General Discussion Race Reports! » Wildflower Triathlon - Long Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Wildflower Triathlon - Long Course - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Bradley, California
United States
Wildflower Experience
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 44m 20s
Overall Rank = 535/1014
Age Group = M 55-59
Age Group Rank = 19/45
Pre-race routine:

Coming off running Boston on 4/16, I felt fully recovered heading into this race, but probably not fully trained up on the bike, due to both injury rehab and focusing on marathon prep.

Drove up to the race venue midday on Friday for check-in. I'd done the race once before--in 2009--and was quickly reminded how challenging it is to get around the venue, with transition and the expo one mile down from parking and campgrounds. Walked down to get my packet and buy a souvenir t-shirt, but took shuttle back up to my car in the short-term lot.

Spent some time finding a suitable campsite. Got set up and took my bike out for a checkout ride, then hooked up briefly with a friend from my running club. Had a light dinner and went to bed in my new tent at 9.

Got up before dawn and started to get ready. Around 6:45--after re-charging my phone in my car--I got on my bike and rode down the hill to transition.

I was in the 2nd-to-last wave. Forecast called for highs in the mid-80s, so the late start did me no favors. At 7:55, walked down the long rough concrete boat ramp for the hour long wait to my start.
Event warmup:

Other than the bike ride to transition and some light hip stretches, not a thing.00
Swim
  • 35m 39s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

Water temp was great, very little contact throughout, felt very comfortable. Took almost a minute off my 2009 time and hit my target of ~35 minutes.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Really good swim.
Transition 1
  • 05m 48s
Comments:

This was a good transition...took a while mostly because of the tough run up the boat ramp on rough concrete from the swim exit. I was a bit more deliberate getting my socks on than normal and I was wearing different shoes than usual which were slower to strap on.

611 of 1014 o/a - 19 of 45 AG

Have more sunscreen spray left in the can...
Bike
  • 3h 54m 46s
  • 56 miles
  • 14.31 mile/hr
Comments:

Probably my worst performance on the bike ever (other than the year I broke a spoke at Malibu). Lower back tightened up at 12 miles, so I opted not to push it for the rest of the ride. Needed to pee and wanted to stretch my back, so I took a break at 26.5 miles. While at the aid station, I spent about a minute helping a woman who was freaked out about a slow leak in back tire.

Felt better after the break and actually did well on the climbs. But the neuroma in my right foot got bad around mile 40 and I was dealing with that the rest of the way.

On top of all that, my Garmin 910xt was stuck in swim-to-bike transition mode...it was basically just a glorified stopwatch the rest of the day.

No one thing. Just a bad day on the bike...a couple minor, chronic injury issues...long (6 minute) pit stop...and temps spiking into the mid-80s right when I was getting to the well-known "Nasty Grade" at mile 41. Just decided to be present in the ride and set myself up fo have a better run than in 2009.
Transition 2
  • 03m 33s
Comments:

Had to take right shoe off because I could tell I had a pebble in it. Forgot to grab the handheld bottle I brought.

576 of 1014 o/a - 21 of 45 AG

Remember the bottle...
Run
  • 2h 04m 36s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Determined to run the big climb on the trail section of the course and wanted to run the long climb out of "The Pit" around mile 10. Managed the first, but after a stop at a portapotty at mile 6 that was an absolute oven, I realized I was very dehydrated. Ran to about mile 9...did a 1 minute walk break at the top of a climb there. Ran from the turnaround at the bottom of The Pit a short distance up to mile 10, then started doing 2 minute walk breaks, based on feel (heart rate spikes, mostly). Neuroma got back again throughout this section, whether I was running or walking. Ran...and ran pretty fast...on the big Lynch Hill descent the last mile.

Not forget the handheld bottle I brought. Otherwise, this was a good run and I handled the 88F temps as well as could be expected. I was one of very, very, few people running any of the climb out of The Pit.
Post race
Warm down:

Tried to eat and rehydrate. Could tell that I was in danger of passing out when I went to pack my gear, so I took that process REALLY slowly.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Right foot neuroma. 88 degree heat.

Event comments:

As they used to call it: "The One and Only." After a drought-related cancellation last year, the race is back under its "Wildflower Experience" branding...now has a 10 mile trail run, 5K fun run and stand-up paddleboard races added. The Long Course and the overall "Woodstock of Triathlon" vibe remain unchanged and both are worth the effort to do.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2018-01-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:39 | 2112 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 17/45
Overall: 363/1014
Performance: Good
Suit: Vortex 4
Course: Clockwise, rectangular.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:48
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:54:46 | 56 miles | 14.31 mile/hr
Age Group: 37/45
Overall: 855/1014
Performance: Bad
Wind: Some
Course: Mostly rolling loop course with three major climbs in last 15 miles.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:33
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
02:04:36 | 13.1 miles | 09m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/45
Overall: 258/1014
Performance: Average
Course: Winding on-road/off-road point-to-point course. Two major climbs.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2018-05-06 1:41 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Subject: Wildflower Triathlon - Long Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wildflower Triathlon - Long Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Cary Du Classic Long Course and Short Course

Started by jmkizer
Views: 848 Posts: 4

2018-05-04 10:43 AM melbo55

Harvest Moon Long Course Triathlon

Started by StMaas
Views: 724 Posts: 1

2017-09-24 7:27 PM StMaas

Lake Saint Louis Triathlon - Long Course

Started by cmbell
Views: 888 Posts: 1