General Discussion Race Reports! » 3.1k OWS - Pto. Cabello Naval Base Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

3.1k OWS - Pto. Cabello Naval Base - SwimOther

View Member's Race Log
Puerto Cabello,
Venezuela
Total Time = 1h 01m 1s
Overall Rank = 125/243
Age Group = Male 30-34
Age Group Rank = 17/26
Swim
  • 1h 01m 1s
  • 3100 meters
  • 01m 58s / 100 meters
Comments:

The start was really exciting as it was in deep water. A true slugfest!

Being slow, I had people swimming over and under me. I couldn't see the second buoy so I just followed any feet I had in front of me. Turned out OK.

I fell into rythmn and tried, to no avail, to find to some people to draft off from. It's amazing how people change pace in these swims. If I would do that, I'd probably DNF!

About half an hour into my swim, I start getting passed by the pink caps. Men were given a 5 min. head start...and most of us needed it, too. I proudly got beaten by 22 female swimmers!

After rounding the last buoy, I started swimming next to/behind a guy with really colorful speedos, unlike mine. When he swam freestyle, I could keep his pace and even pass him, but when he frequently alternated to breastroke for sighting purposes, I'd be left behind!

As we came into the final stretch, it turned into a race between me and him. I finally pulled out whatever strength I had in me and beat acquamarine-speedo guy (speedos are really popular down here, still) in a final "sprint".

For the first time ever, I was dizzy after completing a swim, which I guess means I put in a good effort for my ability.
What would you do differently?:

More structured swim training. I need to get a pro to look at my form. My coach just makes us do set after set, but never corrects our form.
Post race
Warm down:

Got some food and electrolyte drinks and waited for Mayde to come around. This was her first (and my second) OW-only race.

She did it and, as usual, beat both her and my expectations, coming in only 11 minutes after me. Her results: 1:12:02, 12/17 in AG, 39/56 women and 178/243 overall.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Possibly, lack of good form and insufficient swim training. But, I'm still happy with my result.

It seems long ago when I was just starting to learn to swim properly (August 2004). Now I'm pretty close to that elusive (for me) 2min/100 meter mark.

My goal for any upcoming swim-only event will be to place MOP overall/age group. I've still got some work to do.

Event comments:

This was the first time this race was ever held. I truly had low expectations as it was organized by the military, which in this "democratic" country is completely politicized; and this is, after all, an election year. But there was none of that at all.

Live music, beer stands, a beautiful beach in a private & crime-free environment. I absolutely loved it!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-09-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:01:01 | 3100 meters | 01m 58s / 100meters
Age Group: 17/26
Overall: 125/243
Performance: Good
Suit: No wetsuit
Course: Round four bouys and back to starting point. There are rumours that the course was cut short anywhere from 200 to 400 meters.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-09-14 8:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane
Subject: 3.1k OWS - Pto. Cabello Naval Base

1st picture: Start of men's wave

2nd picture: Toward second buoy

3rd picture: from left, Adrian; Eduardo (a sub 13-hr IM preparing for Florida) and speedowearing me.

4th picture: course. Starts toward right, parallel to island, then turns north toward island, left again parallel to island until far buoy (top left) and then south back to starting point.

Edited by dragoman 2006-09-14 9:24 AM

2006-09-18 6:19 AM
in reply to: #540762

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
Subject: RE: 3.1k OWS - Pto. Cabello Naval Base

Nice swim, you always seam to be able to just keep going. 3.1k in open water ! That Is not something I would like to try……………Of course the water there is probably a little bit warmer the here, but still 3k .

Good race and way to pick it up and beat acquamarine-speedo guy

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 3.1k OWS - Pto. Cabello Naval Base Rss Feed