General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Beginnings Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-05-18 8:39 AM

Subject: New Beginnings
Hello All!

Just a little background about myself, I did a few short distance triathlons a few years back (2014 was most recent) and have been training on and off since then. I do a lot of miles on my bike and run some. Lately I've been putting in the work to do another triathlon but am in need of advise.

I just had a kid 4 weeks ago and the workouts have tapered off significantly. Working towards the goal weekly wasn't too bad to start but as the older she got the last few weeks the harder it is to find time to get the workouts in.

I work from 2PM to about 7-9pm depending on the day. my summer hours are from 6 am to noon. My wife works (2) 12 hour shifts and (2) 8 hour shifts (for school). We own 2 horses and have 10 acres to maintain.

Is there any one who has an extremely busy life and still get their workouts in? Do you have any pointers or suggestions? I am shooting for one sprint and one olympic sometime this year and a half marathon in Sept.

All replies are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Joe

2018-05-18 3:55 PM
in reply to: uni82

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: New Beginnings

You're not alone.  

Training for a sprint can be done in mostly 30 minute workouts.  Even Olympic distance can have most workouts in the 30-45 minute range with an hour ride as your "long ride."  Can you bike commute even 1-2 days per week?  

Now a half-marathon will require building up to 90-120 minute runs which are harder to fit into a busy week.  

2018-05-18 4:55 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by uni82 Hello All! Just a little background about myself, I did a few short distance triathlons a few years back (2014 was most recent) and have been training on and off since then. I do a lot of miles on my bike and run some. Lately I've been putting in the work to do another triathlon but am in need of advise. I just had a kid 4 weeks ago and the workouts have tapered off significantly. Working towards the goal weekly wasn't too bad to start but as the older she got the last few weeks the harder it is to find time to get the workouts in. I work from 2PM to about 7-9pm depending on the day. my summer hours are from 6 am to noon. My wife works (2) 12 hour shifts and (2) 8 hour shifts (for school). We own 2 horses and have 10 acres to maintain. Is there any one who has an extremely busy life and still get their workouts in? Do you have any pointers or suggestions? I am shooting for one sprint and one olympic sometime this year and a half marathon in Sept. All replies are greatly appreciated! Thanks! Joe

My life is as busy s everyone else. I started Triathlon training between kids number 2 and kid number 3, but my running training really changed after kid number 1 and carried over to triathlon when I change sports.   

My work schedule is 8-5 PM (but I rarely leave the office before 6:00 PM).  So...my training time is from 5-7AM in the morning.   I have to be done by 7:00 AM so that I can start the farm chores.  I don't do any work outs in the evening because that is family time.  The only year round public pool in town is less than a mile from my office though so and I can break away long enough on my lunch our to get a mile swim in a few times a week. Saturdays I can do longer works outs and Sunday in my rest day.  So...I alternate run days and bike days in the mornings Monday-Friday, swim on lunch breaks and the only day that training really interferes with thinks like 4 week olds in the home is on Saturday morning. I sometimes am up by 5:00 on Saturdays so that I can get in a 3 hour work out before the family misses me too much.  bu usually have the luxury to sleep in to 7:00 AM on Saturdays.    

It sounds like you could do a 6-8 O'clock training block and a noon - 1:00 PM training block fall to spring move the morning block to 6-8 in the evening in the summer.  With 10 acres of land, if you are like me you will be doing long work outs on many Saturday then go right into 10 hours of work in the yard.  I sometime look at my Saturday Projects as endurance training.  In the 103 Oklahoma heat.  I will schedule my fluid in take, calories intake, etc like some one might do for an Ironman.  :-)  I have built fences, barns, built coops, maintained lawn, maintained gardens, etc.  Like is short.  It is hard to fit everything in, but keeping active sure is a better way to live.  If you aren't working your time seems to disappear with out anything to show for it.  

2018-05-18 8:08 PM
in reply to: #5243421

That's exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks KS so much for the response.

Thinking about my schedule, right now I'm up around 2-3am with the new baby (she's only 4 weeks) but have always been a morning person. When my wife gets up around 7 (she takes the first shift of baby duty in the night) I usually get some shut up from being up so early. I'll try to do a run/bike that early. I don't have access to a pool but have always been a strong swimmer and never had a problem with the swim portion. I don't have access to a pool for a while yet as it's still a bit chilly here in Wi.

Thanks for the heads up and I'm glad I'm not alone. Sometimes I think I'm making excuses to work out but it is literally trying to find the time. I'll kick that morning sleep session a d give it a try.

Joe
2018-05-19 9:17 AM

User image

I took a hiatus from any kind of fitness for 6 months after the twins were born. Family first. Running, cycling, swimming, triathlon, and the likes aren't going anywhere. Don't feel bad about tapering off, having a baby is a 24/7 job.

I actually enjoyed my 6 month break and it gave me a renewed drive when I was able to resume training. Gearing up for Augusta 70.3 in September as we speak. Enjoy the little one and cherish the sweet moments. They grow up fast. My boys just turned 3. Good luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Beginnings Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New Year, new swimming workouts!

Started by swimandreea
Views: 515 Posts: 1

2018-01-03 9:16 AM swimandreea

New Wetsuit Recommendation / Wet suit tears

Started by Kokemartin
Views: 840 Posts: 7

2017-07-11 3:52 PM BikerGrrrl

New triathlon hero