General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Training & Tips Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-06-23 9:59 AM

User image

Subject: Bike Training & Tips
Hey everyone!!

So I just purchased my first road bike, a 2013 Giant Avail for $300. Less than 100 miles and a complete steal! The owner got it to ride with her ex husband, she had no use for it now and sold it for $125 less than she was asking for it, $80 less than I was going to give. My bike guy said I basically stole it at that price. lol I figured after a full tune up, new tires and any add ons, I'll put in over $125 into the bike.

I'm new to the sport and competed my first couple races (sprint distance) on a hybrid bike I found in my dads garage. With the road bike being a completely different style than the hybrid, are there any suggestions on how to train on the Avail or ways to get use to riding it? The day after I got it, I took it for an easy 10 miles, just trying to get use to it. Crazy fast and very smooth.

Any advice, tricks, and tips for a new road bike owner? I'm training for a sprint distance in August, maybe another in September and then a HIM next June.

Edited by remilam 2018-06-23 10:02 AM

2018-06-23 8:14 PM
in reply to: remilam

Subject: RE: Bike Training & Tips
Not really, just enjoy the bike. You're much more likely to have a flat versus your hybrid so always make sure you ride with a spare and flat kit in your pocket/bag and that you know how to change a tube. Congrats on the new ride.

-Mark
2018-06-23 11:02 PM

User image

Grats on the new bike!

My best advice is to make sure you're fit to the bike properly.

This could be as simple as swinging by your local bike shop and ask for some bike fitting guidance.

Just getting a quick set of expert eyes on you while on your bike could save you alot of discomfort and potential injury as well as make you faster!

You want to be comfortable, reasonably aero & in a good position to create power while being efficient.

Best of luck and have fun!

-Matt
2018-06-24 12:55 PM
in reply to: #5244994

User image

Ride more. Best advice anyone gave me. Have fun while you ride is also important.
2018-06-25 9:12 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by remilam Hey everyone!! So I just purchased my first road bike, a 2013 Giant Avail for $300. Less than 100 miles and a complete steal! The owner got it to ride with her ex husband, she had no use for it now and sold it for $125 less than she was asking for it, $80 less than I was going to give. My bike guy said I basically stole it at that price. lol I figured after a full tune up, new tires and any add ons, I'll put in over $125 into the bike. I'm new to the sport and competed my first couple races (sprint distance) on a hybrid bike I found in my dads garage. With the road bike being a completely different style than the hybrid, are there any suggestions on how to train on the Avail or ways to get use to riding it? The day after I got it, I took it for an easy 10 miles, just trying to get use to it. Crazy fast and very smooth. Any advice, tricks, and tips for a new road bike owner? I'm training for a sprint distance in August, maybe another in September and then a HIM next June.

When I started training for triathlons in 2015 all I had was a Mountain bike.  I found an Aluminum frame TT bike in my size for $300 3 months before my first 70.3 race.  I started with some shorter 10 mile rides.  I took an Allen wrench with my so that I could adjust the bike during the ride to get to the proper fit.  After I got the fit right I slowly incresed to longer and longer rides.  It only took about 100 miles in the saddle after the fit was right to fully adjust.  The transition was pretty fast and came by riding the bike and learning how it responded to me on rides. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Training & Tips Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Newbie bike training question.

Started by Parkland
Views: 850 Posts: 10

2018-01-30 7:17 AM Experior

cadence in bike training

Started by panino
Views: 1176 Posts: 11

2018-01-23 3:37 AM jane nair

Spin Class vs Mounted Indoor Bike Training