United States
34F / 1C
Precipitation
Total Time = 11h 48m 12s
Overall Rank = 4/27
Age Group = M40-49
Age Group Rank = 2/8
Pre-race routine:

So, we went out for burgers and beer the night before race in Natchitoches, then back to Motel 6 for a rather restless night. Car dealership was facing the hotel and the parking lot lighting was so bright, I could have sworn that they had just opened a Kenny Rogers Roasters...
Event warmup:

It was freezing, so warmup consisted of standing around the bonfire, trying to avoid getting too much smoke in the eyes. Had a couple of cups of coffee to get the heart going too
Run
  • 11h 48m 12s
  • 100 kms
  • 07m 05s  min/km
Comments:

This was my first Ultra, so I literally had no idea what I was doing as far as pacing, nutrition, gear, etc. First half of the race I felt pretty good and at about the 7 mi mark, I found myself out in front of the race. Managed to stay there for about 20 miles, or so. Rolled into camp at the end of lap 1 in 2nd place overall, but still feeling strong. Quick shoe/sock change and I was back out on the course. Loving my OrangeMud Double Barrel HydraQuiver for staying hydrated and carrying gels. Have been running straight water in left bottle and 50-50 coke/water mix in right bottle... Anyhow, got passed up again at about mi 38, at which point I was starting to feel a little fatigue. Grabbed a beer at my next aid station, and suddenly felt much better, and then suddenly much worse as my IT band on right side started screaming at me. Got passed for the last time at about mi 52 in a light rain, after which everything quickly fell apart. Light rain quickly turns into just plain old cold rain, trail turns into a skating rink, and IT band continues to hate me. A lot of walk/run for the last 8 miles or so, which feels like it just takes FOREVER. Finally see the lights and hear the noise of finish line, as it is starting to get dark and real cold. Manage to raise a trot into camp, and I am pretty elated to see that the clock is still under 12:00:00 (Garmin died about 15 miles ago...)
What would you do differently?:

Tape IT Band before race, and maybe walk a few of the steeper hills earlier, instead of just trying to run through everything.
Post race
Warm down:

Absolutely freezing post-race. I shivered uncontrollably despite changing, space blankets, real blankets, hot soup, red beans & rice, Beer. Just couldn't shake the cold and finally decided to head out and find a hotel to stay in for the night. BTW, if you are ever in Alexandria, LA, DO NOT, I say again, NEVER stay at Home Towne Suites. By far the worst hotel I have ever stayed at, and I have been to a lot of S%*&hole foreign countries...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of experience at this distance...

Event comments:

Red Dirt Ultra is simply awesome. RD is simply AWESOME. Course is simply awesome. I will race this event again in the future. Maybe run the 100 mi next time!!!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2018-06-02 12:00 AM
Running
11:48:12 | 100 kms | 07m 05s  min/km
Age Group: 2/8
Overall: 4/27
Performance: Good
Course: This is a beautiful and challenging trail. There are a few spots of loose sand, but they are few and far between. The majority of the trail is hard packed sand - great to run on! There are a few stream crossings from the natural springs in the area, but there are easy ways around these so you don’t have to get your feet wet. But, the chance to spend a few minutes soaking your feet in the ice cold water might be welcome late in the race. There are a few decent climbs on the trail, but these are followed by long, smooth downhills. The first half of the trail is where the majority of the climbs are, the second half is much easier terrain to run. Keep in mind, these are piney woods, so while you are surrounded by trees, there may not always be cover from the sun.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes