Alabama
Subject: It's gonna be a long day today
Can anyone tell me why?

2018-06-21 7:18 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: It's gonna be a long day today

Yeah, because it's the summer solstice.  This is why you aren't a teacher......your tests are too easy.

Edited by Left Brain 2018-06-21 7:19 AM
2018-06-21 7:47 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Left Brain

Yeah, because it's the summer solstice.  This is why you aren't a teacher......your tests are too easy.

LOL! I reckon.
2018-06-21 9:37 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro
Tejas
Thought it was because I woke up at 0630 and couldn't go back to sleep; plus I work til 0130 this AM.

Have to check the Farmer's Almanac, but I think I'm supposed to slaughter a chicken or goat as some sort of offering?
2018-06-21 10:56 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by Rogillio

LOL! I reckon.

Today is the same length as EVERY day, but we do have more daylight than any other day of the year here in the northern hemisphere.  

2018-06-21 11:14 AM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by McFuzz

LOL! I reckon.

Today is the same length as EVERY day, but we do have more daylight than any other day of the year here in the northern hemisphere.  

Well it was kinda of joke.

But if you want to get technical....what is the significance of the Arctic Circle? What is the significance of the Tropic of Cancer?

2018-06-21 11:49 AM

User image

Pro

LOL! I reckon.

Well it was kinda of joke. But if you want to get technical....what is the significance of the Arctic Circle? What is the significance of the Tropic of Cancer?

Uh....the Arctic is a circle and the Cancer is in the tropics......geez, how easy is this?

2018-06-21 12:49 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas

LOL! I reckon.

Well it was kinda of joke. But if you want to get technical....what is the significance of the Arctic Circle? What is the significance of the Tropic of Cancer?

Uh....the Arctic is a circle and the Cancer is in the tropics......geez, how easy is this?

I had no idea cops were so smart.
2018-06-21 12:51 PM

User image

Pro

Dude....I had almost 2 weeks of Pre-Med before I joined the Marine Corps.

Edited by Left Brain 2018-06-21 12:52 PM
2018-06-21 1:18 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas
It shows. You're a fountain of knowledge when it comes to tropical cancers and whatnot..

Edited by mdg2003 2018-06-21 1:20 PM
2018-06-21 1:29 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

You can always tell a Marine....but you can't tell him much. ;-)

"The Arctic Circle is the southernmost latitude in the Northern Hemisphere at which the sun can remain continuously above or below the horizon for twenty-four hours."

In my farmer's terms, above it and the sun don't never come up at all over the course of a day - winter solstice. During the summer solstice it is the point that the sun never sets over the course of a day - summer solstice.

The Tropic of Cancer is the highest latitude where the sun can still be directly over head - summer solstice.

At least that is my understanding. It would really help my teaching ifin' I had a globe, some 3D animated graphics and a 30 page Powerpoint presentation. But as you know, we teachers never get the resources we need!

We were in Alaska on vacation several years ago. We flew to Anchorage then drove to Seward (that was folly) then back north to Denali and on to Fairbanks. Between Fairbanks and Prudhoe Bay on the northern coast of Alaska there is nothing but wilderness.....and a road. So we drove north to the Arctic Circle. Not sure what we expected to see but we had to go. When we go there, there was a state or national park. We pulled in and there was a big sign marking the Arctic Circle. We had driven 3 hrs to 'see it'. We all got out and took a picture then stood there looking at the big sign like the Grisswalds looking at the Grand Canyon....'yup...yup....we are at the Arctic Circle....ok then....let's go". And we drove 3 hours back to Fairbanks.

2018-06-21 9:39 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas

"The Arctic Circle is the southernmost latitude in the Northern Hemisphere at which the sun can remain continuously above or below the horizon for twenty-four hours."

In my farmer's terms, above it and the sun don't never come up at all over the course of a day - winter solstice. During the summer solstice it is the point that the sun never sets over the course of a day - summer solstice.

The Tropic of Cancer is the highest latitude where the sun can still be directly over head - summer solstice.

At least that is my understanding. It would really help my teaching ifin' I had a globe, some 3D animated graphics and a 30 page Powerpoint presentation. But as you know, we teachers never get the resources we need!

We were in Alaska on vacation several years ago. We flew to Anchorage then drove to Seward (that was folly) then back north to Denali and on to Fairbanks. Between Fairbanks and Prudhoe Bay on the northern coast of Alaska there is nothing but wilderness.....and a road. So we drove north to the Arctic Circle. Not sure what we expected to see but we had to go. When we go there, there was a state or national park. We pulled in and there was a big sign marking the Arctic Circle. We had driven 3 hrs to 'see it'. We all got out and took a picture then stood there looking at the big sign like the Grisswalds looking at the Grand Canyon....'yup...yup....we are at the Arctic Circle....ok then....let's go". And we drove 3 hours back to Fairbanks.

I've got the same pic at the equator.

You should have taken the train to Seward. That was some impressive shizz on the way. Bonus, not having to dodge drunks and methheads. Just sit back and watch the scenery.

Edited by mdg2003 2018-06-21 9:41 PM
2018-06-22 6:20 AM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by mdg2003

I've got the same pic at the equator.

You should have taken the train to Seward. That was some impressive shizz on the way. Bonus, not having to dodge drunks and methheads. Just sit back and watch the scenery.

We enjoyed our drive to Seward. The 'folly' thing was a joke. When Seward made the deal to buy Alaska (for 2 cents an acre) it was called "Seward's Folly" as it was believed Alaska was a vast waste land. We visited a glacier there and we took a day cruise out to see wildlife and more glaciers. Also stopped at Fox Island for a salmon bake. On the way back north we went to thru a 2.5 mile long single lane tunnel to Wittier - a very cool coastal town. We also went tot he top of Mt Alyeska - another good touristy stop and very scenic.

2018-06-22 8:42 AM

User image

I am so totally jealous!  That is on my bucket list!

You can always tell a Marine....but you can't tell him much. ;-) "The Arctic Circle is the southernmost latitude in the Northern Hemisphere at which the sun can remain continuously above or below the horizon for twenty-four hours." In my farmer's terms, above it and the sun don't never come up at all over the course of a day - winter solstice. During the summer solstice it is the point that the sun never sets over the course of a day - summer solstice. The Tropic of Cancer is the highest latitude where the sun can still be directly over head - summer solstice. At least that is my understanding. It would really help my teaching ifin' I had a globe, some 3D animated graphics and a 30 page Powerpoint presentation. But as you know, we teachers never get the resources we need! We were in Alaska on vacation several years ago. We flew to Anchorage then drove to Seward (that was folly) then back north to Denali and on to Fairbanks. Between Fairbanks and Prudhoe Bay on the northern coast of Alaska there is nothing but wilderness.....and a road. So we drove north to the Arctic Circle. Not sure what we expected to see but we had to go. When we go there, there was a state or national park. We pulled in and there was a big sign marking the Arctic Circle. We had driven 3 hrs to 'see it'. We all got out and took a picture then stood there looking at the big sign like the Grisswalds looking at the Grand Canyon....'yup...yup....we are at the Arctic Circle....ok then....let's go". And we drove 3 hours back to Fairbanks.
I've got the same pic at the equator. You should have taken the train to Seward. That was some impressive shizz on the way. Bonus, not having to dodge drunks and methheads. Just sit back and watch the scenery.
We enjoyed our drive to Seward. The 'folly' thing was a joke. When Seward made the deal to buy Alaska (for 2 cents an acre) it was called "Seward's Folly" as it was believed Alaska was a vast waste land. We visited a glacier there and we took a day cruise out to see wildlife and more glaciers. Also stopped at Fox Island for a salmon bake. On the way back north we went to thru a 2.5 mile long single lane tunnel to Wittier - a very cool coastal town. We also went tot he top of Mt Alyeska - another good touristy stop and very scenic.

2018-06-22 9:03 AM
in reply to: Faerie66

User image

Pro

How did you put your comment BEFORE the quote?  Now mdg will be screwing quotes up even worse!!

2018-06-22 9:05 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Not so

How did you put your comment BEFORE the quote?  Now mdg will be screwing quotes up even worse!!

2018-06-22 9:21 AM

User image

Originally posted by mdg2003 Not so

I typed at the top instead of at the bottom!  I'm a rebel that way!!!

2018-06-22 9:22 AM
in reply to: Faerie66

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Faerie66

Well you will fit right in here!
2018-06-22 9:44 AM

User image

Pro

Yeah......but......now mdg will try it, and he'll end up with something that will make me want to run outside and rub dog chit in my hair. LOL

2018-06-22 9:50 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Yeah......but......now mdg will try it, and he'll end up with something that will make me want to run outside and rub dog chit in my hair. LOL

Not to be Captain Obvious, but that might be an improvement to your hair! Kind of 'accents' on the two pony tails.
2018-06-22 9:51 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas

Originally posted by Faerie66

Well you will fit right in here!

Welcome to BT Beth.

What do yall mean I'm going to screw up quotes? I don't screw up anything, I merely "enhance' the conversations.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » It's gonna be a long day today Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

It's not jerky.....but still..

Started by Left Brain
Views: 497 Posts: 14

2018-06-13 11:53 AM Left Brain

Memorial Day weekend

Started by Left Brain
Views: 481 Posts: 11

2018-05-31 11:17 AM mdg2003

Valentine Day question