United States
62F / 17C
Precipitation
Total Time = 7h 07m 6s
Overall Rank = 1194/1508
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 29/50
Pre-race routine:

I checked in and got my wristband on Friday afternoon (took the day off). Jason's commencement was Saturday at 1 and wasn't sure how I would do that plus bike check-in so just wanted it done. Turns out I needed a ticket to his commencement so couldn't go anyway, but no lines so that was nice. Friday night was Ross's grad party, so ate a ton of Mexican and 2 Spotted Cows.
Saturday we had a salad for lunch, then went to Alaina's grad party. Had a hot dog and slaw salad and cake there. Got to Olin right at 4--David was the last one to check in. Racked our bikes--5th row down, 10th bike in. Took the computer off and put it in the Bento box since it was gonna rain all night, and had an Orange Hammer and Vanilla Gu in there as well. Stopped at Simply Swim on the way home so David could buy new goggles--bought clear Caymen's since it's supposed to rain all day tomorrow. Dinner was spaghetti w meat sauce, cheesy garlic bread at home. Got everything organized. Rain was in the forecast for the entire day, so I packed each part into it's own bag to keep stuff dry. Swim bag had wetsuit, cap, goggles. Bike bag had shoes/sox, helmet w clear glasses in it, blue shell, pink gardening gloves, and pink chamois shorts--big towel to sit on and small towel to wipe feet. Peri bottle in backpack. Run bag with running shoes, race belt, and visor. Had a body glide in small front pocket. Made 1/2 PBJ sandwich for the bike, put in bag but left it open so it could dry out a bit. Had another plastic bag packed with
quart of Fruit punch gatorade, 2 water bottles of water, flask w Coke, small profile container with the 2 straws, a banana, and then the sandwich. Went to bed around 9pm and actually slept pretty well.
Event warmup:

Set the alarm for 4:15, put on my Couer top and shorts with Marji's sweatshirt over. Pink flip flops. Used tri slide to crotch and chest--ended up working great. Forgot to spray it on my neck. David made French toast, I had 2 pieces of that with PB and maple syrup and half a greek yogurt. Had a good poo. Brought a banana and had a big bite while in transition. Left the house around 5am. Got to the Alliant around 5:30, it was pouring out, and the busses weren't moving (apparently they delayed them cuz there was lightening and they didn't want people out in the transition area). Wore a rain poncho but got pretty wet. While on the shuttle, realized I hadn't cleared my watch. UGH! MAKE A NOTE TO REMEMBER THIS! And this is how stupid I am in the morning--it said 33 "slots" left, my brain subtracted that from 50 so I thought I only had 17. Decided I would lump the swim, T1, bike, and T2 together, so I'd have 14 left for the run. Duh, actually didn't figure this out till I'm typing this and my watch says I still have 15 slots left. Anyway, the Shuttle took us to transition just after 6, got body marked and grass was very soaked and a little muddy. Had put a bag over my profile container, but they had removed it so there was rainwater in it. Oh well. Put Fruit Punch Gatorade in the small container (note for next time, use Coke instead) and filled the big part up to the crack with water. Flask with Coke, nothing on the back. Had made a PBJ sandwich on wheat (half) last night and left it open in the bag so it would dry up a bit. Put that into the Bento box cuz taping it to a wet bike wasn't gonna happen. Ate a big bite of banana and gave the rest to David. So many people were leaving with their bikes, the Swim In was jammed up and there was a big line to get out of transition. Turns out 621 people DNS'd. I decided I'd do the swim, but if it was still pouring when I finished I would bag the bike--gentle rain and I'd keep going. Another 116 ended up with DNF, 57 of them quit after the swim. Apparently a lot of people started the swim then turned around after a couple hundred yards as it was so choppy. Anyway, because David was going to start in front, we needed to get to the beach, but after arriving they announced they were gonna delay the race 1/2 hour as visibility was poor and the kayaks/boats couldn't see us. It was raining and so cold--we were shivering. We had to stand there for 45min until the 7:30 start. We found Craig and hung out with him. I finally had to leave the chute and lined up with the 36-40min folks. Had to wait 43 min until I got to the start, at 7:00 I slowly sucked on an Orange Hammer gel (without water). I had to pee so bad this whole time, but didn't want to deal with the portas, so just held it till the swim. There was a corral we had to go into, and then it became single file down the hill to another corral then start was 1 at a time. The hill was so muddy, we had to hold on to the side rails or we'd slip and fall. That caused a delay in getting people going.
Swim
  • 51m 12s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

Rough swim, didn't put too much effort in since I was all over the place and it was hard to time breaths--didn't want to burn up all my energy, esp since I had just spent 45min shivering while awaiting the start, and another 45min before that. Surprisingly didn't gulp any water, but did miss breaths from time to time. Finger tips were numb like usual--left index and middle were really bad, right index less so. Wish I knew what that was about.
What would you do differently?:

Well, I literally swam once since IMWI last September. The wind and waves were definitely a challenge, and my horrible navigation added a ton of time too. This was my worst swim ever, but I didn't push that hard so I'm actually OK with it.
Transition 1
  • 08m 38s
Comments:

Coming out we went up the boat ramp which was really rough concrete. Got my land legs back pretty quick and unzipped my wetsuit but didn't pull arms out right away since it was so cold out. The whole path back to transition (grass) was now mud. Found a wetsuit stripper on a fairly grassy patch, pulled out my arms and lay down, she and another gal got my legs out and pulled me up by my arms. Thanks so much! Tried to say way to the side of the mud trough, but the fence feet were sticking out so had to watch for those. Feet were solid mud, and the path between the bike racks was all muddy now too. Shoot! Luckily it wasn't raining, so I pulled out my bike bag, sat on the big towel, rinsed my feet w the peri bottle and dried them w same towel, got socks and shoes on, put on my pink chamois shorts, blue shell, helmet and glasses, and pink gloves. Tried to find the least muddy path, but the out line was all mud and nowhere else to go. There was a 'river' in the ditch right outside bike out so my shoes were soaked. Oh well.

I spent a ton of time opening bags, closing bags, covering them with other bags (in case it rained again), cleaning off mud, and walking through the mud paths (too hard to run in the bike shoes since you sunk deeper into mud). I knew it was gonna be a long transition so didn't worry about it. After seeing my swim time, I knew I wasn't gonna break 7 hrs.
Bike
  • 3h 50m 56s
  • 56 miles
  • 14.55 mile/hr
Comments:

Overall it was good, I was just steady, stood up on a few of the hills even though I could just grind up them. Legs actually felt great the last 10 miles, felt pretty strong. Feet were numb, esp the right, and I didn't notice my heel at all. Crotch was killing me, not as bad as I'd expect but glad I had the pink chamois for sure.

Not much for these conditions. It went pretty good. Actually thought I'd be over 4 hours from that headwind.
Transition 2
  • 05m 32s
Comments:

So right after dismount we had to go back through the muddy 'river' ditch, shoes got soaked. Aisles were all mud so I just went down the 3rd one to get back to the far south aisle which was pure mud. Tires were caked, they brushed against all my gear as I racked my bike. Luckily there were only a couple of bikes back so I had a lot of room to work with. I think we had 4 empty slots on our rack--David's rack only had 3 bikes cuz so many people bagged it! (my age group started w 85 people but only 50 finished). Some guy was outside the fence yelling to keep socks and shoes off, that they had water outside the Run Out to rinse feet. I probably stood there a minute trying to decide what to do since as soon as I got back grabbed the 'run bag', took off my helmet, put on the visor, clipped on the race belt, and stood there holding my shoes debating whether to put them on. Looking at the solid muddy aisle, I knew my shoes would get muddy, but just how badly? And what if there wasn't water once I walked thru w my bare feet? I decided to take a chance, so after taking off my bike shoes and putting them under plastic (still thinking it could rain any minute), I peeled off my wet socks, grabbed my running shoes, and went down the chute, that initially was mud up to the top of my feet. When I hit the Run Out, a kid had a gallon jug w water and he poured it while I rubbed my feet. Once they were 'good enough', I found a spot on the concrete to sit down and put my wet socks back on. A spectator was so sweet--he had a pack of kleenex and asked me if I wanted a tissue to dry off with. Since my socks were so wet, it didn't matter so I declined so someone with dry socks could use it instead. Once my shoes were on, I got up and looked at my watch. I had just wasted 1 min 30 sec dealing w my feet/shoes on the run clock that should have been on my T2 time. T2 was slow too due to having to unpack/and pack everything (and my shoe debate).

As above, mud issues mainly, knew this would be a slow transition (should have been 1.5min slower, actually--instead my run time got screwed)
Run
  • 2h 10m 48s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Mile 1: 12:40:57--hit the watch late plus 1:30 shoe time
Mile 2: 7:21:92--part of mile 1 belongs here
Mile 3: 9:17:88
Mile 4: 9:51:11
Mile 5: 9:37:36
Mile 6: 10:02:75
Mile 7: 9:55:17
Mile 8: 10:07:10
Mile 9: 10:13:11
Mile 10: 10:05:12
Mile 11: 10:14:03
Mile 12: 9:59:25
Mile 13: 9:45 (checked my watch at the mile marker but didn't push it to get a 13.1 time)
Mile 13 and 13.1: 11:17:15 --so 1:32 for the last 0.1--not surprising as it was uphill and I went really slow....

I probably needed more fluid, I was down 2# when I got home despite having had 3 little water bottles and 2 half subs and chips. I was sweating like crazy. But I felt good all the way so it was probably fine. Just gotta keep pushing and looking only at the current mile--can't get overwhelmed with the big picture. Was very happy to get a PR, which is really a 2:09:18 cuz of the shoes, but the 2:10:48 is what stands in the books.
Post race
Warm down:

As I was crossing the finish line, I saw David and Craig on the left, and David had a medal around his neck! My photos are funny cuz I had this look of 'oh no you didn't' and I pointed at him. Pretty funny. I had 2 catchers who gave me water and my finisher's hat, and a mylar wrap, I had to stand so the other volunteer could get my chip, and my left calf gave a hint of cramping. I stretched it and no further issues. David and Craig came over--Craig took some photos, but I had to keep walking. Because David couldn't walk at all, I was just walking circles around them as we talked then we went into the food tent. I had a turkey sub and chips, and 2 small bottled waters. I stood the whole time and kept moving my legs while David and Craig sat. It was about 3:30 and because awards were at 4 we decided to just stay there instead of trying to get clothes from transition and come back. The wind was blocked in the tent pretty well so it was fine. At 4:00 I wandered until I found the awards stage down the hill toward the boat launch, so we went there and watched Craig get his 1st place award. He was just a little miffed that David beat him on the swim (and won the Roka prize). We found out the Roka "first out of the water" would be mailed to David, so we left then, taking a long time to get to transition since David was limping so bad. Stopped at the porta to finally pee. Had a fair amount which was good since I hadn't peed since the swim. I took my shoes and socks off and went in barefoot since it was so muddy, and tried to carry my bike but the tires just were caked with mud and it got all over the brakes too. Didn't want to ride it like that. Gathered up the gear without spreading too much mud, luckily had packed extra plastic bags to keep stuff separated. David rode back to Aliant since he couldn't walk, and I walked with a couple of guys from St Louis. Stiffened up a little on the car ride home, but then spent the next hour and a half hosing down the bikes, shoes, bags, doing laundry, soaking the towels, etc. Finally got into the shower around 7, David heated up leftover spaghetti from last night and made a salad, had dinner. Heel was very sore, thought it might keep me up, but having to pee in the night is what woke me.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The morning weather was awful! 621 people took their bikes and left!! The wind was a beast, and 57 more people quit after the swim. Transition was a mud pit, gear was soaked and muddy, so just not a very pleasant situation. The cool temps were unique though, as the past 2 years it was almost 90 degrees and humid, so that allowed me to have an awesome run. All said, it wasn't that bad, and I was glad I had stuck with it. The volunteers were amazing. I can't believe they stuck it out--they were freezing and wet but stayed to help us. Madison is the best community when it comes to the volunteers, for sure!

Event comments:

The course is hard for me but the location can't be beat since I live here, so I'll probably do it again even though it is expensive. Madison's volunteers are THE BEST! Because of the weather I had slow swim and transitions, but it gave me a PR on the run. Plus overcoming the weather and the mud showed me how strong and resilient I can be! It was a good day!

Last updated: 2017-08-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:51:12 | 2112 yards | 02m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 37/50
Overall: 1202/1508
Performance: Below average
Suit: Vortex full
Course: Out, left, back triangle. Water was warmer than the air, but it was still a shock so I ran out a ways, then dipped in and out several times, put my face in, jumped a little, then started to swim. Waves were very tall and triangular, kept breaking when I tried to breathe which was very frustrating. People were spaced pretty good, so not a huge issue there. Peed right away, couldn't fully empty bladder,, so finished that near the end of the out line. Went again halfway along the in line--don't know how I can make so much pee in such a short time, but I guess I was out there an awfully long time. Rain had stopped, so that wasn't an issue, but very wavy and I kept going off course. Was literally going in then out of the buoys, just had a poor sense of direction with the waves. Probably swam an extra half mile!
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 08:38
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:50:56 | 56 miles | 14.55 mile/hr
Age Group: 42/50
Overall: 1357/1508
Performance: Average
Temp was 64, winds were 11mph ENE initially then all East on the way back (figures). Tail wind out was nice, tough coming back.
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Shell was perfect--kept the wind from chilling me. Took tiny sip of water and Gatorade right at start but nothing else until mile 10 when I ate 1/4 of the sandwich and a gulp of root beer. Then started sipping Gatorade. Had ridden the course once this year--was the same as last year--so knew what to expect. People went very slow down the country club and observatory hills since sharp left at bottom. Tons of people passed me (155 to be exact), but I knew I'd get them on the run so just rode easy. Had another sandwich bite and coke gulp at mile 20, and started getting the ischemic abd pain so decided I was eating too much or the gatorade was causing problems. Only took sips of water until mile 40. Skipped the mile 15 water stop since I wasn't drinking much at all, then refilled my tank with water at mile 30. Lost the black cover--think it stuck to the water bottle nozzle I jammed in and probably tossed it with the bottle. Didn't keep a bottle on back since I knew I'd have plenty to finish the race. Had a 3rd bite of sandwich and coke around mile 40, some brief cramping but then stomach seemed ok. Tried to lean back a bit to stretch out my abdomen in case my intestines were just crushed up together. That seemed to help too. Really had to pee, but the pain seemed too high to be that. No more gatorade, did sip a little more coke, only had 4oz total, and at mile 50 sucked on the vanilla Gu for a mile. Was doing 15mph--got to mile 30 at exactly 2 hrs, then the headwind slowed me down. Even though the end had fewer hills I just couldn't make up the time (was 8min behind after observatory). Was actually quite warm, unzipped the shell a bit. Would have liked to have unzipped the sleeves a little but too hard w the gloves on. Put the gloves in the shell pockets at mile 50 so I could deal with the GU, hands were fine those last few miles.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 05:32
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:10:48 | 13.1 miles | 09m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 29/50
Overall: 1194/1508
Performance: Good
66 degrees with East winds and some major gusts, esp the last part of Nolen Drive--yikes! The breeze was good, it made me feel like I wasn't hot even though I was sweating like crazy.
Course: Big loop around Lake Monona, I think it was the same as last year. Started jogging and got passed by a couple of people right away--I caught them later except for 1 girl who looked like a hardcore runner. I saw the mile marker as I went under the bridge, but then forgot and missed it as I came back, so didn't hit my watch till I was at the end of that out/back and turning right. Made my second mile shorter. Also, 1;30 of it was sitting on the ground, so with that into account, I was probably starting out too fast since I'd already made up the 1:30. Thought about stopping to pee, but the sensation wasn't as bad as it had been on the bike, so I figured I'd go until it got really bad. I did grab a sip of water and Cola at the first stop, skipped the second, then stopped and the 3rd and 4th. Skipped 5, did 6, did 7, skipped 8 (the Redbull party stop), did 9, skipped 10, did 11, skipped 12 and just came in. I passed 163 people, and felt really good. I was determined to keep my cadence up and just keep pushing through. The first half is 'rolling hills', so really tried to take advantage of the downhills and use quick cadence up. From mile 6 on, it was flatter, but the fatigue was setting in, so the focus became just do 1 mile at a time, and they went by pretty quick. I knew I wouldn't beat 7 hr overall time, but knew I could get a run PR--my previous was last year's 2:14. Just kept going...
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes