General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Backstroke Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-06-20 7:54 AM

Subject: Backstroke
I know that the backstroke is the least efficient way to swim, but for the time being, it's what I can do successfully until I can get some coaching and "relearn" freestyle.

Is it OK to backstroke for a triathlon? I do know that my arms will be further out than with freestyle, and I could inadvertently be hit or hit someone else. So I am concerned.

My race is 3 weeks away, and bike and jog are acceptable.

2018-06-20 8:06 AM
in reply to: #5244859

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Backstroke
If backstroke is what you can do fastest and longest, do backstroke. I've ended up doing a lot of backstroke in races because i went out too fast in crawl and then needed to catch my breath. Just roll to your stomach and do one or two strokes of crawl every once in a while to sight. I do it every ten strokes.
2018-06-20 8:54 AM
in reply to: nathan_strahl@yahoo.

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Yes it's OK, but depending on the tri it does pose some challenges.  

Are you currently swimming in a pool?  
If so, can you close your eyes and backstroke the 25 yards/meters without hitting the lane lines?

If you swim indoors, you can use the ceiling as a reference, but in open water, you're at the mercy of the moving clouds and open sky.  How will you stay on course?  

If you do the tri with the expectation of swimming backstroke, seed yourself at the back of your swim wave so other participants don't have to swim around you.  

2018-06-20 1:44 PM

There's a female elite competitor I see every year at a local race....a little more than a sprint...not quite and Olympic who backstrokes the whole swim. She is right there in the mix of the elite leaders through the entire swim leg.
2018-06-20 2:47 PM

User image

Originally posted by nathan_strahl@yahoo.

I know that the backstroke is the least efficient way to swim....

Done properly, it's probably the second most efficient stroke.
2018-06-22 6:49 AM
in reply to: gary p

User image

Veteran
Elmira, ON
Originally posted by gary p

Originally posted by nathan_strahl@yahoo.

I know that the backstroke is the least efficient way to swim....

Done properly, it's probably the second most efficient stroke.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

As for the OP, Whatever gets you to T1 fastest do it. It Triathlons you'll see a gambit of everything. Typically more breast stroke if you can't complete the entire leg in front crawl.

If your doing backstoke...be mindful of those around you. As swimmers bunch up its tough enough as it is..without a front line of site, you could become a human wrecking ball.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Backstroke Rss Feed