Other Resources The Political Joe » The Market Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2018-04-04 10:50 AM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Subject: The Market
I pulled this picture off the web, it is a woman at a recent Trump rally. Obviously, she does not have a lot invested in her retirement. The talk of trade wars has cost be at least $20K.

(Woman at Trump rally.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Woman at Trump rally.jpg (60KB - 8 downloads)

2018-04-04 10:55 AM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: The Market

BUY!!!!!

2018-04-04 10:58 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
If all that needed to be done to level the playing field with China was to levy taxes on Chinese imports and not expect retaliation it Obama would have done it. $365 billion dollars of US wealthy is transferred to China every year. China has been eating out lunch for the last 20 years and we need to bite the bullet and stop it.

I have never been a fan of globalization and the 'new world order'. We need to rebuild our industrial base and get back to manufacturing our own products.
2018-04-04 1:04 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Originally posted by Left Brain

BUY!!!!!

I got some Facebook stock I can sell you.
2018-04-04 1:07 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Oysterboy

BUY!!!!!

I got some Facebook stock I can sell you.

I'll trade you my Amazon stock for it....
2018-04-04 1:07 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Originally posted by Rogillio

If all that needed to be done to level the playing field with China was to levy taxes on Chinese imports and not expect retaliation it Obama would have done it. $365 billion dollars of US wealthy is transferred to China every year. China has been eating out lunch for the last 20 years and we need to bite the bullet and stop it.

I have never been a fan of globalization and the 'new world order'. We need to rebuild our industrial base and get back to manufacturing our own products.

I agree, but everything I read indicates that US consumers want the low prices associated with goods manufactured in Chinese labor markets where Joe Lunchbucket makes $0.50/hr. Can't have your cake and eat it too, gotta decide where priorities lie.

2018-04-04 1:25 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Now in positive territory for the day, a 500+ pt. swing in 4 hours (because it almost has to be....the economy is too strong).......these little pimples don't really mean anything.  These economic moves from Trump HAVE to be made and should have been taken care of years ago.   This economy will be on fire in 18 months. 

Edited by Left Brain 2018-04-04 1:26 PM
2018-04-04 1:51 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
I plan to retire in 18 mos, I hope you are right Lefty. Don't wanna eat no alpo.
2018-04-04 3:01 PM

User image

Pro

If you quit reading those liberal rags who want Trump to fail so desperately you get a different picture of the effects of the tariffs.  Over 800 point swing in the DOW today to finish with over 1% gain.  Despite all the doom and gloom forecasts and the fact that only a 3-400 point loss makes the screaming headlines, the Dow is actually up nearly 2%, and the nasdaq more than that, in the last 5 days of trading.

All indexes are nearly even for the year with the Nasdaq at a slight gain.  This is a FAR CRY from "the sky is falling".....and the year is quite young.

2018-04-04 3:20 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

I plan to retire in 18 mos, I hope you are right Lefty. Don't wanna eat no alpo.

Right there with ya bro turned 55 this year and started drawing my Boeing pension but the bulk of my savings is in the market. Looking forward to sitting at home with a drink watching the pool robot cleans the pool Wait, I’m doing that this afternoon....

Attachments
----------------
AC393327-BB2F-44D9-A682-AC4325EF256B.jpeg (2571KB - 16 downloads)
2018-04-04 4:49 PM
in reply to: #5240944

User image

Expert
Floriduh
I plan to work after I retire, just less. Been going to school for new profession. Kinda excited

2018-04-04 8:29 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh

If you quit reading those liberal rags who want Trump to fail so desperately you get a different picture of the effects of the tariffs.  Over 800 point swing in the DOW today to finish with over 1% gain.  Despite all the doom and gloom forecasts and the fact that only a 3-400 point loss makes the screaming headlines, the Dow is actually up nearly 2%, and the nasdaq more than that, in the last 5 days of trading.

All indexes are nearly even for the year with the Nasdaq at a slight gain.  This is a FAR CRY from "the sky is falling".....and the year is quite young.

Frankly, I haven't read the opinion of a single established economist who thinks the current trajectory of tariffs and potential trade wars is good for the US economy in either the short or long term. This is most notable among conservative economists who are strong free trade advocates (Check out what Milton Friedman has said publically: http://www.aei.org/publication/milton-friedman-schools-donald-trump... ) However, these people who are very bright and have spent their lives studying this exact subject are out of favor for those who are acting on impulse and pleasing a political base. I hope things will turn out well, I am dubious.
2018-04-04 9:57 PM

User image

Pro

Yep......it was even worse when Reagan put tariffs in place. 

Look, the current path of trade deficit was unsustainable......just as the current rate of illegal immigration is.  It's about time we got a President with some balls in office to shake that off. 

I'm not a fan of his shotgun mouth and I wish he'd knock it off, but I'll bet the farm on his economic/immigration path.  This is the richest country on the planet......and it's about time we got back to that place instead of capitulating to the "world order".  Fork that.....we ARE the world order. 

The United States has always been the greatest force for good on the planet......even with our warts.  It's time we got back there.  It'll be a bumpy ride, but with the economy hitting on all cylinders it won't be a long one. I'm buying in the same as I have since day 1.......I'm still up over 18% since Trump took office.   The best is yet to come.....the Lib's have got NOTHING except "hate Trump"......well, OK....run with it. LMAO

Edited by Left Brain 2018-04-04 10:01 PM
2018-04-04 10:44 PM

User image

Pro

Oh....a few more notes:

Are you watching the Chinese markets?

Are you watching how Mexico is now responding to the Honduran parade?

Are you watching how N. Korea has settled their arse down?

I wouldn't invite Donald Trump into our home........but I didn't vote for him to have dinner with him.  I voted or him to do the dirty work we have been left with......he's the right guy for that.

Edited by Left Brain 2018-04-04 10:46 PM
2018-04-05 6:37 AM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
I am still dubious but my point of view, and that of many free market capitalists is not in power so I need to take a back seat, for now. But Lefty, the Hang Seng is not doing well:

http://money.cnn.com/data/world_markets/hang_seng/
2018-04-05 7:51 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

I plan to work after I retire, just less. Been going to school for new profession. Kinda excited

Yeah, I will have to do something. I just want to do something else....something different. Just don't know what I want to be when I grow up. I want to 'be my own boss' at something.....where I can talk off and go to the lake if I want to or go hiking, biking, scuba diving, etc. I thought about maybe a seasonal job at like Yellowstone. Years ago we were there and I was talking to the stage coach driver asking him what was he real job. He said he was a school teacher and worked during the peak tourist season months driving the stage coach giving tours/rides to the tourists. Maybe I will drive the Zamboni at the hockey games? I also plan to help build houses for Habitat for Humanity and maybe some other volunteer work. Maybe drive a cab....or work in the tool department at Lowes....or maybe teach HS math. I just don't want to be sitting in front of a computer all day. We went whitewater rafting in Alaska once and I talked to the guide. Found out he teaches snow skiing in the winter and does whitewater rafting guiding in the summer. That sounds fun. Thought about buying a Woodmizer sawmill and becoming a sawyer doing custom sawing turning logs into lumber. I won't be working for rent money....just something to do to stay active.

What is your 'new profession'?

2018-04-05 8:36 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Oysterboy I am still dubious but my point of view, and that of many free market capitalists is not in power so I need to take a back seat, for now. But Lefty, the Hang Seng is not doing well: http://money.cnn.com/data/world_markets/hang_seng/

That's my point.....and our markets are doing fine.  Not exactly the tariff doom and gloom from CNN, huh?

2018-04-05 9:06 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Markets opened up today again. Dow up 200 points.

I think we can all (probably) agree that market volatility is emotional not logical. Day-traders read a headline and move money based on that. My broker friend says we are in a growth period at least for the rest of the year. Anyway, I trust a billionaire's economic policies more than I trusted a community organizer's policies.
2018-04-05 9:14 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Just got coffee in the breakroom and the news on the TV was talking about Trump's latest tweet. I woman that I don't know says, "Oh I wish he'd just shut up. I can't stand to listen to the man." I chuckled and said, "Yeah, the way I've learned to tolerate it is I go look at my 401k." She asked if it was up and I said, "I said the markets are up about 20% since he took office."

2018-04-05 9:32 AM

User image

Expert
Floriduh

I think we can all (probably) agree that market volatility is emotional not logical. Day-traders read a headline and move money based on that. My broker friend says we are in a growth period at least for the rest of the year. Anyway, I trust a billionaire's economic policies more than I trusted a community organizer's policies.

I trust economists who have spent their entire lives studying macroeconomics and market forces more than a developer who has filed for bankruptcy numerous times. But my views are out of favor, for now.

Lefty: The bull market we have had in this country for the last couple of years is largely due to the fact that it is global bull market. The entire global economy is extremely interconnected. You start pulling a thread here and there you risk the whole thing coming unravelled. But I do hope you are right, I remain dubious.
2018-04-05 9:45 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Rogillio Markets opened up today again. Dow up 200 points. I think we can all (probably) agree that market volatility is emotional not logical. Day-traders read a headline and move money based on that. My broker friend says we are in a growth period at least for the rest of the year. Anyway, I trust a billionaire's economic policies more than I trusted a community organizer's policies.
I trust economists who have spent their entire lives studying macroeconomics and market forces more than a developer who has filed for bankruptcy numerous times. But my views are out of favor, for now. Lefty: The bull market we have had in this country for the last couple of years is largely due to the fact that it is global bull market. The entire global economy is extremely interconnected. You start pulling a thread here and there you risk the whole thing coming unravelled. But I do hope you are right, I remain dubious.

That's not really true.  The Bull market was largely sustained by quanitative easing practices that kept interest rates incredibly low and made the stock market the most attractive place to put money.  In fact.....if you WEREN'T investing in the stock market while the government WAS TELLING YOU WHAT IT WAS GOING TO DO over the last 6-8 years then you're just not paying attention or don't care about retiring well.  (the collective "you" of course)

Now with Trump taking the brakes off the economy after the recovery it's another no brainer.  I got out of the market completely in the days leading up to Trump being elected President because of the uncertainty of what would happen with the election......it took about 2 months for me to realize that I better get back on the boat.  That gave me 18% in a year.

Our economy is steaming along really well......and forecasts are good for another 2-4 years.  I still can't imagine people who are not investing in the market.....that's absolute craziness to me.  And I'm damn sure not listening to outlets that only want to drag Trump down.....it's all crap.

2018-04-05 9:50 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

I trust economists who have spent their entire lives studying macroeconomics and market forces more than a developer who has filed for bankruptcy numerous times. But my views are out of favor, for now.

Lefty: The bull market we have had in this country for the last couple of years is largely due to the fact that it is global bull market. The entire global economy is extremely interconnected. You start pulling a thread here and there you risk the whole thing coming unravelled. But I do hope you are right, I remain dubious.

Ask 10 different 'professional economist' what is the best economic policy and you will get 10 different answers. Right now on the news circuits you can find these 'experts' arguing for and against tariffs. The good news is, we don't have to choose who we are going to believe. If you believed the pundits, the markets and the entire economy was suppose to crash following a Trump victory. Democrats in Congress cited the economic experts to opposing the tax reform package.

I don't care what the experts say. I simply go on-line and look at my 401k and I ask, "Who am I gonna believe, the experts or my lying eyes?"

Edited by Rogillio 2018-04-05 9:52 AM
2018-04-05 11:15 AM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
The QE kept markets liquid in the US and low interest rates and no inflation helped fuel the 1-2% growth we had after the 2008 crash. We can argue about Fed policy during the Obama years but it is not arguable we have a long sustained bull market in this country. If you look at the DAX, FTSE and Hang Seng indices you will see that after 2016 all of them started to rise pretty dramatically. This is the inflection that signifies the beginning of the global bull market. You can say this was Trump that did this, and I am not sure that is entirely wrong, but for whatever reason this whole global economy is up right now. As the single biggest economy we help drive this, for sure, but China and the EU are not far behind and without them helping drive this I do not think we would have seen the gains we have had since 2016.

Read the financial literature out there now, serious investors and economists are nervous. Trade wars do not help, this is the principal issue driving market volatility. These swings are not normal.
2018-04-06 11:41 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
QE hosed part of my long-term investment and retirement tax strategy. It killed the muni bond market. Municipalities were able to call their 20 year bonds early and re issued them at lower coupon rates. My projected 5-7 % return in tax free dollars has dropped considerably. Most munis issued today are in the 3-4% range, not really enough to keep even with inflation. Guess that's good for the overall financial health of the municipalities, which in turn is good for the overall economy. Still, I think it was artificial stimulation that was carried on for far too long. And that QE money didn't come from the QE fairy either. That bill is going to come due some day, right?

A favorite cry from the democrats is class warfare and how the rich are getting richer. All that QE $$ got skimmed off here and there, making a lot of savvy investors(rich people, the Wall St. fat cat, etc.) wealthier. Neither party keyed on this because they likely benefitted from the entire program as well. Everyone except Joe Biden, of course.
2018-04-06 12:30 PM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Originally posted by mdg2003

QE hosed part of my long-term investment and retirement tax strategy. It killed the muni bond market. Municipalities were able to call their 20 year bonds early and re issued them at lower coupon rates. My projected 5-7 % return in tax free dollars has dropped considerably. Most munis issued today are in the 3-4% range, not really enough to keep even with inflation. Guess that's good for the overall financial health of the municipalities, which in turn is good for the overall economy. Still, I think it was artificial stimulation that was carried on for far too long. And that QE money didn't come from the QE fairy either. That bill is going to come due some day, right?

A favorite cry from the democrats is class warfare and how the rich are getting richer. All that QE $$ got skimmed off here and there, making a lot of savvy investors(rich people, the Wall St. fat cat, etc.) wealthier. Neither party keyed on this because they likely benefitted from the entire program as well. Everyone except Joe Biden, of course.

No doubt, if you had a seat at the prime rate window at the Fed during the QE years you got rich with very little work.
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » The Market Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

stock market

Started by dmiller5
Views: 651 Posts: 23

2018-02-07 6:44 AM Rogillio