Other Resources The Political Joe » Can POTUS pardon himself? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-06-06 11:20 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: Can POTUS pardon himself?
First off I want to thank President Trump for all things I have learned under his presidency about the US Constitution, how the FBI, CIA and NSA operate.

I think this is one of those questions that could be argued either way and would likely end up having to be decided by the SCOTUS in what would likely be a split decision. I have read 'there is nothing in the Constitution that says he can't' and I have read 'it is implicit'. I think both arguments are valid.

I think it's just an academic question though as it would be suicide. The scene that comes to mind is from Blazing Saddles where the Sherriff puts the gun to his own head and says (paraphrasing), "Back off or I will shoot the sheriff!" A president could pardon himself but it would never happen. IMO...I'm usually wrong when prognosticate about Trump!

2018-06-07 3:59 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Can POTUS pardon himself?

The question was posed as a "gotcha" knowing he'd argue he could and the resulting headlines would be clickbait.  

It isn't academic.  

If he were tried and convicted in court without being impeached, he could pardon himself as he's still in the position with that authority.  It would be a bold move to proceed with a criminal trial without first removing the president from office.  (Think of this case...a sitting president could plead guilty and immediately pardon himself.)  

The constitution protects legislators from arrest but was mute on my quick reading of protecting the sitting president.  Once he is out of office (retired, resigned, or removed after impeachment), he could face criminal charges but would no longer be able to pardon anybody.  

2018-06-08 7:51 AM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by McFuzz

The question was posed as a "gotcha" knowing he'd argue he could and the resulting headlines would be clickbait.  

It isn't academic.  

If he were tried and convicted in court without being impeached, he could pardon himself as he's still in the position with that authority.  It would be a bold move to proceed with a criminal trial without first removing the president from office.  (Think of this case...a sitting president could plead guilty and immediately pardon himself.)  

The constitution protects legislators from arrest but was mute on my quick reading of protecting the sitting president.  Once he is out of office (retired, resigned, or removed after impeachment), he could face criminal charges but would no longer be able to pardon anybody.  

Then Pence could pardon him.

I agree it was a gotcha question. I don’t think they could indict him before impeaching him first.
2018-06-08 9:30 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro

They would first need a reason to indict or impeach him........and they don't have one.  This is the biggest cluster fork in the history of cluster forks.

2018-06-08 1:43 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

, Arizona
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tN6GofS3WMU

I guess if he doesn't get to pardon himself, that still leaves dead guys with no criminal record on the table.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y3FzVQi-R8
2018-06-08 2:37 PM
in reply to: Synon

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Synon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tN6GofS3WMUI guess if he doesn't get to pardon himself, that still leaves dead guys with no criminal record on the table. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y3FzVQi-R8

No, no, no......what the President meant is that he would pardon Ali for his loss to Frazier in their first fight.  I think it's a great idea.  Youtube is fake news.

2018-06-09 10:09 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

, Arizona
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Can POTUS pardon himself? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Pardon me sir...

Started by Rogillio
Views: 214 Posts: 2

2018-04-14 5:36 AM Rogillio

Accused Sexual Assaulter POTUS Endorses Accused Pedophile for Governor Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6

Started by ChineseDemocracy
Views: 2789 Posts: 128

2017-12-15 6:04 PM Rogillio

POTUS Question

Started by Rogillio
Views: 837 Posts: 15

2017-09-27 7:59 AM Rogillio