering the bike or the fall--you must have been in an endorphin/stress shock or something! Great job, hope you're healing up well. I'm glad you're OK.
2006-09-14 5:56 AM

User image

Expert
Springfield, MO
Good job, especially on the swim.  Sounds like a pretty bad crash - hope all is well.
2006-09-14 8:53 AM

User image

Expert
St. Louis

Damn Kerri!! Way to fight through the mishap.  You're really an amazing competitor.

Keep it up!

~B

2006-09-16 7:10 AM

User image

Hey how is your back doing now? Hope it wasn't too bad! Good luck at the Rex Plex!
2006-09-16 8:31 AM

User image

Master
Des Moines, Iowa
Good race!  I hope to do this one someday...sounds like a good one.  Great job :-)

2006-09-16 8:33 AM

User image

St. Louis, MO

You are tougher than me! I would've bagged it after I fell! Great race, even with some unplanned stops!

Hopefully, we will meet at this RecPlex as I hope to volunteer (but they are slow in getting back to me...)

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Coors Light Trail of Tears Triathlon Rss Feed