Other Resources The Political Joe » Unintended Consequences Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-02-27 8:30 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: Unintended Consequences
We are a very divided country on so many issues. I think it is great that we have diverse opinion on a variety of issues but I am constantly amazed and amused that people often fail to see the unintended consequences of their actions. Here are a few examples.....

Action:
Removal of confederate statues. The left suddenly decided anything reminiscent of the Civil War and the confederacy is offensive and must be removed so they take it upon themselves to destroy monuments.

Intended consequences: Remove reminders of slavery out of public view

Unintended consequence: Pizz off a lot of people and build a silent resentment

Action:
#metoo

Intended consequences: Make it easier for women to report sexual harassment

Unintended consequence: Men fear be wrongly accused by women so much that even ugly girls can't find anyone to take them home after last call. Men walk on eggshells around women afraid to even flirt with anyone.

Action:
Blame school shootings on NRA

Intended consequences: Protect children

Unintended consequence: Increased membership in NRA, increase gun sales, blowback on the companies cutting ties with NRA.

Action:
Accuse Trump of conspiring with the Russians

Intended consequences: Convince the American people that Hillary actually won the election but Trump stole it

Unintended consequence: FISA court abuse uncovered; FBI misconduct shown; growing evidence of DNC collusion with Russians

Action:
Resist Trump, Trump is not my president, trash Trump in every news article

Intended consequences: Convince the American people Trump is evil so dems can take back Congress and the WH

Unintended consequence: Galvanized Trump's base supporters; media loses all credibility

2018-02-27 8:38 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Unintended Consequences

I've got my own problems........

Action - crabbed to wife about grilled chicken 3 nights out of 5

Intended consequence - a more diverse and colorful diet with many choices

Unintended consequence - I've had to cook for myself for 3 weeks and I'm amazed how easy it is to just make grilled chicken when I'm busy

Edited by Left Brain 2018-02-27 8:39 AM
2018-02-27 10:50 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Tejas
Your wife cooks? Efkchuck me, I'm doing something wrong.
2018-02-27 12:11 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Veteran
Elmira, ON
Originally posted by Rogillio

We are a very divided country on so many issues. I think it is great that we have diverse opinion on a variety of issues but I am constantly amazed and amused that people often fail to see the unintended consequences of their actions. Here are a few examples.....

Action:
Removal of confederate statues. The left suddenly decided anything reminiscent of the Civil War and the confederacy is offensive and must be removed so they take it upon themselves to destroy monuments.

Action:
#metoo

Unintended consequence: Men fear be wrongly accused by women so much that even ugly girls can't find anyone to take them home after last call. Men walk on eggshells around women afraid to even flirt with anyone.

Action:

Unintended consequence: Increased membership in NRA, increase gun sales, blowback on the companies cutting ties with NRA.

Action:

Intended consequences: Convince the American people that Hillary actually won the election but Trump stole it

Unintended consequence: FISA court abuse uncovered; FBI misconduct shown; growing evidence of DNC collusion with Russians

Action:

Intended consequences: Convince the American people Trump is evil so dems can take back Congress and the WH

Unintended consequence: Galvanized Trump's base supporters; media loses all credibility

Just sitting on the sidelines in Canada here...but isn't this post one sided and divisive? lol
2018-02-27 12:23 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by TheCrownsOwn

Originally posted by Rogillio

Action:

Action:
#metoo

Action:

Action:

Action:

Just sitting on the sidelines in Canada here...but isn't this post one sided and divisive? lol

Why, thank you Mr Canadian!

[Mike grins, removes hat and takes an overly dramatic bow]

Edited by Rogillio 2018-02-27 12:25 PM
2018-02-27 7:18 PM

User image

Bronze member

Action: recommend teachers be permitted to conceal and carry guns at work

Intended Purpose: deter possible school shooters

Unintended Consequence: Teachers on social media revolt and post long rants about how much they already do for their measly salary or detailed descriptions of situations when they had to lock down their entire Kindergarten class in their classroom for 60 min while kids wet their pants and cried for their Moms because a shooter was located in the immediate neighborhood. The next generation has no desire to enter into this thankless field which results in a shortage of teachers. 

I would not encourage either of my children to pursue teaching as a career. 

Edited by trigal38 2018-02-27 7:18 PM

2018-02-27 7:40 PM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Originally posted by trigal38

Unintended Consequence: Teachers on social media revolt and post long rants about how much they already do for their measly salary or detailed descriptions of situations when they had to lock down their entire Kindergarten class in their classroom for 60 min while kids wet their pants and cried for their Moms because a shooter was located in the immediate neighborhood. The next generation has no desire to enter into this thankless field which results in a shortage of teachers. 

... and we have a winner. Thanks for coming Rog.
2018-02-27 11:42 PM

User image

Pro

I can't be that cynical yet.  I know 2 or 3 kids, in just my kid's small circle of friends, who are going to college with the goal of becoming teachers.  If the current teachers want to revolt, and quit......we can get some new ones. 

I hear a lot of frustration because nothing is being done to make sure there are less guns, or no guns.....and it's going to keep being frustrating until that group wakes up and realizes NOTHING can be done at this point to change the amount of guns in circulation.  Time to put the big kid pants on and figure out solutions that have a chance at success.

Edited by Left Brain 2018-02-27 11:43 PM
2018-02-28 4:36 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Of course the fallacy is that teachers would be required to carry a gun. No one has suggested that. I know a lot of teachers have no business anywhere near a firearm. But there are many that would be ready, willing and able to carry a concealed weapon...gun or taser. Not just teachers but maintenance guys, coaches, principles, etc.

FL House just approved teacher carry....if it passes the senate we will see if there are mass resignations.
2018-02-28 6:37 AM

User image

Bronze member

I just meant that this discussion has brought out a lot of posts/blogs/comments from a lot of teachers about the realities/expectations of their job and if your a young person paying attention (which face it, they likely are not ha) why would you sign up for this? 

My sister lives in Oklahoma: http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/education/teacher-shortage-oklahoma-hits-record-for-emergency-certifications-after-just/article_63d0250f-1530-56d6-937e-d45ef4410eb5.html

In our local area: http://www.effinghamdailynews.com/news/local_news/schools-districts-are-searching-for-teachers/article_ecc8713f-0708-5073-a646-9703b109a2f1.html

2018-02-28 7:04 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

I just meant that this discussion has brought out a lot of posts/blogs/comments from a lot of teachers about the realities/expectations of their job and if your a young person paying attention (which face it, they likely are not ha) why would you sign up for this? 

My sister lives in Oklahoma: http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/education/teacher-shortage-oklahoma-hits-record-for-emergency-certifications-after-just/article_63d0250f-1530-56d6-937e-d45ef4410eb5.html

In our local area: http://www.effinghamdailynews.com/news/local_news/schools-districts-are-searching-for-teachers/article_ecc8713f-0708-5073-a646-9703b109a2f1.html

I think our country has really missed the boat when it comes to education. We pay athletes millions for bouncing a basketball and pay slave wages to teachers who hold the future of our nation in their hands. I'm not sure who to blame.....I guess the states. The shortage is a function of wages IMO.....but also the NEA. I will probably step on some toes here.....

I am an electrical engineer with 31 years of experience. I love math. Actually have an (unofficial) minor in math. A few years ago, anticipating a second career after I retire, I went to UAH to the Education department to see what it would take for me to be able to teach HS math. I found out it would take almost 2 years of school taking mostly 'education' classes to get 'certified' to teach. Forget it! Not worth 2 years of my life.

So instead of letting the local schools and/or school boards decide who is qualified to teach, the unions keep the bar high. Presumably the NEA or state teachers' unions. BTW, I think the same thing about the AMA which requires an undergrad degree before you even start medical school....as if English Lit and American history were going to make you a better doctor. They keep the bar high so supply is low and pay is high. Same is true with becoming an lessened electrician. I know more about electricity than most electricians and have designed electrical systems.....I don't know the NEC but could learn and pass the test....but the requirement requires like 2 years working as an apprentice under a licensed electrician before you can even apply. But don't get me started on unions....

I understand we want 'qualified' educators but there should be a fast track for older/wiser people who have life experiences. I guarantee I could teach math better, clearer, simpler and be more fun than a 22 or 23 yo kid who just graduated college with a math education degree.

OK, rant over.

Oh wait....and if I did teach, I'd have concealed carry and would have no problem running into harm's way to take down and active shooter to protect myself and my students.

2018-02-28 9:28 AM

User image

Pro

Yeah, I didn't mean for my post to sound mean spirited, I get it.  Unfortunately, for many, this issue of school violence is very emotional, which makes it hard to pin down solutions.  Hopefully our country can get past the emotion and get something done.

2018-02-28 12:32 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas
No matter where you stand on the issue of arming teachers, hopefully we can all appreciate the humor in this. If not, I sincerely apologize.

(School Staff.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
School Staff.jpg (29KB - 1 downloads)
2018-02-28 12:46 PM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by mdg2003

No matter where you stand on the issue of arming teachers, hopefully we can all appreciate the humor in this. If not, I sincerely apologize.

That is funny IDK who you are!
2018-02-28 1:24 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
"Emotions aren’t what led me to buy a firearm. That decision was driven by the idea driving the “discussion” at the town hall, that security is more important than liberty."

"I Bought My First Gun Because Of The CNN Town Hall"

http://thefederalist.com/2018/02/28/i-bought-my-first-gun-because-o...

2018-02-28 1:34 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Rogillio "Emotions aren’t what led me to buy a firearm. That decision was driven by the idea driving the “discussion” at the town hall, that security is more important than liberty." "I Bought My First Gun Because Of The CNN Town Hall" http://thefederalist.com/2018/02/28/i-bought-my-first-gun-because-o...

That's an excellent article......right on the money!

2018-03-12 4:22 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Unintended Consequences Rss Feed