General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Liability? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-07-23 11:50 AM

Subject: Liability?
Hi all,
Looking for some opinions here.

I would like to host a small (10-15) people at my lake in September for a highly unofficial duathlon followed by BBQ and beer. I know most of the people, but there could be some friends of friends. The road into my lake is a pretty good course for a 2.5/12/2.5 small DU.

The question is, could I be taking on liability in doing this? What if someone got hurt? Could this come back on me? Of course there will be no fee, no volunteers, no timing....just a group doing this and then BBQing. But now days, one never knows.

Am I being overly paranoid here?

Thanks!!

2018-07-23 2:28 PM
in reply to: Burchib

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: Liability?

I host two rides each year, a one-day in May and a two-day in July (which was just this past weekend). In both cases, they're characterized as group workouts with a published route. No entry fee, no sag. For the May ride we gather at a local watering hole after for beer and burgers. For the July ride I provide beer and snacks (sandwiches) after the first day's ride. If I were to charge any kind of fee, even if it were for the food, I'd be opening up a huge door for liability. I have everyone sign a standard waiver before we take off each day. It's a slightly modified USAC waiver (my mod is in the drug statement, changed to say that "I'm not on any substance that will impede my ability to safely do this event."

I post them publicly on Facebook, and discussions go from there.

I would think that including a swim without some kind of monitoring/lifeguard could open up some additional liability, but I'm no expert. Conversely, providing support that's not certified could be worse.

2018-07-23 4:27 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

The short answer is yes.  

If you invite friends over to watch a ball game on TV, your liability increases (but maybe not much).  

If you invite friends over to swim or boat, your liability increases (more than a televised game), maybe a lot more.  

If you invite friends over to ride open public roads, your liability increases (probably less than swimming boating).  

If money changes hands, your liability increases A LOT because you're now offering fee-for-service.  

2018-07-23 4:58 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

Thanks for the input guys!
2018-07-24 7:53 AM

User image

Aledo, Texas

McFuzz is spot on. Your duty to your guests depends on the relationship. If friends, it's lower. If customers, it's higher. Regardless, there is still some level of potential liability. Make sure you have good insurance, and if you are really concerned, you could ask your friends to sign a waiver. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Liability? Rss Feed