Other Resources The Political Joe » Shut your pie hole! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2018-04-25 11:45 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: Shut your pie hole!
http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2018/04/25/breitbart-reporter-warner-...

"Breitbart News reporter Warner Todd Huston was recently suspended from Twitter for stating his belief that transgender people suffer from mental illness."

So the US Constitution prohibits the gubment from abridging free speech but we now live in a world where one cannot express yourself without fear of retribution or attack. Just as Laura Ingram and Joy Reid.

I suppose Twitter can block whatever they want to block based on their business model. But I think in doing so they further divide the country.

2018-04-25 12:20 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Shut your pie hole!

I had grown to be a "live and let live" person when it came to social issues......but not so much anymore, because of this type of censorship by the left, who pretty much own most media and social media outlets.  Now it's NO, for me, on every transgender issue or agenda.  In fact, I'm now a flat NO on any liberal issue.

2018-04-25 12:23 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Left Brain

I had grown to be a "live and let live" person when it came to social issues......but not so much anymore, because of this type of censorship by the left, who pretty much own most media and social media outlets.  Now it's NO, for me, on every transgender issue or agenda.  In fact, I'm now a flat NO on any liberal issue.

It's about time you came on board! Now if we can just get Oyst and Dmiller to wise up.....

2018-04-25 12:35 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Originally posted by Rogillio

It's about time you came on board! Now if we can just get Oyst and Dmiller to wise up.....
Dmiller is still young so he'll grow up one of these days. Now oyster on the other hand may be too far gone, he's partially conservative so there is hope.
2018-04-25 12:40 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Originally posted by tuwood

Dmiller is still young so he'll grow up one of these days. Now oyster on the other hand may be too far gone, he's partially conservative so there is hope.

Yes, I can be wrong sometimes.

Twitter is a social platform and can form their own rules but I am a proud supporter of free speech. And, in fact, free speech can be dumb speech as well.
2018-04-25 12:51 PM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Originally posted by Oysterboy

Yes, I can be wrong sometimes.Twitter is a social platform and can form their own rules but I am a proud supporter of free speech. And, in fact, free speech can be dumb speech as well.
I'm not sure where you stand on the issue, but I chuckle watching liberals defend Twitter because it's a business and doesn't have to protect individual rights while attacking a baker because it's a private business and can't violate a individuals rights.

2018-04-25 12:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

i'm only a year away from old age, almost 30

2018-04-25 3:00 PM

User image

Regular
Dont you guys know that freedom of speech only exists if your views trend to the liberal majority? Otherwise, its hate speech.
2018-04-25 5:11 PM
in reply to: hessma

User image

, Arizona
I think Jordan Peterson said it well... "In order to think, you have to risk being offensive".

That said... "freedom of speech" doesn't mean you get to say whatever you want without consequence from the people around you. Yall really need to go read that first amendment again.
2018-04-25 5:42 PM
in reply to: Synon

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Synon I think Jordan Peterson said it well... "In order to think, you have to risk being offensive". That said... "freedom of speech" doesn't mean you get to say whatever you want without consequence from the people around you. Yall really need to go read that first amendment again.

Oh.....so what is the consequence of not agreeing with liberal policies? 

2018-04-25 5:51 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Synon

I think Jordan Peterson said it well... "In order to think, you have to risk being offensive".

That said... "freedom of speech" doesn't mean you get to say whatever you want without consequence from the people around you. Yall really need to go read that first amendment again.

First Amendment has nothing to do with this. Read OP. This is about bullying people to not say how they really feel. It is a dangerously slippery slope. Banning someone from Twitter because they write something that Twitter, as a company, doesn’t agree with is just wrong IMO. Many Americans believe exactly as he wrote. I am one of them. Maybe I will be banned from BT for agreeing with him. Many people earnestly believe abortion is murder....saying that now is deemed hate speech. Who gets to decide what is hate speech?

2018-04-25 7:26 PM
in reply to: #5242272

User image

Expert
Floriduh
“Many people earnestly believe abortion is murder....saying that now is deemed hate speech”

Not commonly.
2018-04-25 11:19 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Arizona
Private businesses do not have to accommodate someones opinions, you are only free of retaliation from the government. I read your post, but several others here seem to think that twitter is somehow violating "free speech rights". If Twitter, or facebook, or BT wants to silence you because they don't like what you are saying, they can, they are not obligated to give everyone their say. Hell I agree that gender dysphoria is a mental disorder (as do the very few trans people I know), but if you can't say that without coming off as a dickhead... then maybe it isn't twitter that is the bully here eh? There are plenty of places on the internet where you can say literally anything you want without worry of retribution, I have a hard time entertaining the slippery slope argument because one man didn't get his preferred soap box.

Edited by Synon 2018-04-25 11:21 PM
2018-04-26 7:03 AM

User image

Pro

Of course it's protections are in regard to the govt.  But that won't stop me, and many others, from taking a hard line against those companies and, most importantly, the ideals they trumpet while disregarding or shouting down others.  You want to see "dickhead"?  Watch me these days every single time someone brings up a leftest ideal or viewpoint........

No.

2018-04-26 8:04 AM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Driven by the ubiquitous and largely anonymous nature of the internet, one can voice whatever view they want and likely that viewpoint will be heard and, most often, responded to negatively. In the past, vile or inflammatory speech was held for "special" occasions like family get togethers (my drunk Uncle Carl comes to mind). Now, we can read that kind of cr@p on the internet all day long if we want. Sometimes it is just someone getting something off their chest, sometimes it is trolling looking to get a inflamed response. Whatever the reason is, if content on the web is going to bother you you should just not read it. Go read a book. Go get a life. Sheesh.
2018-04-26 8:47 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

There is NO content on the internet that bothers me.  I just think all viewpoints should be allowed equal access.  Why would that be a problem for any "social media"?  Hmmmmmm.

Wait......I know.....it's because the people running those sites want to propagate their leftest ideas with no dissenting opinions.  That's bullchit.

Edited by Left Brain 2018-04-26 8:48 AM

2018-04-26 8:47 AM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Champion
Alabama
"Judge rules New York City bar can refuse service to Trump supporter wearing MAGA hat"

http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2018/04/25/judge-rules-new-york-c...

Can you imagine the outrage if a bar refused service to someone because they had on an Obama tee-shirt. OTOH, the bar is calling BS so who knows. LOL

My brother used to work at a car dealership in LA years ago. The sales manager fired one of the salesmen. The salesmen was black and filed a suit claiming he was fired because he is black. In court the manager said, "Judge, I don't know why he thinks I fired him because he is black. He was black when I hired him." The judge said, "Wait, you are the guy that hired him?" He said he was. The judge dismissed the case.
2018-04-26 10:25 AM

User image

, Arizona

There is NO content on the internet that bothers me.  I just think all viewpoints should be allowed equal access.  Why would that be a problem for any "social media"?  Hmmmmmm.

Wait......I know.....it's because the people running those sites want to propagate their leftest ideas with no dissenting opinions.  That's bullchit.

*shurg* Doesn't bother me either, but some people want their safe-space where everyone else parrots the group identity they worship. That's fine with me, I don't think all platforms should be compelled to a place where anyone can say whatever they want. If someone comes into my business harassing other patrons (whether a physical or digital location) I should have the right to ask them to leave, and yes, *I* get to decide what harassment is. Lets be honest here, for most of these sites it's not "leftist ideas" that gets people booted, it's the way people express their "dissenting opinions" that gets them into hot water.

Can you imagine the outrage if a bar refused service to someone because they had on an Obama tee-shirt. OTOH, the bar is calling BS so who knows. LOL

Outrage from a very very VERY small group of people. You seem very keen to look at the extreme toxic end of the political spectrum and put a much larger group of people in that box. That's not reality, we both know this.
2018-04-26 10:36 AM

User image

Pro

*shurg* Doesn't bother me either, but some people want their safe-space where everyone else parrots the group identity they worship. That's fine with me, I don't think all platforms should be compelled to a place where anyone can say whatever they want. If someone comes into my business harassing other patrons (whether a physical or digital location) I should have the right to ask them to leave, and yes, *I* get to decide what harassment is. Lets be honest here, for most of these sites it's not "leftist ideas" that gets people booted, it's the way people express their "dissenting opinions" that gets them into hot water.
Outrage from a very very VERY small group of people. You seem very keen to look at the extreme toxic end of the political spectrum and put a much larger group of people in that box. That's not reality, we both know this.

Nah.....not something like twitter or FB.  I understand your point about "safe spaces" that some people seem to need.....but those large sites that are used basically as news feeds need to be open......it's better for everyone.

No, I don't know how to regulate that, which is why I don't see the need for any regulation or censorship.

What I do know, because I have had to be on the line protecting against it, is that there is now a large element of the left who think shouting down others in public spaces, blocking roadways, etc. is part of THEIR 1st amendment rights.  It's not.  But they have no problem keeping those who disagree with them off of social media.  Can't have it both ways and it's going to blow up in their faces like it did in the last Presidential election......that must be the consequence you were speaking of.  LOL

2018-04-26 10:43 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

I disagree. All it would take is the person to go to the MSM and mention "this racist bar threw me out because I was wearing an Obama tee shirt!" and it would be picked up by every media outlet in the country and spread like wild fire over social media. Remember that pizzeria own that voiced her opposition to homosexual marriage? The MSM was on that like a duck on a junebug! It went viral and dominated the news cycle or a week. And she did not DO anything. She just voiced her opinion and she opposed homosexual marriage and would not cater to a homosexual marriage (as if anyone has pizza catered to a wedding) suddenly she is in the news and there is a boycott movement against her place. If you opposed Obamacare you were accused of being a racist. If you opposed his stupid 'cash for clunkers' program you were a racist. So no, not a small group of people.....the entire MSM and social media.

2018-04-26 10:54 AM

User image

Regular

Relative to outrage, you may be correct that its from a small group, but something like that would be story #1 on every website and news program. MSNBC, CNN, ABC, CBS, NBC, Mother Jones would all lead with that story for days. And then follow up with "conversations about racism in the Republican party" stories for several more days.

2018-04-26 2:59 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Synon Private businesses do not have to accommodate someones opinions, you are only free of retaliation from the government. I read your post, but several others here seem to think that twitter is somehow violating "free speech rights". If Twitter, or facebook, or BT wants to silence you because they don't like what you are saying, they can, they are not obligated to give everyone their say. Hell I agree that gender dysphoria is a mental disorder (as do the very few trans people I know), but if you can't say that without coming off as a dickhead... then maybe it isn't twitter that is the bully here eh? There are plenty of places on the internet where you can say literally anything you want without worry of retribution, I have a hard time entertaining the slippery slope argument because one man didn't get his preferred soap box.

Do you feel the same way about bakers denying service to gays?

2018-04-26 4:34 PM

User image

, Arizona

That's a different scenario, but I do see that as discrimination. Do you think a hotel or a grocery store be able able to deny a sale to a gay person?

I guess we will find out what the supreme court has to say about the matter later this year.
2018-04-26 4:59 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

That's a different scenario, but I do see that as discrimination. Do you think a hotel or a grocery store be able able to deny a sale to a gay person?

I guess we will find out what the supreme court has to say about the matter later this year.

Prat tell, how does a hotel or grocery store know you are homosexual? Just curious, not familiar with the case?

Can you compel a black seamstress to make you triple k hoods? Can you force a homosexual bakery owner to bake a cake proclaiming sodomy is morally wrong? Can you force a Muslim tee shirt shop to print you shirts depicting Mohammad as a pedophile or terrorists?

I’m not advocating a position, just offering food for thought.
2018-04-26 5:15 PM

User image

Pro
Well wait a minute.....its ok for a social media site to deny service based on beliefs and thats NOT discrimination but not providing cake service to a gay person is? How does that work?
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Shut your pie hole! Rss Feed  

of 2