DQ Events
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 33m 37s
Overall Rank = 123/177
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 7/8
Pre-race routine:

Got back from Leeds at 4 yesterday. Jeff and I went to bed at 9:30 to make sure we were rested (and it was super-late for me at that point). I was up at 4:30 to use the bathroom and didn't go back to sleep. We each ate a Clif bar at home, had some water, and managed to get everything into the car (first time with both bikes in the Megaloprius!) and got to the race around 6:15 for an 8 am start.
Event warmup:

Because we were there so early (and I haven't used my bike in over a week), I did a ten minute bike warmup and then a five minute run warmup. I did not try swimming because it was so cool out (in the 60s overnight) and out of fear of aggravating my neck (which still hurt when I raise my right arm above my head).
Swim
  • 07m 31s
  • 440 meters
  • 01m 43s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was only an ok swim. I was really revved up when I got up in the morning, but I started to run out of steam waiting for the swim. I think it showed in my performance. I started at the far right of the group to stay out of the way of some young kids who looked like swimmers. This worked pretty well. The water at Vincentown is opaque brown (it's a cedar pond) so you can't see anyone unless you're breathing or sighting. I had two collisions with (probably) the same person toward the beginning, but then got a lot of open space. I wasn't even bothering to sight the buoys, but was staying behind the group. The turnaround buoy appeared before I knew it and I did a great job just skimming around it, passing someone as I did so. The way back was a little tricky. I was breathing in the direction of the sun with clear goggles (I hadn't wanted to wear polarized ones in that dark water). I had a harder time sighting, so just assumed that as long as I was behind people I was going the right way. I suspect I went a little too far to the inside and had to zig back a bit for the actual swim exit.
What would you do differently?:

Be a bit more motivated on the swim. Also, hit my watch when I cross the timing mat. I saw Jeff coming down into T1 as I exited the water and got distracted calling to him.
Transition 1
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

Slow T1. I jogged over to my bike, turned down the correct row, then lost the bike for a second. I exchanged a few words with Jeff while cleaning off my feet and getting my socks on. The shoes gave me more trouble - my heel crushed the back of the left one and I couldn't unncrush it, so I had to slide my foot out again. I think everything else went smoothly.

Put my shoes on better? I'm not sure what I could have done there.
Bike
  • 50m 33s
  • 15 miles
  • 17.80 mile/hr
Comments:

I started off the bike poorly. I was starting to mount and realized my watch was still on my wrist, so I pulled over by the curb and switched it to my bike before starting. Definitely lost a few seconds there. Once I got started, I was riding really well for the first five minutes or so. Once I was out on Red Lion Rd, I passed Jeff (who had left T1 a bit before me) and several other people while holding a stiff pace. I settled down and slowed down a bit once I got out onto clear road. There were stiff headwinds and crosswinds on along most of the course which slowed us down. I was trying to keep my pace above 18 mph, but it was tough. I kept going into higher gears that I was mashing - I haven't worked on keeping a higher cadence and it showed here. I had the hardest time along the top of the triangle of the loop, where there were really heavy cross-winds. I slowed down to 12 mph at one point. It was really hard to get myself to push through the wind. I also hit a snag near the finish. I approached the turn-off to go back to transition and some runners were out ahead of me. I was unable to pass them safely because I had to turn across them, so I had to slow down for a bit and let them go.

I think it was an ok bike. I might want to work on my cadence, since I've noticed its been low.
Transition 2
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

I think T2 was pretty good. I trotted in, had my bike racked quickly, and got my shoes off smoothly. I grabbed my race belt, watch, and visor and put them on while running. I forgot to grab my water bottle, but it wasn't a very warm day so that wasn't a huge problem.
Run
  • 32m 25s
  • 5 kms
  • 06m 29s  min/km
Comments:

My run started off feeling awful. It took me a few tenths of a mile to get my legs under me and my HR was uncomfortably high. I tried to just stick to my breathing rhythm and go with it. My first mile was just over 10:00, which surprised me, but I gradually lost steam from there. I stayed under an 11:00 pace and did not walk, but it was difficult to keep putting one foot in front of another. A big mental effort was needed. Fortunately, I can handle that now.

This was training. I've been doing Z2 stuff with only a little fast running starting in the past two weeks. I was able to hold a fairly fast pace and very high HR for half an hour, which was impressive considering what I've been doing. I'm sure I'll see big advances in pace over the next few weeks.
Post race
Warm down:

Watched Jeff's finish and walked around with him. Since neither of us placed, we didn't stick around for awards but went out for brunch at the diner.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm sure jet lag played a role.

Event comments:

Very nice small town race.

Last updated: 2018-05-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:31 | 440 meters | 01m 43s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/8
Overall: 30/177
Performance: Average
Suit: CJTC tri top and zoot shorts
Course: Out and back around buoy through a cedar pond
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:04
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:50:33 | 15 miles | 17.80 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/8
Overall: 120/177
Wind: Headwind
Course: Two laps of a triangle-shaped loop which seemed to have headwinds in every direction, except the top which had a stiff cross-wind.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 77
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:05
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good