General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Watch Advice: is the Fenix 3 still worth buying Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-02-26 11:41 AM

Subject: Watch Advice: is the Fenix 3 still worth buying
I'm looking for a new multi sport training watch and am in the middle or research hell, please simplify this for me. I have 4 basic requirements:
1) a "reasonable" price
2) multi sport tracking (triathlon profile preferred, but not an absolute deal breaker, running, cycling, swimming metrics are a must
3) daily activity tracking
4) can be worn as an everyday watch
one more for good luck 5) Extra features are welcomed and appreciated, so far as they do not hideously conflict with requirement number 1
I'm zeroing in on the Fenix 3 for $260 Canadian (is it getting too old, will it become unsupported by strava, STRYD, Garmin etc.) I'm also looking at the Suunto Spartan sport w. wrist HR for $470 Canadian (is it worth the extra money for newer tech., will adaptive training be released for the Spartan line). Should I be exploring other options, or wait for the polar V800 replacement? (I keep wondering if the newer watches will add some sort of "coaching" features beyond just the raw data).

Thanks for any advice you can share

2018-02-28 2:48 PM
in reply to: Arschile

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
Subject: RE: Watch Advice: is the Fenix 3 still worth buying

Don't worry about a Garmin Fenix 3 going unsupported.  It was and is extremely popular.  Garmin compatibility is additive in the sense they add new things without breaking old things.  

Beware thickness.  Take the long sleeve shirts you want to wear and see if they fit over the watch.  I have a Fenix 5 HR, the original not the S model.  It's a bit thick for an everyday watch.  It's really too big to be worn comfortably under sweatshirt sleeves, and it doesn't even fit under some of my dress shirts.  It fits comfortably only under loose long sleeves, otherwise it's three quarter or short sleeves for me. That hinders its use as an everyday activity tracker.

2018-03-01 8:23 AM
in reply to: #5238795

I bought the certified refurbished Fenix 3 HR from Amazon last week for $225 and added a three year warranty for $18. I was slightly concerned about size and age, but I'm loving it! I like bigger watches and used to wear a dive watch everyday, so this is no bigger and much lighter than those. I was actually using a Samsung Gear S3 Frontier before this, but the battery life became abysmal on it and I just couldn't stand it anymore. I've had this watch for about a week now and haven't had to charge it after the initial charge when I got it and I've got about 36% left, so I'm loving that! As far as features go it is jammed packed with all sorts of stuff that I've barely scratched the surface of, especially all the training stuff it can do. The screen isn't as pretty as my previous watch, but it's still good and gives much better battery life because of it. It's only been a week, but I'm still loving it and have no regret about buying one.

Lemme know if you have any other questions I could help with!
2018-03-01 1:58 PM
in reply to: StokeTheFire

User image

Veteran
Elmira, ON
Keep an eye out on kijiji or any other local selling sites. I was asking the same question you were a few months ago!

I was able to pick up a Garmin 920XT (used twice) from kijiji for I think it was $200 or $300..(can't remember)

Not sure about the Fenix..but from the price range your talking about, you can easily get a 920XT for that. There were others in Ontario for sale. They are a multisport watch, and I have to admit..pretty slick.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Watch Advice: is the Fenix 3 still worth buying Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Need Help Choosing A Garmin Watch...Or Any Watch for Run/Bike/OWSwim

Started by TheCrownsOwn
Views: 1034 Posts: 11

2017-12-01 8:20 AM TheCrownsOwn

Fenix 3 HR vs 735XT

Started by rebiker17
Views: 1085 Posts: 2

2017-11-16 6:13 PM Jeff B

New Fenix 5X

Started by dworth
Views: 667 Posts: 2

2017-06-16 8:10 AM cartman1966

Tri watch VS. running watch+bike computer.

Started by DaniD
Views: 1361 Posts: 3

2017-04-05 9:41 AM LundyLund

Buying Road Bike (Specialized) - Need Advice

Started by Decoydonna
Views: 1130 Posts: 2

2017-03-04 11:15 AM audiojan