General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sweat Rate Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-02-27 8:24 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Sweat Rate

Hi,

I've been dealing with cramps for many years of my life especially at the 2 hour mark. I finally had enough and got a sweat rate test done.  The results came back as below:

Your Individual Sweat Profile is attached. Based on your sweat sample, our analysis showed your Sweat Sodium concentration to be SEVERE at 124 mmol/L.  David, your electrolyte concentration is extremely high, at our 98th-percentile, resulting in losing over a days worth of sodium each hour on the run. As your sweat rate increases with higher temps, this will get even higher.

I was never taking in that much electrolytes an hour which would be about 1500mg of sodium.  That seems like so much and i'm worried about things like my arteries.  Wanted to get others opinions cause i'm just not sure what to do.  Maybe i'm not meant for endurance.

kind regards,

David 

2018-02-27 11:24 AM
in reply to: drkelly

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Sweat Rate

Originally posted by drkelly

Hi,

I've been dealing with cramps for many years of my life especially at the 2 hour mark. I finally had enough and got a sweat rate test done.  The results came back as below:

Your Individual Sweat Profile is attached. Based on your sweat sample, our analysis showed your Sweat Sodium concentration to be SEVERE at 124 mmol/L.  David, your electrolyte concentration is extremely high, at our 98th-percentile, resulting in losing over a days worth of sodium each hour on the run. As your sweat rate increases with higher temps, this will get even higher.

I was never taking in that much electrolytes an hour which would be about 1500mg of sodium.  That seems like so much and i'm worried about things like my arteries.  Wanted to get others opinions cause i'm just not sure what to do.  Maybe i'm not meant for endurance.

kind regards,

David 

If you're overly concerned, you might talk to your physician about it, however, if you are losing 1500mg of sodium/hour and taking in 1500 mg of sodium/hour, that's a net zero.  I'm not a doctor but I'm not seeing where the concern would be.

2018-02-27 12:01 PM
in reply to: drkelly

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
Consider this:

You're severely dehydrated.

If you don't have enough fluids to dilute the electrolytes, you will have a high concentration.

I too suffer from cramps and it ended IM TX 2014 at run mile 14 curled up in a little ball needing to be carted to the med tent. Groin cramped so bad I could not straighten out. Thought for sure I didn't have enough electrolytes.

They tested me before any IV's. All levels were fine. I was severely dehydrated. I just needed water. Not food. Not salt. Not sports drinks. Water. It was low 80's and wetsuit legal that year, so it was not as hot as TX gets. They gave me a bag of fluids only, no electrolytes, sodium, potassium, nothing. I was ready to go after that (but once you go to the med tent, you're done).

I drink plenty of water on the bike/run and use Hotshot. Yes, Hotshot not my favorite on a hot day, but worked for IMFL 2017 to stave off cramps.

It's not the end of your endurance life. You can work around it.
2018-03-05 7:24 AM
in reply to: #5238845

User image

I have similar numbers. My coach and I decided on a pre-loading method on race week. Also I take on about 1000 of sodium per hour. I don’t think the body can process much more than that, but everyone is different. Trial and error on your training rides is the best way. I did IM Louisville with the changes above and was fine. Best of luck.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sweat Rate Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Marathon Training Pace - Heart Rate Zone

Started by GoFaster
Views: 1389 Posts: 9

2017-08-25 7:34 AM GoFaster

Sudden increase in excessive sweating

Started by marysia83
Views: 784 Posts: 6

2017-07-26 10:27 PM Hot Runner

increasing stroke rate and maintain same #of of strokes?

Started by MuscleMomma
Views: 644 Posts: 5

2017-07-10 9:19 PM MuscleMomma

Chafing and sweating

Started by jessiejackson0007
Views: 568 Posts: 2

2017-02-28 2:38 PM LundyLund

0lder men - what is your maximum heart rate? Pages: 1 2

Started by spudbiker
Views: 10642 Posts: 38

2018-09-17 3:07 PM Micawber