Esprit Triathlon
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 06m 26s
Overall Rank = 342/382
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 21/24
Pre-race routine:

We arrived at the Parc Jean Drapeau at 8:00 a.m., and parked not too far away(it was already getting busy). We had checked-in at registration the day before, so this morning was spent setting up transition, getting a bite to eat and waiting for the 10:00 a.m. gun. The race was well-organized and clearly marked, so I had no trouble setting up, getting water for my bottles, and finding the start.
Event warmup:

Light jogging and stretching.
Swim
  • 30m 49s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

A rough start! The water was really cold, and all of the women in the race started together, plus all men age 50+, so this was a huge wave. I didn't correctly start my watch at the gunshot, so I didn't clock my swim time. The first 100 yards was a fight for your life; people kicked, pulled, and pushed my head under - yikes! Good practice, I suppose. After 300 yards, I relaxed and focused on my stroke. After two weeks of not being in the pool (having a cold), I did better than expected.
What would you do differently?:

Push back during rough starts; be agressive! be, be agressive!
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

The race results do not give me my transition times; I think this time is added on to each leg. For example, I crossed a mat after swimming, but not when beginning the bike course. Not sure...

Consider skipping bike gloves during a race, and possibly socks.
Bike
  • 1h 25m 34s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 17.43 mile/hr
Comments:

This course was mostly flat, with a few rollers - NOTHING like NH courses, so I loved something different. Today was all about being efficient and fast - changing gears, keeping up speed, staying in the tuck.

Go faster. My muscles were a little out of shape from a lack of racing training; breathing was great, but I think I could have pushed a little harder with my legs.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Fast transition; felt really good to be off the bike - I was starting to get sore being in the tuck and pushing for 1.5 hours; at least with hills, you have some downtime; at this course, it was go-go-go the whole time. I actually welcomed the run.
Run
  • 1h 10m 4s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

Ugh! Here, the drop in training this month was evident. Running around the basin wasn't scenic, and the pavement made for sore joints (pounding). The water stations were placed well, but I should have run with the Fuel Belt, to supplement. This was an incredibly boring run; I really wish they let you run around the park - the (mostly) cement scenery was dull. Running through Athlete's Village was fun, however, with lots of folks to cheer you on.

Run faster, girl, faster!
Post race
Warm down:

Stretching, shower (in the athlete's quarters - so nice!), lots of water and electrolyte replacement. Met up with the rest of the team for photos, and then eventually packed up. I did see Opus after the race, and we compared notes (I hope your cut is healing up!!). Thank you, too for the restaurant suggestions; we ended up eating at Le Taj (yum). It is always fun to see BTers at the races - it makes it friendlier, especially in a new city.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Having a sinus infection for the past two weeks (sluggish muscles, sniffly nose). I did use an inhaler (albuterol) for the first time, after seeing the Dr. last week. I felt this GREATly improved my breathing on the run. My legs gave out before my breathing, for once. And post-race, even the day after, I wasn't as tired as I had been for the other two Olympic's I've done; I think the inhaler helps deliver oxygen to your muscles, so I didn't max them out so much.

Event comments:

The swim was a little scary with the weeds, the bike was AWESOME - so much fun, and the run was boring. That said, the race was very well organized, the weather was beautiful, and our club had a lot of fun in Montreal. I will definitely consider doing this race again.

Last updated: 2006-07-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:49 | 1640 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 17/24
Overall: 256/382
Performance: Average
Ave. 167/186 (overall for the race)
Suit: Wetsuit
Course: The 1.5 Km swim is in the Olympic Rowing Basin. The basin is a 2 Km long, 100 metre wide and 3 metres deep swimming pool. There is no current in the basin. Wetsuits were permitted. The course was 1 lap of 1500 m, a down-and-back swim.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:25:34 | 24.85 miles | 17.43 mile/hr
Age Group: 22/24
Overall: 344/382
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: The race course is Montreal's Formula 1 race track! The race is set up criterium-style on a 4.4 km (nicely paved) circuit. Olympic racers did 9 laps. Keep in mind that Iron, Demi Iron (1/2), and Sprint racers are on the course at the same time. The staggered starts help keep the traffic to a minimum, but it was still chaos, at times. The basin is NOT paved; it is a dredged out canal. The water is murky and there are some very scary weeds growing in there; if you can get past that, you'll be fine!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:10:04 | 06.21 miles | 11m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 23/24
Overall: 355/382
Performance: Below average
Course: The 10 Km run starts on the Voie Maritime on the seaway side of the transition area. You enter the Voie Maritime behind boat hanger No. 9 in the transition area. On the Voie Maritime you will complete the first 300 m of your run. You will then return to the basin and circle the Olympic Rowing Basin 4.6 Km route 2 times. The course will have you pass 1 time to the right of the Finish Line on the water side and through the Triathlete Village. In the TV you run above any swimmers exiting the basin on a run bridge.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %0
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-09-17 2:06 PM

User image

Expert
Haddam, CT
Subject: Triathlon de Montreal

2006-09-17 2:24 PM
in reply to: #543705

Champion
South Jersey
Subject: RE: Triathlon de Montreal

Great race, especially coming back after being sick. Sorry the run was so boring as I know it can make the end of a race tough to get through sometimes.

Did you recently move? That's great you found a tri in your new hometown and were able to meet up with some fellow BTers.

2006-09-17 2:46 PM
in reply to: #543710

User image

Expert
Haddam, CT

Thanks, Lauren!  Yeah, the run was rough; I bribed myself with beer and yummy food to get to the end.  Nope, haven't moved; I still love living in Manchester, NH. 

SEE PHOTOS OF TRIATHLON DE MONTREAL:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLandingSignin.jsp?Uc=7eorcvmy.4w9j43za&Uy=teznrk&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfromshare&Ux=0&UV=443208737740_628180002206

Edited by lobstergirl 2006-09-17 2:54 PM
2006-09-17 4:34 PM

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431

sounds like a fun race and a fun time.  So you went with other members of GSTC?  How cool!

Funny, we went to Le Taj a few years ago when we were up there too.  Great place 

2006-09-17 5:08 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Fun race report.....

You did well after being sick for awhile! Sounds like you enjoyed the bike part!

Esprit is on my list for HIM next year...interesting view of the run ....bike sounds fun though...swim well not as fun but the HIM has less folks. Any other thoughts that may be helpful in me deciding?

Congrats and hope you have a super off season!

2006-09-17 8:23 PM
in reply to: #543782

User image

Expert
Haddam, CT

Hi, Kathy!   

Pros: very fun city (great hotels/food); the island was easy to commute to (10 mins. from downtown); a unique course, GREAT for spectators (if your family is coming, they will be able to watch you the whole time). 

Cons: you might get bored during a HIM (20 laps on the bike, 4 on the run).  Also, although there aren't many competitors in the HIM, you are racing at the same time as the Ironmen and (later in the a.m.) the Olympic competitors, so traffic on the bike course is congested, no matter which length you pick.  Also, practice riding on a very flat course; you have zero downtime (vs. downhills), so your overall energy expenditure is higher (I think). 

2006-09-18 1:22 PM

User image

Great race report! Congrats! You did awesome for beeing sick! I'm glad you had a good time in Montreal.

I agree with you - the run was sooo boring. Can you imagine that I did the laps 4 times??? I'll never do this race again - at least not for HIM or IM - but Sprint or Oly ok. But the bike was really fun, wasn't it?

2006-09-18 1:32 PM

Pro
Good job Katherine! Really happy to have met you and your teammates!

Glad you had an easier time counting your laps than me!
2006-09-22 5:13 PM

User image

Expert
Manchester, NH
Nice race, LG! Thanks for the report. The HIM distance sounds a little tedious?  I can't imagine the full!  This might be a great way to finish up next year's season.  Thanks for the RR, and great job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Triathlon de Montreal Rss Feed